1.5 petrol or 1.5 hybrid

Marker50

Hi.been looking at changing my 2011 skoda superb estate 2ltr diesel.
I only do max 5k a year there is a 1.5 petrol or a 1.5 petrol hybrid in the new superbs .
I dont really want to stay diesel as i intend to keep a long time.
The hybrid as to be charged as not self charging and is more expensive.
Any thoughts ?
Do they take a lot of electric to charge ?
Not sure the extra cost is worth it

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi.been looking at changing my 2011 skoda superb estate 2ltr diesel.
I only do max 5k a year there is a 1.5 petrol or a 1.5 petrol hybrid in the new superbs .
I dont really want to stay diesel as i intend to keep a long time.
The hybrid as to be charged as not self charging and is more expensive.
Any thoughts ?
Do they take a lot of electric to charge ?
Not sure the extra cost is worth it
Maybe different where you are but, around here there are very few independent garages that will repair or MOT an electric vehicle. It’s a dealership job. Maybe worth considering. ?

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
As they get older the main stream garages will have no choice but to repair these type of vehicles or it wont be just the diesel engine that will be obsolete.
I'm waiting for a kia niro hybrid to be delivered ,some of the lads who i work with already got one and they claiming 130 to the gallon

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I stuck with diesel, I only do 5/6000 miles a year, but most journeys are 25 miles at least. Averaged 48mpg overall, but I'm second owner after dealer (demonstrator), so was probably driven on lots of short journeys for a while, can get it to 60mpg on a run.

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
Think I read that the general consensus is that if you do less than 10,000 miles per annum don`t buy a diesel.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
We traded a 65 plate diesel Skoda Rapid in for an ex demo fully loaded 19 plate diesel honda civic, also took the 1.6 petrol automatic for a run, I followed the sales bloke who was in a new hybrid honda jazz. He put his foot down and it took a while to get near him in the auto, even though I went from 30 to 70 in a couple of seconds. I didnt realize hybrids could go like that
If the civic had been bigger interior we may have gone for one of those. Got brilliant deal on the diesel though. 50mpg going up to warrington, speeds vary between 30mph and nearly a ton. So not to bad.sometimetimes still wish had lashed out and gone for a brand new Type R Civic.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Dont the breakdown firms have to send out van/truck with wheel lift similar to whats used for automatics, to tow a hybrid ,?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I can see me keeping mine.
Dont want to make a 28k mistake.
Nowt up wi it and full service history new tyres nd cambelt.
For what you will get for it , and what you say it has, cambelt ,history , I would keep it.
We sold the Skoda 3 weeks after a new cambelt fitted ,I think skoda recommend every 5 years ,same as Shock absorbers , was told a stupid price on shock absorbers that according to skodas recomendations due in few months,
If we had known we going to get rid of it ,we wouldnt have had cambelt changed and service ,had those done with mot. Cost around £800. That didnt put extra on part ex price.

Marker50

Ta mate.
Yea its 82k fsh.
New cam belt .tyres and dsg oil.
Just fancy a new one again.
But putting like that it dunt make sence to swap.

Marker50

Only slight concern is dpf .but touch wood not had a issue.
And do 2 trips a week fishing 20 mile each way

bezzer

Site Supporter

As long as the DPF filter gets up to temperature is should do a regen. As it gets older the DPF can start to clog quicker without doing longer runs. I'd be tempted to do a good half hour journey once a week.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
We toyed with the idea of another Skoda but saw the honda and liked it, As for pdf in Skoda in just took it for a run for around 20minutes until light went out.
Not much room in Skoda or Honda for fishing tackle, keeping my Zafira for that.