12ft / 13ft (3 piece) powerful feeder rod options?

DaveMaggot

Hi all.

I posted a similar thread a week ago so apologies for this but having looked at all 10ft rod options to fit my criteria (and feedback from fellow anglers); I’ve decided to buy a longer rod. So.... I’m now after a feeder rod (3 piece, max 13ft) that will be fine for small fish but also capable of dealing with big carp, barbel on the Severn and chucking out 100g (3.5oz) loaded feeders. Budget circa £200 max.

I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

Shimano Aero X5 Distance Power Feeder (13ft)
Tips: 3, 4, 5oz
Max Cast: 120g
£180

Drennan Acolyte Distance Feeder (13ft)
Tips: 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6oz
Max Cast: 100g
£230

Matrix Horizon XD Class (13ft)
Tips: 1.5, 2.5, 3, 4, 5oz
Max Cast: 130g
£180

Free Spirit CTX Power Feeder Special (13ft)
Tips: 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5oz
Max Cast: 120g
£180

Cadence CR10 Distance Feeder (13ft)
Tips: 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5oz
Max Cast: 150g
£180

Which would you choose (or not choose and why? Many thanks.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
How far do you need to cast?
from what i read of your earlier thread - it was more about fish playing and size of feeder than distance

nejohn

Site Supporter
I will probably get shot for this but as you don't have a Tri-cast trilogy 12 or 13ft , a Tri-cast 4x4 ultralight or Daiwa castizm on your list I would probably go for the Drennan............However I would temper that with you should take a look at the Tri-casts they are very good feeder rods

DaveMaggot

How far do you need to cast?
from what i read of your earlier thread - it was more about fish playing and size of feeder than distance
Not that far really. Maybe 50m max. Like you say, it’s more about having that power in reserve for playing bigger fish but I also want it to be supple enough to still enjoy playing 1-3lb fish.

DaveMaggot

I will probably get shot for this but as you don't have a Tri-cast trilogy 12 or 13ft , a Tri-cast 4x4 ultralight or Daiwa castizm on your list I would probably go for the Drennan............However I would temper that with you should take a look at the Tri-casts they are very good feeder rods
What in particular makes you say the Drennan over the others and why will you get shot lol? Will look at Tri-Cast ??

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
The 12'6 or 13'6 Daiwa Cast'izm would be a good choice for covering the smaller silvers due to it being fairly soft actioned, how that would hold up in a good flowing river i'm unsure. But it would cast a decent weight.

nejohn

Site Supporter
What in particular makes you say the Drennan over the others and why will you get shot lol? Will look at Tri-Cast ??
I am fairly well known for the Acolyte float rods not being to my liking but out of your list it is probably the rod that has the best chance of covering all of your bases, Both of the Tri-cast's however would do a better job in my opinion, the 4x4 is probably the most versatile feeder rod you can buy with probably the exception of the Rive R feeder system (but you don't get much change out of £500 for one of those) and the 12ft trilogy is a really nice med/heavy feeder rod lots of power down the blank for a medium/long cast if needed and also enough back bone for the larger fish but a really nice soft tip section for dealing with soft mouthed silvers if you wanted to cast 70m + you would probably need to look at the 13ft or the 14 if you want that bit extra distance. I have only had a waggle of the Daiwa Castizm in the shop but it just felt a little crisper than the acolyte. Ok the Tri-casts might be a little more expensive but Bobco are doing the excellence for £199 so not that much difference.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have a Shimano 12' - 13' Speedcast 90g feeder rod with various tips, I have no complaints using it,
The new shimano is in similar price range probably a bit cheaper.
One that flits under the radar is the Shakespeare Agility Continental feeder rod, this is a different rod to the standard Agility, comes in various lengths and casting weight, if you can still get one, discounted price around £80

Nicky Dodds

The Matrix Horizon XD 130gr only comes with 2 carbon tips of 2.5 and 4oz as standard. Unfortunately mine rarely gets an outing other than long distance bream fishing and I usually get by with the 100gr version. Chances are it would work on the river but I haven't got round to it yet.

