100 Books to read before you die lists

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Have done mate, and yer right no love lost between Ryan and McNabb. another good book recommended by Maggotdrowners was Lenny McCleans The Governor (y)

Scalper

NCP....
Account Locked
Just taken a dozen plus hardbacks (Stephen King and Photography) down to the local library for use rather than bin them - Scalper doesn't like wastage!!!

The tome I read a lot is one by Raymond Fiest series - The Magician...

Another big fave is 'The Bachman books' - 4 short stories by King under a pseudonym...Richard Bachman!

A very engrossing and entertaining piece of literature!!!

Check it out - I'm sure you'll like it!!

Oh, and another - a book called 'JOB' - I can't remember the author now but the main character has had more rubbish and bad luck in his lifetime that is humanly possible!!!

Last edited:

Chervil

Site Supporter
Just taken a dozen plus hardbacks (Stephen King and Photography) down to the local library for use rather than bin them - Scalper doesn't like wastage!!!

The tome I read a lot is one by Raymond Fiest series - The Magician...

Another big fave is 'The Bachman books' - 4 short stories by King under a pseudonym...Richard Bachman!

A very engrossing and entertaining piece of literature!!!

Check it out - I'm sure you'll like it!!

Oh, and another - a book called 'JOB' - I can't remember the author now but the main character has had more rubbish and bad luck in his lifetime that is humanly possible!!!
I haven't read any King books for decades, will give them a look. Thanks

D

Deleted member 21081

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby was the only book I have read that put feelings I’d had into words and made me understand myself more than I had.

1984 by George Orwell did the same about the way the World works.

I love comedy, ‘Happyslapped by a jellyfish’ by Karl Pilkington made me laugh out loud so much I had to stop reading it on a train to Crewe, in case people thought I was insane.

And I’ve read every book by Tom Sharpe, brilliantly funny, if forced to pick a favourite: Porterhouse Blue.

Chervil

Site Supporter
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby was the only book I have read that put feelings I’d had into words and made me understand myself more than I had.

1984 by George Orwell did the same about the way the World works.

I love comedy, ‘Happyslapped by a jellyfish’ by Karl Pilkington made me laugh out loud so much I had to stop reading it on a train to Crewe, in case people thought I was insane.

And I’ve read every book by Tom Sharpe, brilliantly funny, if forced to pick a favourite: Porterhouse Blue.
Read 1984, which seems to be on all the 100 lists and a lot of Sharpe. Must admit, I"m getting more replies and ideas than I thought I would. Cheers

Chervil

Site Supporter
What was your favourite by Sharpe?
Off the top of my head Porterhouse Blue, not sure if I saw the program and then read it or the other way round.
One book which I would recommend to anyone, no matter what your taste, is "This is going to hurt" by Adam Kay. A really light read, by an NHS doctor.

D

Deleted member 21081

Off the top of my head Porterhouse Blue, not sure if I saw the program and then read it or the other way round.
One book which I would recommend to anyone, no matter what your taste, is "This is going to hurt" by Adam Kay. A really light read, by an NHS doctor.
If you mention it alongside Porterhouse Blue then I must read it!

Chervil

Site Supporter
If you mention it alongside Porterhouse Blue then I must read it!
Complelty different. A dairy written by a junior NHS doctor. Very funny, but shows the pressure they are under. It was a Sunday Times Best seller. I found it a brilliant read.

D

Deleted member 21081

Complelty different. A dairy written by a junior NHS doctor. Very funny, but shows the pressure they are under. It was a Sunday Times Best seller. I found it a brilliant read.
I’ll try it, sounds enlightening.
My niece is a pathologist. Two things she told me struck a chord:
When they first cut up a body, out of the class of six 3 threw up and three fainted!
And when they needed a new drill for work on bones, the surgeon sent her to Argos to get one!

Chervil

Site Supporter
I’ll try it, sounds enlightening.
My niece is a pathologist. Two things she told me struck a chord:
When they first cut up a body, out of the class of six 3 threw up and three fainted!
And when they needed a new drill for work on bones, the surgeon sent her to Argos to get one!
We used to take our probationers to autopsys as part of their course. No real need to, it was just traditional. We used to get some brilliant reactions. From real interest, to throwing up, to fainting.

D

Deleted member 21081

A great day’s free education can be had in the public gallery at your local court, far better than the garbage churned out by the media!

D

Deleted member 21081

We used to take our probationers to autopsys as part of their course. No real need to, it was just traditional. We used to get some brilliant reactions. From real interest, to throwing up, to fainting.
Which group, throw up, faint or real interest went on to be senior ranked?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

Adam Kay hasn’t been a Dr for a few years now, he tours as Amatuer Transplants, came to fame a few years back with a song called London Underground, a paradox of The Jam song and well worth a listen if you haven’t heard - but don’t have your speakers on in work or if kids or easily offended ears are listening.

A book I read and couldn’t put down was Shantatram, if any has been to India and wants their memories of it rekindled, along with a story that has some truth and some poetic licence, I have now bought the second book by the author, but have yet to turn a page on it.

tonerain

Site Supporter
I admit that I read mostly pulp fiction.
If it includes a private eye or policeman or government assassin then I'm in.
Try the Mitch Rapp series of books by Vince Flynn if your tastes are similar to mine.