10ft feeder rods

Sebbie

Site Supporter
So I'm retiring soon and am returning to fishing after 20 years.

I have joined a club that has a few lakes, and the one that interests me most is a mixed fishery with roach and rudd to 2lb, crucians to 3lb, tench and bream to 9lbs and carp to mid-doubles.

The lakes aren't huge and the longest cast is likely to be 25-30 yards on the feeder. My current gear is either too light (primarily bomb/light feeder rods) if I encounter some of the carp, or stiff 12/13 footers geared to hurling big feeders 80 yards + on big reservoirs/Irish Loughs which are likely to be unforgiving for a small venue.

I fancy treating myself to a 10-footer more suited to short chucks for silvers but with a parabolic action sufficient to cope with the 'lumps' should they decide to play.

I have a short-list of a few and would appreciate feedback from anybody that has experience of these.

Preston Innovations Supera
MAP Parabolix Black
Drennan Acolyte Plus
TriCast Trilogy
Free Spirit Hi-S
Daiwa Airity

Kind of listed in price order, and would appreciate any views about whether the price increment is worthwhile between these, and any suggestions of other rods that I should consider.

Many thanks

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I have the Acolyte Plus at 10ft & love it as I don’t fish rivers. For the lightness & power it’s the best I’ve used for still waters where you’re casting less than 50yds. I’ve had carp to 16lb on it where I’ve had plenty of room. It isn’t a hit & hold rod though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've used the acolyte ultra which is a very nice rod and whilst I've only waggled the acolyte plus it also feels good, only slight issue is the tips aren't very sensitive so unless you plan on targeting the bigger carp you might be better with the ultra than the plus as it has lighter tips.

The preston superas also feel very nice save for the handles and they get lots of good reviews. Haven't even touched the rest I'm afraid.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Tri-cast every day top quality feeder rods , very under rated well worth putting in the effort to find one, I have the short method rod and it is excellent

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I would chose one of the first two, not the sl supera, if you’ve already got a light feeder rod, or the suv black edition

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
Have a look at the Drennan vertex 10ft feeder. I bought one in the middle of piking season, just because I saw it and liked the way it waggled, and I’ve used it twice before this tishstorm started. Handles very well and coped fine with the silvers I was after and also a 17lb common that got in the way!

tedstriker

Site Supporter
have a shimano forcemaster 10ft feeder, comes with 2oz and 3oz tips, nice and soft for the smaller fish but also has enough power for the carp, for 30 quid cant fault the thing

david white

Site Supporter
Don't overlook the Cadence 10ft #2 feeder rod, especially if they are having another one of their sales

There’s one on fleabay at present £60 inc postage although it may be missing a tip reading the description but it appears it’s in a ready rod bag
IMHO you won’t get a better bargain

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh for £200 if cadence put an Easter sale on you may be able to get a light rod and a heavy rod from them.

Paul.P

For chucking 25-30yds as you've said, I would go for the Tricast Excellence 9' rod, perfect for the job, will cast that easily, soft enough for the silvers, yet has the built in power to handle double figure carp, you could go for the 10' version, but the 9' rod will do all you want with ease.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Thanks all, that's really helpful. I now just need to find a tackle shop that's open so that I can go and have a waggle!