100 Books to read before you die lists

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Geoff, Just couldn't get into any of the Lord of the Rings books. I read a lot of military and historic books, both fact and fiction and like crime and adventure.

I don't do crime stuff, so little help there. However, I do like historical fiction, fantasy, and historical fantasy. Here are few authors to look out for. If you read all of their combined output, they'll keep you going for a fair while. Tolkein bores me to tears too, especially in book form. Sadly, the films managed to convey at least parts of the long boring trudges in the books quite well.

Richard Blake
Christian Cameron
Miles Cameron (the fantasy nom de plume of Christian Cameron)
Paul Fraser Collard
Bernard Cornwell
Gordon Doherty
Angus Donald
Maurice Druon
David Eddings
Robert Fabbri
Raymond E Feist
George MacDonald Fraser
Neil Gaiman
David Gemmell
Stella Gemmell
Adrian Goldsworthy
Jack Hight
Conn Iggulden (and his fantasy incarnation CF Iggulden)
Douglas Jackson
Ben Kane
Raymond Khoury
Giles Kristian
Chris Kuzneski
Robert Low
Jack Ludlow
Valerio Massimo Manfredi
George RR Martin
Terry Pratchett
Anthony Riches
Tony Riches
Simon Scarrow
Tim Severin
Harry Sidebottom
Julian Stockwin
SJA Turney
Jack Whyte
James Wilde
Robyn Young.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'm an avid reader.... I love SciFi, Fantasy, Whodunnits, Actioners, & Biogs... I've read nearly everything Discworld, loads of Star Trek... (thousands of them in print) I probably read a couple of books a week, I read a lot of fishing literature, this week I'm halfway through "Falling In Again" by Chris Yates but as a counterpoint I have a Lee Child ("One Shot") on the go at the same time...

Last week I finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir (recommended)
I have read most of Tom Sharpe's books and found them rather coarse... Douglas Adams HGTTG series was funny, if a bit cynical, but the "Dirk Gently" novels were frankly poor.. I have recently been wandering through Ian Fleming's "James Bond" novels and despite the dated feel, they are rather good... I too have a rather jaded view of some of the classics... I can't be bothered with Dickens or Shakespeare... too long winded, as was Walton's "The Complete Angler"
I also tried Tolkien but found it Hobbit Forming... (see what I did there?:p:D)
One of the greatest boons to reading has got to be the ereader or tablet, I have 5,500 books in kindle format, so I'm never short of something to read... and it makes reading easier for kids with graphic novels aiding reading... my poor Kindle is on it's last legs after about 6 years of being hammered day and night so a new one is on the Christmas list... and as a reader with (very) poor eyesight, the ability to change the font size is a godsend... that does not stop me from acquiring real paper books though... SWMBO will always buy me a book as she knows it'll get read and reread and never thrown away...

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Tom Sharpe books coarse? New one on me, his characters are usually pompous {!} know it all buffoons just waiting to be hoisted by their
own petards. Irony my boy irony.
Speaking of a which, a short while ago I reread the autobiography of HMS Petard, this warship survived until `67 dog knows how.

davepellet

from that list I've read Lord of the rings (which I found really hard going through the 2nd & 3rd books), catch 22, the hobbit, animal farm, lord of the flies, Dracula & secret garden

I like John Le Carre espionage / cold war stuff... the spy who came in from the cold, Tinker Tailor, honourable schoolboy, smileys people, and now I've just started secret pilgrim

might have a go at heart of darkness next, for a change of style, or perhaps something like the man in the iron mask...

bigdavewsf

current favourites are luca veste, stuart mcbride,ken follett, conn iggulden, robert crais and michael connelly, i wish i had the time to sit and read a book nowadays, the only time i find is when im on holiday, cant beat sitting next to apool, cold beer and a good book, instead i listen to them on audio books,when im, out with the dog or fishing, getting off to sleep

Chervil

Site Supporter
Not certain if any of these which I have read several times makes it on the list. Ernest Hemingway’s the old man and the sea . ALso his ,the sun also rises. Probably my alltime favorite is jack kerouacs on the road
I read the Old man and the sea on the flight out to Gibraltar yesterday. Really enjoyed it, very detailed, descriptive writing. Thanks for the recommendation.

c oo ki e

o_O
just chiming in on chervil's excellent book thread.
has anyone some literary horror they could recommend?
regards
(y)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Just started reading the Haynes manual for the U.S.S. Enterprise!!! :D

I recall a trekkie mate having a blueprint for one of the USS Enterprise. I seem to recall a fair bit of mirth being involved in the revelation. Not quite as much mirth as no one being to find any trace of even a single toilet.

Scalper

NCP....
Account Locked
I recall a trekkie mate having a blueprint for one of the USS Enterprise. I seem to recall a fair bit of mirth being involved in the revelation. Not quite as much mirth as no one being to find any trace of even a single toilet.

According to Riker there is a pan just down from the back of the bridge at the same level and forward of the impulse engines on the enterprise D!!!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
According to Riker there is a pan just down from the back of the bridge at the same level and forward of the impulse engines on the enterprise D!!!

Just the one, for a ship the size of a small town?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
They're not called toilets.... the septics call them Head's

Chervil

Site Supporter
I'm an avid reader.... I love SciFi, Fantasy, Whodunnits, Actioners, & Biogs... I've read nearly everything Discworld, loads of Star Trek... (thousands of them in print) I probably read a couple of books a week, I read a lot of fishing literature, this week I'm halfway through "Falling In Again" by Chris Yates but as a counterpoint I have a Lee Child ("One Shot") on the go at the same time...

Last week I finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir (recommended)
I have read most of Tom Sharpe's books and found them rather coarse... Douglas Adams HGTTG series was funny, if a bit cynical, but the "Dirk Gently" novels were frankly poor.. I have recently been wandering through Ian Fleming's "James Bond" novels and despite the dated feel, they are rather good... I too have a rather jaded view of some of the classics... I can't be bothered with Dickens or Shakespeare... too long winded, as was Walton's "The Complete Angler"
I also tried Tolkien but found it Hobbit Forming... (see what I did there?:p:D)
One of the greatest boons to reading has got to be the ereader or tablet, I have 5,500 books in kindle format, so I'm never short of something to read... and it makes reading easier for kids with graphic novels aiding reading... my poor Kindle is on it's last legs after about 6 years of being hammered day and night so a new one is on the Christmas list... and as a reader with (very) poor eyesight, the ability to change the font size is a godsend... that does not stop me from acquiring real paper books though... SWMBO will always buy me a book as she knows it'll get read and reread and never thrown away...
Read the Martian a few times, as with most books, it's better than the film. Although I did also enjoy the movie. Watched First Man tonight, based on Neil Armstrong's life story. I thought it was excellent, so the book by James Hansen is on my "to read" list.