Zander in the Fens

BH88

Does anybody have any tips on where might be a good place to start to catch a zander or 2 from the fenland drains?
I tried a couple of venues last winter recommended online and had a few pike but no zander. Speaking with the locals they all said that they hadn’t seen any zander for a while.
They is plenty of water about and I just wondered if anyone had any tips on where to start. Not bothered about size, just never caught one before.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Does anybody have any tips on where might be a good place to start to catch a zander or 2 from the fenland drains?
I tried a couple of venues last winter recommended online and had a few pike but no zander. Speaking with the locals they all said that they hadn’t seen any zander for a while.
They is plenty of water about and I just wondered if anyone had any tips on where to start. Not bothered about size, just never caught one before.
Its on my bucket list to catch one also BH88. I always thought that the fens were stuffed with them to be honest. Ive targetted the Trent a couple of times this year but, I too have only had pike and one huge perch but, no zeds just yet. Maybe my own fault though as I think my baits have been ever so slightly on the large side. Apparently half a 3" roach is well big enough. Im only guessing but, I think Ive had a couple of very tentative takes from zeds. Which according to a well known preditor angler I should have struck at. Doh ! Always another day hey ? 👍

BH88

Its on my bucket list to catch one also BH88. I always thought that the fens were stuffed with them to be honest. Ive targetted the Trent a couple of times this year but, I too have only had pike and one huge perch but, no zeds just yet. Maybe my own fault though as I think my baits have been ever so slightly on the large side. Apparently half a 3" roach is well big enough. Im only guessing but, I think Ive had a couple of very tentative takes from zeds. Which according to a well known preditor angler I should have struck at. Doh ! Always another day hey ? 👍
That’s the beauty of fishing though. Always new places and methods to try, always new tips to learn. Just really want the first zed this winter!

Yuccaman

Jack of all trades...
Staff member
Site Supporter
I very unexpectedly had a PB zed about a month ago. I knew the venue I was fishing had some good ones (properly good - up to mid double), but was planning to target them a little later in the year. And then I caught one of 9lb 8oz on pepperami & fake corn... I didn't complain!

In terms of the fens, are we talking Lincs or Cambs?

BH88

I very unexpectedly had a PB zed about a month ago. I knew the venue I was fishing had some good ones (properly good - up to mid double), but was planning to target them a little later in the year. And then I caught one of 9lb 8oz on pepperami & fake corn... I didn't complain!

In terms of the fens, are we talking Lincs or Cambs?
Norfolk/Cambs really,
fake corn??? I bet that gave you a shock when it hit the surface!!

Flathead

Zander are pretty scarce in the fens now.

A few more have been caught in the last couple of years but nothing like the numbers there used to be.

They can turn up anywhere.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That’s the beauty of fishing though. Always new places and methods to try, always new tips to learn. Just really want the first zed this winter!
Like you BH. I'm excited over catching my first but, what other anglers have said is .... Don't be too disappointed as they are not the best of fighting fish. 😩

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Not yet, I have tried the ten mile bank but there is just so much water I don’t really know where to begin.
Family member had one last year on double maggot on the Middle Level on his second or third visit.
I always hear of people getting them down there too and it's a nice location in general.
Can't be of more help though - I've never actually had one myself but then again I've never tried.