11m Plus pole Bargin

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
hey all my 16th ( oh my god im gettin Older)
Birthday is comin up soon

and i want a pole (im driving my mum crazy)
around 11m+ around the 200 mark.
i av erd very good things about the grim reaper?

Can any of you give me advice?????

Regards Gf

Polepot

Poles
In my limited experience you need to buy a pole that is as long as you can afford. I started with a DAM pole of 13 meters and on occassions struggled to reach the Island / Bank I was trying to fish as a feature.

But remember, the pole is not the only cost!!!
If you find a pole that is a bit on the heavy side, that you like I recommend the Cleaver Claw which is 14.99. I have found this an invaluble piece of Kit and would go no where without it.

Have a good hunt round - and try a few sit on a box and hold them at full length - and then reduce untill you find them comfortable. You will find that some at 13m are heavy but are fine with one section removed.

On commercial fisheries, despite what I have said, you will frequently use your pole at 9m

I can niether recommend or criticise the GM but:-

DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Edited by - polepot on 09 June 2002 07:20:39 AM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Garry,
quote: Have a good hunt round - and try a few sit on a box and hold them at full length - and then reduce untill you find them comfortable. You will find that some at 13m are heavy but are fine with one section removed.

Sensible words these,Have a real good look around before you leap in,and make sure that spares are going to be readily available for the pole that you choose.Maver have had some really good reveiws on the Grim Reaper.
Another pole worth looking at is the Middy Carp Buster.An 11mtr pole that is rated to take 20 elastic,at the moment they are doing a deal which includes an extension to 12mtrs + 2 long top 2 kits + elastication kits and a pole holdall for a price of 149.99p which will allow you enough to get a decent pole roller and a few rigs without breaking the bank.
Don't fall into the trap of trying to fish with a pole at it's full length straight away,start of with it at 8-9mtrs and get used to handling it.Once your comfortable using it,then add another section and start all over again.The difference in balance (especialy with cheaper poles) as you add a section can be quite a shock at first.
Let us know how you get on,any more questions you know where to ask. thumbsup.gif

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Thanks Chaps,
My bday isnt for a while how long do tou think that deal will be on for Peter????

Regards Gf

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Garry,
Don't worry about offers ending,have a haggle with your dealer when the time comes,and don't hesitate to play one dealer off against another.Failing that get a copy of Advanced Pole Fishing and ring round a few dealers once you've decided what pole you want to see who is prepared to do you the best deal.

Peter.

breambasher

quote:
hey all my 16th ( oh my god im gettin Older)
Birthday is comin up soon

and i want a pole (im driving my mum crazy)
around 11m+ around the 200 mark.
i av erd very good things about the grim reaper?

Can any of you give me advice?????

Regards Gf
hi there the good thing at the moment is all the manufacturers have got a bit of a price war going on at the moment.the reaper is a decent pole but a bit heavey if you can find one the strong arm is a good pole at 11mtrs but looses it at 121/2 but i know maver are bringing out a new version of the strong arm called the h15 strong arm and it is supposed to be terrif im not sure what the price is going to be but the h15 is currently selling for around 149 @ 10mtrs and is awesome it will stop just about anything.just a word of warning about pole hooks i have seen numerous poles being dragged in by savage takes from carp (all you guys whove been to drayton will know what i mean)so be careful personally i dont use any sot of rod rest only when feeder fishing on the trent.

im mad for it

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gf,

Take a trip down to Bob-Co and have a look at their new pole alley.
They have over 50 poles made up in with seat boxes set so that you can literally try each one out in turn. By time you've finished you'll be 16 icon_smile_big.gif pole1.jpg pole2.jpg pole3.jpg

When you get there tell Dave that I sent you and let him know what you want and price wise, he'll help you out.

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
NOW THAT is what you call a pole alley!!
It certainly beats anythng i've seen in my neck of the woods!!!

Peter.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Peter,

It is reckoned to be the largest one in Yorkshire tho' that is based on the fact that we don't know of a bigger one.
Late last year I had quite a conversation with Dave and his missus about selling poles and suggested that they set up something so that people could sit and try out the poles in a practical setting, even joked about a blue carpet, lol - take a look at the colour of the carpet icon_smile_big.gif. Even so I was staggered when I saw it as it's certainly impressive.

Dave

Dave Moore

Paste King
You could do worse than look at one of the new Middy poles, it was given an AT review about 2-3 weeks ago, I think it is the Middy XS animal tamer, 12.5m 3 x power tops and on a special at the mo for 149.

Hope this helps

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.