122lb Norfolk catfish

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
At least it’s not been destroyed. I thought when I first started reading that they were going to destroy it. Some fish that.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t really understand why they don’t accept the record here anymore. They’re here and not going anyway so might as well accept them.

squimp

Site Supporter
It is illegal to ‘keep’ catfish without ILFA (import of live fish act) Authorisation.

That authorisation is not normally granted to any fishery in a flood plain. Indeed a few years ago the EA intimated that it would ‘de stock‘ many unlicensed Catfish fisheries at the owners expense. To my knowledge that hasn’t happened many times, if at all.

The reason the ‘record’ isn’t officially recorded is probably to discourage the illegal import, movement and stocking of catfish. Oak lodge in Essex was a prime example - fish dealers stocking big cats, making lots of money from day tickets and then running rings round the enforcement agencies.

The fact that we now have established catfish populations in many of our significant rivers is another question altogether.......

JayD

I don’t really understand why they don’t accept the record here anymore. They’re here and not going anyway so might as well accept them.
Would you include top mouth gudgeon, motherless minnow, pumpkinseeds, and every other invasive species that's been here a while, in that statement?
Would the list also include signal crayfish, cormorants, and mink? I've asked this question before and the usual answer is along the lines of, 'That's different, it's a fish innit'.
A water near me had some idiot angler introduce catfish into it. The club that ran it, asked that they should be killed if caught, I caught one and killed it as asked. I was called murderer, idiot, and anti, as well as other words that this forums censors would delete. Some of those that were having a go at me, had been posting about obeying fishery rules, just before. They couldn't see the irony in their stance.

The EA regs are pretty ambiguous, and have been lax in enforcing the laws regulating the spread of invasive species.

John

Arch

Site Supporter
Two of my mates with a big cat.

DSCF0576.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Jury is out for me on whether they should have moved it. I know of one syndicate near me with big cats in and am sure at one point the lake at the back of Lavender Hall fishery was said to have small Cats in there but I've never caught or fished for one.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Would you include top mouth gudgeon, motherless minnow, pumpkinseeds, and every other invasive species that's been here a while, in that statement?
Would the list also include signal crayfish, cormorants, and mink? I've asked this question before and the usual answer is along the lines of, 'That's different, it's a fish innit'.
A water near me had some idiot angler introduce catfish into it. The club that ran it, asked that they should be killed if caught, I caught one and killed it as asked. I was called murderer, idiot, and anti, as well as other words that this forums censors would delete. Some of those that were having a go at me, had been posting about obeying fishery rules, just before. They couldn't see the irony in their stance.

The EA regs are pretty ambiguous, and have been lax in enforcing the laws regulating the spread of invasive species.

John
Pumkinseeds yes not the other two as I’ve never heard of anyone ever catching them. The reality is that cats and zander are no more un-native (not a word lol) than carp so does seem odd that they are treated differently. I agree they shouldn’t be here due to the damage they can do but the reality is that they aren’t going anywhere now. Just need to try keep them landlocked and not in the rivers and canals. Never caught either myself and hope I never do on the cat front.

JayD

Pumkinseeds yes not the other two as I’ve never heard of anyone ever catching them. The reality is that cats and zander are no more un-native (not a word lol) than carp so does seem odd that they are treated differently. I agree they shouldn’t be here due to the damage they can do but the reality is that they aren’t going anywhere now. Just need to try keep them landlocked and not in the rivers and canals. Never caught either myself and hope I never do on the cat front.
That's the problem, they aren't kept in 'landlocked' waters, they are being spread over just about every water in the country, just the same as carp have been.
The 'commercial' boom saw waters springing up anywhere that it was thought it would be financially profitable. Many of these waters consisted of holes dug, and filled with fish, often of dubious origin, and with or without EA approval, (sadly they also added water to them, instead of more earth). Being classed as an Invasive species, doesn't just mean new to the country, or to an area, it also means new to a water or river/canal system. Many of the waters dug during that time were on floodplains and during times of heavy rain, they over flowed into surrounding waters, thus spreading the fish. In the case of cats and carp, some were introduced by dick head, selfish anglers, that 'wanted to be able to fish for them without travelling far'. Both were done with no regard for the impact on the ecosystems, or welfare of the species already present, and I don't just mean fish. The effects of predation, cross breeding, out breeding, competition for food/spawning grounds, plus the possible spread of disease, on the indigenous population, were all ignored in an attempt to provide what those anglers wanted, or a financial gain for those who built the 'fisheries'. Sadly, as 'Squimp' said in his post, the EA although having the powers, have been either, reluctant to 'de-stock' waters, or have been so over run by the numbers of these types of waters, that it has been almost impossible to manage, especially in the case of rivers.
I find it sad, and more than a little hypocritical, that some anglers scream out for controls/culls on some aquatic species, but support the introduction of any fish, seemingly because they want to catch them, or they put a decent bend in the rod.

