100lb of Bream

squimp

Site Supporter
Never in a match but managed it regularly when I used to fish Castle Loch, Lochmaben. Even 300lb was not unusual in the late 70's early 80's. Nor was it unusual to blank on the same peg, using the same methods, the week after having a massive haul. It was up and down, depending where they rocked up at night.
A wonderful place.

I pike fished it a great deal and can remember 2 red letter days when a mate and I had well over 100 lb of pike with fish to 26lb.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Do they have matches at Banbury Res? I've seen the size of the fish and very impressed with that, would have thought being a shoal fish that if they're that size a ton would be possible? Just have to hit a shoal of them.
They do hold club matches there. Last year one of our guys had 112lb. I blanked 🤣🤣

alsur

Site Supporter
I've never had 100lb of bream haven't fish many matches where it was a realistic target and if it was you would need to be lucky to draw a swim capable of doing it. I seem to remember the lower Thames championship was won with a bream bag in excess 100lb and the lower Thames is still full of bream, so with right conditions I think a 100lb bag would be possible. The big bend at bottom end of Wallingford held a big bream shoal not sure what is the best weight it's produced, I didn't catch anywhere near it when I drew it but I did manage to win match.

My Club has a lake where it's a realistic target and I'm sure if people put in the effort they would have a good chance of catching 100lb

crackatoa

Account Locked
A wonderful place.

I pike fished it a great deal and can remember 2 red letter days when a mate and I had well over 100 lb of pike with fish to 26lb.
Unfortunately it's just a Carp water nowadays. Reputed to hold the Scottish record with a fish over 45lb. I'm sure there will still be some Pike to be had though.

squimp

Site Supporter
Unfortunately it's just a Carp water nowadays. Reputed to hold the Scottish record with a fish over 45lb. I'm sure there will still be some Pike to be had though.
What a shame ! It could be a beautiful place - one misty winters morning I took a lovely shot of the sun breaking thru at about 10am. Had it on my wall for years....

When I was up there (early 80’s) Lanark loch held the carp record at around 25lb. Ihad a few 20’s from there and a 5.09 tench which was over the Scottish record at the time ! There was little point in claiming it.

Reuben

Site Supporter
My best was 183lb on the River Blavet a couple of miles from Baud in Brittany. Groundbait feeder with corn on the hook. Lovely river. We stayed in a cottage all week & I did’t see another angler. Some clonking roach too.

Ade1

Site Supporter
In the 2003 Div 3 National on the Trent I drew a peg at Crankley Point, my target was just a few pound but 3 Bream in the first 30 minutes set the tone so I spent 5 hours on the feeder. I think the total was 23 Bream for a weight just over 50 kilos, the chap on the next peg had just a bit less than me. The shoal must have been pretty big. I can't imagine ever achieving it again.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I have been lucky enough to fish many good bream sessions. In April 2019 I had had 125 for 280lb to 350lb on a venue where I've had quite a few 100 off bream in a session. Last December I was fortunate to have 51 bream for approx 130lb on a local reservoir. Also a number of ton plus bags at BK Fisheries in Cornwall, mainly on the slider = bliss

But my fondest memory for bream fishing would be where my pal and I would have 10 to 30 bream of 5 to 8lb from a weir pool on the River Blackwater in the 1970's