1000s worth of tackle stolen in Nottinghamshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SH4D0W

I would not trade my gear for the monetary value, unless it was a matter of absolute must with no other choice.

However, i am not quite sure what you are getting at.

matchstickman25

just a rhetorical question. i sometimes think about how much money ive spent on my gear and think would i do it again?
if a fairy come along and said i'll give you the money for what you paid for it( not second hand prices) i probs wouldnt do it. the bug would bite me again at some point and id miss it.

SH4D0W

Thing is then, you have all that money back that you have spent over the years on fishing gear, what would you do with it then?

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
most of us have at least a grands worth of equipment and as has been mentioned some stuff is priceless and irreplaceable due to memories attached.insurance is great but prevention is better.you can buy a shed alarm for approx 20 and a wireless i.p security camera for approx 65.the camera has motion detection,infrared night vision to 20 metres,it can record motion pictures and stills to your pc hard drive and trigger an alarm when activated it can send to your email or phone the warning that its been activated and also send the still picture plus you can get internet access to view your security camera in realtime from anywhere in the world via your phone or pc (as long as you have internet access).(just a brief description of the actions)these cameras are not difficult set up either.so in order to protect yourself with this heres what you will need.

a pc

wireless router..25 approx

wireless i.p security camera..65 approx

shed alarm..20 approx

power lead extention..6 approx for 3 metre length

outdoor weatherproof box 5 approx

so for about 130 you can have an extra little peace of mind.rather cheap for what its protecting i think personally.

Last edited:

matchstickman25

Originally posted by SH4D0W

Thing is then, you have all that money back that you have spent over the years on fishing gear, what would you do with it then?

thats my point mate![:p] id get the call of the water all over again, it be a waste of time and id be out of pocket by the time all the petrol and mcdonalds burns a hole in my pocket

SH4D0W

Hi guys,
Does anyone know if the scumbags were caught? i have recently had some of my gear stolen and just curious to know other peoples stories.

thanks

sporty

Site Supporter
it really is crazy to leave gear in an unprotected shed or garage ,i bet you wouldnt leave 2000 layin on the floor in the shed so whats the difference ?[:T]

SH4D0W

It might be crazy yes, but in some circumstances it might be the only option? or in others one would like to think his tackle would be safe on ones property, i know i did, i did what i thought was enough, i reinforced the full brick outbuilding installed a solid redwood door with two approved security devices, two flood lights and super high fences... only it didnt work :(, i think the problem is that it was obvious i am trying to hide somthing? and they got in as the bricks burst.

biggsy

Site Supporter
That's about all you can do mate bar taking it all to bed with you, if the scroats know it's there and they want to get in they will do

sporty

Site Supporter
i think all you can do is make it as difficult as possible for a thief to get in and try and put yourself in a thieves position and work out how you would get in ,try and slow them down if you know what i mean .as for tackle insurance i was with a company a couple of years ago that turned out to be just as bad as the thieves i was insuring against ,they kept adding bits to the policy and charging me for upgrades i didnt want in the end i got me money back and dont bother now.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - if it's in a shed or garage away from the house get a decent chain and chain the box and holdalls to something secure.
If the scrotes get in they've still got to get the gear out. Don't make it easy for them - lock it up

Harry_Monk

Originally posted by Dave

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - if it's in a shed or garage away from the house get a decent chain and chain the box and holdalls to something secure.
If the scrotes get in they've still got to get the gear out. Don't make it easy for them - lock it up

Thats a good point, I have never thought of doing that.

A few years ago my garage was broken into and they ransacked everything, tipped everything into the middle and then eventually stole a 50 tool set from costco- they 'luckily' didnt know the value of the fishing tackle they could have half hinched.

Now the place is like fort knox [:D] and I have a nice friendly dog who loves to welcome strangers with a big lick to the face.

One part of the above is not true.[:p]

Colin to the E

There have been a lot of break-ins where my mum lives. A couple of months ago her neighbour heard a noise and went out to check, there was a lad in her her garden who had done a runner by the time he'd gone in for a baseball bat and came out again. Another neighbour and the police arrived, no sign of anyone.
She was out and it was all over by the time she came home but she was still scared - she's alone, 74, and fifty miles away from me.
Now she has new fences, and security lights. I offered to string some braid at around 5 ft high a few feet from the roadside fence - anyone jumping over would hopefully have some identifying marks from that - if his head was still on, but she wasn't too keen on the idea :)
For myself, I'm happy to do it - an injured scrote would be easier to trace and if he was losing blood he might be less inclined to continue with his original intentions.
Another idea is to have a plank of wood with a six inch nail at either end. Along the rest of it, a few 4 inch nails going the other way. Push into the ground with the 4 inch nails facing up, the 6 inch nails facing down will hold it in place. Not recommended if you have pets or children of course, or an unlocked gate.
Perhaps a few carbon shards taped to a few of the nails is a good idea too.

A bit more of a deterrent than a 20 quid fine and a few days community service.

The rest of the time I'm a really nice guy :) Honest!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Doing the above will land you in jail if someone got injured even if their intentions were not the best

Colin to the E

I'd still have my stuff though :)
And actually I don't do any of those things, break in's are pretty rare found our way luckily.
If there was a sudden spate of burglaries I'd be extremely tempted..

kcon123

Originally posted by sporty

it really is crazy to leave gear in an unprotected shed or garage ,i bet you wouldnt leave 2000 layin on the floor in the shed so whats the difference ?[:T]

It's a bit easier to transport 2000 than a load of fishing gear[:D]

I'm worried about my tackle getting stolen or eaten by mice so my bedroom is like a tackle shop.

allthegearnoidea

I know how he feels I had over 5000 worth nicked a few years ago.Yes you can replace most items if you are covered with insurance but what is never covered is the sentimental items like a book of free fishing venues my grandson bought me for my birthday signed by himself in an almost unreadable scrawl that book was worth the world to me and yes I can still buy the book but the sentiment can never be replaced I wish I could catch the scum

Matt28781

This is why i keep all my tackle in my house, Along with my 7 stone akita, Break in if you like, You will be leaving in a body bag[}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.