“We Fish As One” and Emma Harrison's fight for female friendly fishing!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm afraid that there is a faction within the Angling Trust that tend to do more harm than good.
A lot of good work has been done by the Angling Trust during the Covid Pandemic, however they seem to have a talent in trying to alienate both members and potential members when it comes to bringing up issues where none exist in order to appear relevant.

For example a Ladies only qualifier for Fishomania to guarantee a Lady Finalist, when Qualifiers had always been open to all regardless of gender.

IMO this will always hinder the Trust in their bid to increase membership.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fished a match at Lindholme once (July 2017) and the next peg from me was Katie Crooks.
I wasn't taking the match seriously but instead spent time watching her fishing the Jigga with casters, a method she did well and one I wasn't familiar with.
I spent time sat with her dad watching and chatting, and suffice to say she beat me fair and square. The banter carried on for a few years after wards :D

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Sadly I think its a case of a few mindless twonks dishing out abuse because they can't cope with the idea of a lass being better they are... they are just sad ignorant individuals

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
And our Mermaids win at Alders a couple of years back....:love:(y)
Linda did well, even if she was on an absolute "Flyer" battered us all including Trevor @911 the fishery manager. 😂
In my own defence I did mange to beat her and win the match that she organised for us at Alders in 2012. ;)

Total

Site Supporter
Linda did well, even if she was on an absolute "Flyer" battered us all including Trevor @911 the fishery manager. 😂
In my own defence I did mange to beat her and win the match that she organised For us at Alders in 2012. ;)
You've still gotta get land 'em....;)(y)......Has Trev' ever recovered?:whistle::giggle:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I reckon I could probably count on one hand the amount of women I’ve seen fishing in this country. Have no doubt there’d be a bit of stereotyping like there unfortunately is with all women’s sport but I’d like to think that they’d mostly be accepted.

A great thing about angling is how accessible it is. Man, women, old, young, fit, unfit there’s forms of it suited to everyone 👍🏻

SeanB

Site Supporter
I've always seen angling as one of the most inclusive activities, I guess there will always be a handful of those who still cling to old fashioned ideas but from my experience they are in the minority.

bagpuss

Site Supporter
Just because you haven’t seen it happen doesn’t mean that it doesn’t go on. Emma has obviously had experiences that have left her feeling uncomfortable and feels strongly enough to contact the AT about it. Even if it’s only happens in a minority of the time fair play to Emma and the AT in highlighting it. Going into tackle shops were the cliques stand at the counter and attending matches can be a intimidating experience for a lot of blokes let alone women.

Joe C

My admittedly limited experience on the subject is that female anglers get a largely positive reaction. It feels like the Angling Trust are trying to make themselves look relevant when it’s not necessary.
The sort of speech that Emma is
talking about sounds like the same sort of uneducated comments I’ve received my whole life for being a male hairdresser.
99% of people are accepting and nice, you will always get the 1% who are idiotic.
I hope Emma and others don’t let this minority put them off of the sport.
I for one would always step in if I ever saw someone being nasty towards anyone for being in the minority within our sport.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Am I missing something? I have never once heard that women have no place in fishing, so why do they feel they have to fight to be included in something they haven't been excluded from?
Reading Emma's blog she quotes things that have been said to her. I have to believe her. Just because we have not witnessed something does not mean it does not happen. Emma does say that she is treated well by most of the anglers she encounters. But one incident of abuse, discrimination or harassment is one too many.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I'm afraid that there is a faction within the Angling Trust that tend to do more harm than good.
A lot of good work has been done by the Angling Trust during the Covid Pandemic, however they seem to have a talent in trying to alienate both members and potential members when it comes to bringing up issues where none exist in order to appear relevant.

For example a Ladies only qualifier for Fishomania to guarantee a Lady Finalist, when Qualifiers had always been open to all regardless of gender.

IMO this will always hinder the Trust in their bid to increase membership.
Exactly, if the women fished the open qualifiers and got through, then they could hold their own in the final. If you were put through on a ladies only qualifier and got hammered out of site in the final it would look even worse.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember the threads about it at the time

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
In my own defence I did mange to beat her and win the match that she organised for us at Alders in 2012. ;)
I bet you took a nugget of her as well.☺️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The open match fishing circuit is just that, a circuit where most people know each other, there is some very harsh and cutting banter, which is dealt with by giving as good as you get. As well as the psychological ‘banter’. Can’t say I’ve heard any derogatory comments when I’ve seen women fishing, although I did tell Julie Abbott she was jammy, when she had a big double right at the end of a match on Barston and beat me off the next peg.... 😀