John.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That's the problem, they aren't kept in 'landlocked' waters, they are being spread over just about every water in the country, just the same as carp have been.
The 'commercial' boom saw waters springing up anywhere that it was thought it would be financially profitable. Many of these waters consisted of holes dug, and filled with fish, often of dubious origin, and with or without EA approval, (sadly they also added water to them, instead of more earth). Being classed as an Invasive species, doesn't just mean new to the country, or to an area, it also means new to a water or river/canal system. Many of the waters dug during that time were on floodplains and during times of heavy rain, they over flowed into surrounding waters, thus spreading the fish. In the case of cats and carp, some were introduced by dick head, selfish anglers, that 'wanted to be able to fish for them without travelling far'. Both were done with no regard for the impact on the ecosystems, or welfare of the species already present, and I don't just mean fish. The effects of predation, cross breeding, out breeding, competition for food/spawning grounds, plus the possible spread of disease, on the indigenous population, were all ignored in an attempt to provide what those anglers wanted, or a financial gain for those who built the 'fisheries'. Sadly, as 'Squimp' said in his post, the EA although having the powers, have been either, reluctant to 'de-stock' waters, or have been so over run by the numbers of these types of waters, that it has been almost impossible to manage, especially in the case of rivers.
I find it sad, and more than a little hypocritical, that some anglers scream out for controls/culls on some aquatic species, but support the introduction of any fish, seemingly because they want to catch them, or they put a decent bend in the rod.

John.
I’d have every catfish de-stocked if I had my way given how destructive they can be (and because personally I think they are ugly horrible slimy things) but unfortunately we are stuck with them now in at least the lakes in which they’ve been stocked so those that like them might as well enjoy them. Every effort should be made to get them out of rivers though as they could do uncontrollable damage there to some already threatened habitats.

JayD

I’d have every catfish de-stocked if I had my way given how destructive they can be (and because personally I think they are ugly horrible slimy things) but unfortunately we are stuck with them now in at least the lakes in which they’ve been stocked so those that like them might as well enjoy them. Every effort should be made to get them out of rivers though as they could do uncontrollable damage there to some already threatened habitats.
Luckily I've got pretty thick skin, because I feel the same about the spread of carp, especially into river systems. The top mouth gudgeon, motherless minnow, pumpkinseed etc, either spread disease, or out-compete indigenous species, just as signal crays do, but there seems to be a strange unwritten law that exists within angling that it's ok to kill/cull anything that is considered a threat to fish/fishing, but not a fish that poses the same threat.

John.

rudd

Site Supporter
I have heard of and know of a few venues near me with illegal cats.
If a venue has no licence, rules are rules.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Luckily I've got pretty thick skin, because I feel the same about the spread of carp, especially into river systems. The top mouth gudgeon, motherless minnow, pumpkinseed etc, either spread disease, or out-compete indigenous species, just as signal crays do, but there seems to be a strange unwritten law that exists within angling that it's ok to kill/cull anything that is considered a threat to fish/fishing, but not a fish that poses the same threat.

John.
If carp got established in rivers I’d feel the same but given they’ve been going in them for years and rarely become anything more than an occasional capture I’m not too worried about them. They don’t seem to be very successful breeders so fingers crossed the rivers will never be plagued with them. In their current guise of a rare beast I would actually quite like to catch a river carp.

On the subject of crayfish I don’t know about anyone else but they seem to have thankfully declined around here over the last 4 or 5 years. Used to catch them quite regularly but I don’t remember catching more than one or two in a season for a good few years now. Also thankfully we don’t seem to have too much of a cormorant problem compared to other areas either. Possibly due to being about almost as far from the sea as possible?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Motherless minnows are like bleak, get a shoal of those in your swim you know about it, cant even feed them off.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
A club I am in has catfish in a few waters, I think the club record is 80lb.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Motherless minnows are like bleak, get a shoal of those in your swim you know about it, cant even feed them off.
That’s interesting. Are they more common up north or something? Never heard of any river I know with them or anyone catching them. Had to just google them to even know what they looked like!