“We Fish As One” and Emma Harrison's fight for female friendly fishing!

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I don’t think she’ll add to her fan club , I,d give her a berth now , for fear of upsetting her , with my mouth 😉 Still the do-gooders will jump on in a minute, defending her and telling me what a d**k I’m being 💁‍♂️
No different to most people. I will give anybody the time of day, but if you start being a dickhead and hardwork, then I will ignore you and carry on myself. Cant be done with it. It’s my past time that I enjoy, if it ceases to be enjoyable because of some people’s attitude, then those people are history.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The term 'taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut' comes to mind.

As a sport or pastime angling must be about as inclusive as it gets.
Unlike say football or cricket you don't need a huge amount of natural ability to take part
Anybody with just a few minutes tuition can fish a whip or a short pole and, with a little luck, catch a fish or two.

I've never seen anybody of any race, sex or disability turned away from a fishery and in most cases if somebody is struggling other anglers will be only too happy to help.

In all the club matches I've run we've only ever had two lady anglers taking part - and they were both wives of other members. We have had in the past and still do get occasional wives / girlfriends/ mothers coming along to spectate though - although spectate possibly implies a degree of interest they probably don't actually have - sunbathing, snoozing, reading, doing the crossword or knitting would probably be a more accurate description :p

What's next for the AT - do we reserve 10% of pegs at all fisheries from women, 10% for ethnic minorities, 10% for LGBT individuals, 10% for the disabled and 10% for under 16s? Does rather beggar the question where the hell are the rest of us gonna fish? :p

There was a big discussion on a football forum last season about having a segregated area at grounds for certain groups of fans - in particular for LGBT fans - something that one of the LGBT support organisations had called for - obviously not one that lives in the real world. Football fans generally are rarely praised for their tolerance of minorities of any sort - racist abuse has still not been entirely stamped out - so imagine the sort of chants that would be aimed at the poor sods corralled inside their segregated area. Anybody remember the chants that were directed at poor Graeme Le Saux a few years ago? -and he wasn't even gay:oops:

Individuals of any minority are generally perfectly happy if they're not singled out for special treatment and allowed to take part alongside everybody else - and that's as it should be. Things only become an issue generally when a few particular sensitive individuals feel aggrieved over something that most people wouldn't even give a second thought to.

Simon

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The comments on this forum come from a wide demographic of anglers representing geographically most of this country, so I wonder if the AT bother to read anglers comments on their threads posted on MD. I hope they do, but I doubt it somehow as they rarely follow up with any comments. So come on AT, if you are out there reading this, let's see an occasional follow up on your posted threads. I think most of us here would be interested on reading them, after all, it would be excellent PR.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Since the majority of us aren't members Mike we're probably not considered to be worthy recipients of their words of wisdom and sage advice :p

Simon

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Since the majority of us aren't members Mike we're probably not considered to be worthy recipients of their words of wisdom and sage advice :p

Simon
I wonder what the percentage of members/non-members is on here, I’m a member, but mainly so I could fish their competitions.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm a member, have been since 2006 (historically a member of one of the other associations prior to the AT's inception in 2009).
That said, I didn't renew for a few years over an issue I had with them but chose to renew following their involvement in the first lockdown.
However, if they decide to make a big issue of this in order to tick boxes then I would reconsider my membership once more.

I think they've done a sterling job this past twelve months with Jamie Cooke as CEO, but they're in danger of undoing all that goodwill if they hang out their membership over something as potentially volatile as this without thoroughly investigating it first but instead acting on a whim.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Marina has just made this statement 5 minutes ago.
To all the wonderful women who I’ve met through fishing and beyond. 2764.png
~
Thank you to the
Angling Trust
for including me in your #lWD2021 article...
“Fishing means everything to me, personally! Fishing is both my work and play. The outdoorsy lifestyle and environmental foundation of the sport have bettered me as a person, kept me out of trouble (I’m sure) and angling has challenged me on so many different levels.
Fishing offers direction and development of skills, it allows individuals to set personal goals without a deadline and it congratulates the rod holder with short and long term rewards. It’s something that can help anyone and that’s why it’s such a remarkably special activity for everyone who is willing to give it a go.
What could the positives be if angling gets more girls and women out on the bank this year? Well, there will be endless positives if angling gets anyone old or new out on the bank this year, regardless of sex, age, looks, background and ability. Anyone can fish and I do believe that the more diverse our community can be, the better. As a professional in the sport I’m aware of the barriers we have faced in the past and want to strive for a more inclusive outdoor space.”

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Read the link ;)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Thanks for that Dave, though I've been back and can't see that link in the original post. Perhaps I should go to Specsavers?

Fishingfan22

It seems maybe the AT have read the comments here, or maybe it’s just a coincidence that they’ve decided to release this article now in hope it takes the attention away from the mess and negative reactions created by Emma Harrison and her overly dramatic and offensive article.

That‘a a much better way to encourage female anglers into the sport, an upbeat and positive read for all!

Again I’m not saying Emma hasn’t experienced some of the comments she says (which is unacceptable), but she’s quite happy to engage online in what looks like a bit more than “banter”.

I think she should take some learnings of Emma Pickering’s spirit and some of the other ladies in the latest article - it’s would do much more for her than the accusations, negativity and potential of causing herself isolation due to anglers wanting to keep a wide berth of her in fear of saying something wrong.

Let’s all just get along and fish together no matter what background we come from!

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
It seems maybe the AT have read the comments here, or maybe it’s just a coincidence that they’ve decided to release this article now in hope it takes the attention away from the mess and negative reactions created by Emma Harrison and her overly dramatic and offensive article.

That‘a a much better way to encourage female anglers into the sport, an upbeat and positive read for all!

Again I’m not saying Emma hasn’t experienced some of the comments she says (which is unacceptable), but she’s quite happy to engage online in what looks like a bit more than “banter”.

I think she should take some learnings of Emma Pickering’s spirit and some of the other ladies in the latest article - it’s would do much more for her than the accusations, negativity and potential of causing herself isolation due to anglers wanting to keep a wide berth of her in fear of saying something wrong.

Let’s all just get along and fish together no matter what background we come from!
Emma Pickering has her own problems with a certain tipitinmick. A couple of restraining orders were mentioned.🤣😉

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Angling Trust hunting for a headline? Looking for a controversy which really doesn't exist. Probably won't be long before they try to raise the question of ethnic diversity in angling. :(
They should direct their efforts to combat the shameful habit of interloping southerners depriving their northern counterparts of their nuggets.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
@Mrs Munch was made more than welcome on the MD match and I have not heard anyone being derogatory whilst out fishing with her. Thanks guys for making both of us feel very welcome. Mid you if you did say something out of line she would put you straight in the drink lol.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Mrs Munch was made more than welcome on the MD match
Just as it should be and I imagine just as it is 999 times out of 1000 whenever a lady angler is introduced to any group of anglers.
However it's worth remembering that when the time comes that Mrs Munch weighs in more than you (and sure as eggs are eggs that time will come) you can rest assured that the stick and banter that will head your way will be unrelenting. 😂 🤣

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Peter, for me, that would be music to my ears mate. When the student beats the teacher then the job is done. I will happily take all the stick you lot can hand out but be happy with the knowledge that she beat me fair and square. The worrying part is that I think that time is coming soon, very soon! I recon this season she will have me beat. Just need to fine tune accuracy and I'm done for lol.