DaveMaggot

The Matrix Horizon XD 130gr only comes with 2 carbon tips of 2.5 and 4oz as standard. Unfortunately mine rarely gets an outing other than long distance bream fishing and I usually get by with the 100gr version. Chances are it would work on the river but I haven't got round to it yet.
Yes but I like that it has a wide range of tip weights even if only a couple are included as standard. Interesting feedback on the Matrix. What rod do you tend to use rather than the XD and why?

Nicky Dodds

I use the 100gr version of the XD for over 50m. The 130 comes out for extra long or if the wind gets up and I need to up the weight to get to where I need to be.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Drennan acolyte distance, loverly rod, or Preston distance master for me, both not silly money, I have both, in 100gram, the preston is stronger than the drennan, I have the preston distance master in 80gram, with is very similar to the drennan in casting ability

DaveMaggot

Drennan acolyte distance, loverly rod, or Preston distance master for me, both not silly money, I have both, in 100gram, the preston is stronger than the drennan, I have the preston distance master in 80gram, with is very similar to the drennan in casting ability
Thanks for the input Mike. Which would you recommend for enjoying playing small fish in a pool but also dealing with large carp and barbel?

I was thinking maybe the Drennan because I can buy the 6oz tip and turn it more into an Avon rod but you own them. :)

DaveMaggot

After more research including watching several detailed videos I've purchased the Preston Distance Master 4m 100g. The one not on my shortlist lol. Thanks @Mike atkinson it seems to be the best fitting for me. Full actioned, soft enough for small fish but with the power for carp and barbel. Looking forward to testing it out!

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
After more research including watching several detailed videos I've purchased the Preston Distance Master 4m 100g. The one not on my shortlist lol. Thanks @Mike atkinson it seems to be the best fitting for me. Full actioned, soft enough for small fish but with the power for carp and barbel. Looking forward to testing it out!
No problem mate, enjoy yer new rod

DaveMaggot

For anyone in future looking at 13ft feeder rods with a wide range of capability; these are the vids that convinced me (along with comments from people who own the rod and messaging Preston).

2lbRoach2hand

Thanks guys - great thread as I am now thinking of a 13ft distance rod myself! I already have the 12ft Browning Sphere 80 gram feeder rod which is an amazing piece of kit but I am looking at something that will have that extra ft in length and capable of 120 gram casting weight. I'm not going to fork out for another Sphere as this rod will be used less but I want something quality. My list came to the following;

13ft N'Zon Z, Black Viper or Preston - can't get any Tri Cast stuff here in Northern Ireland - they just simply won't ship to a local shop for some reason! And as I have never used anything Tri Cast, I've no idea what they are like!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a similar rod to hear their comments - cheers!

DaveMaggot

Thanks guys - great thread as I am now thinking of a 13ft distance rod myself! I already have the 12ft Browning Sphere 80 gram feeder rod which is an amazing piece of kit but I am looking at something that will have that extra ft in length and capable of 120 gram casting weight. I'm not going to fork out for another Sphere as this rod will be used less but I want something quality. My list came to the following;

13ft N'Zon Z, Black Viper or Preston - can't get any Tri Cast stuff here in Northern Ireland - they just simply won't ship to a local shop for some reason! And as I have never used anything Tri Cast, I've no idea what they are like!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a similar rod to hear their comments - cheers!
Obviously I don’t own any of these rods buddy but from my research, I would say either the Shimano Aero X5 Heavy Power or the Cadence CR10 Distance. The reason for those two are they’re both rated at 150g casting weight and so should comfortably chuck 120g.

Shimano Aero X5 Distance Heavy Power Feeder Rod

Cadence CR10 13ft Distance Feeder Rod - Cadence Fishing UK