Dicks

Gemmil
Curbishley
Kendall

Francis
Latchord
Worthington

That midfield and forward line would be worth some money now
I wonder if a fantastic player and European Cup Winner like Archie Gemmill would make it in the modern era where physical stature has become such a requirement?

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
They got Irwin with right side in mind, but he made the left back position his own, a pick for me as he got on with his game quietly and very effectively, good at free kicks too.
Fine player, certainly better than Neville in my opinion.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
I watched him many times for Oldham before his United days as a friend of mine was an Oldham fan and I used to go to games with him.
Very consistent, solid defensively and an attacking asset, rarely conceded possession. Very good player.

davylad

Site Supporter
Grobelaar

Neil
Hansen
Lawrenson
Nicol

Gerrard
Souness
Whelan
Barnes

Dalglish
Rush
No Tommy Smith, Peter Thompson, Emlyn Hughes or even Ian Callaghan, Ron Yeats. I suppose you can't pick them all but these were a bit special. No a lot special.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
No Tommy Smith, Peter Thompson, Emlyn Hughes or even Ian Callaghan, Ron Yeats. I suppose you can't pick them all but these were a bit special. No a lot special.
My rule is to only select players I’ve seen playing for the club.
That rules out Peter Thompson and Ron Yeats.
I prefer Hansen and Lawrenson to Hughes or Smith.
I only saw the tail end of Ian Callaghan’s career and at that time he was a good solid player in an excellent team but not a star in my youthful eyes!
Could easily put Keegan into midfield or play 4-3-3 but in his day we never played that formation so it would feel like cheating.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
It's difficult too when players may not have been part of really successful team or during a successful era. I always felt that Hypia was a decent centre back for Liverpool. Look at how that role has now changed though, being solid and strong doesn't seem to be the main requirement now, with many clubs/managers favouring defenders that can play the ball out from the back. To that end, I am not sure that nowadays players and well respected pairings such as Bruce/Pallister, Keown/Adams would cut it in the modern game, if they had to play keep ball and also have to distribute.

I would say that someone like Ferdinand thriving was the early sign of different expectations of defenders. Keepers too to a degree, although I don't personally like the way that some teams combat the pressing game by playing the ball about very deep and close to their goal, when done well, yes, it looks great and draws the opposition on (thus creating space behind them), when attempted with non ball playing keepers and defenders it looks very risky to me.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Clearly you value solid, workmanlike players over flair looking at that midfield?
I have seen all but one of my chosen team play. Yes I admired the solid workmanlike players like Perryman ( my all time favourite) and Mackay. But I think that including Bale and Peters ("ten years ahead of his time" - Alf Ramsey), Trippier as an attacking half back, Knowles similarly for his era. I have included enough play makers to supply the two different strikers up front. Both of whom capable of turning a half, even quarter chance into a goal.

I only recall seeing Greaves play in a testimonial, I may have seen him years earlier but I have no recollection. Even as a slightly overweight and out of condition ex player you could see that his instinct and football brain gave him half a yard on a younger defender.

I saw the whole of Perryman's career and it is true I have placed Hoddle on the bench, I saw all of his Tottenham career also. What many people failed to recognise with Hoddle at Tottenham, and the reason his performances for England never quite matched up to his club achievements was the necessity of having Steve Perryman (or a similar player) alongside him. Hoddle's critics would point to his lack of work rate and defensive ability. Quite true and probably the reason I have him on the bench. But at Tottenham Steve Perryman more than made up for Hoddle's weaknesses and was happy to do so. Perryman would win the ball, with tackles that while fair and clean would probably get him booked regularly today. Once in possession he would look to feed Hoddle as the flair player. I happily chose Perryman without Hoddle, but would never select Hoddle without Perryman alongside him.

It was a close call between Bale and Hoddle. But eventually I chose Bale because of what he has achieved and how he has improved since going to Real Madrid. Something I felt Hoddle never quite did at Monaco.

But yes, a solid central defensive pairing and a solid central midfield. Without that solid core the flair players would have nothing on which to construct their mastery of the ball.

Choosing just 11 means I have had to leave out the likes of Eriksen and Son, Crooks and Archibald, Chivers and Gilzean (a great header of the ball), Blanchflower (probably worth selecting for his captaincy alone) and Jones. But a choice had to be made.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Midfield pairings, at least that is one thing that hasn't gone out of fashion, the play breaker upper/ball winner (the sitter) and the creator/play maker (the goer). Like the theory about Hoddle and England too, I would put Scholes in that category too and numerous others from the England golden generation that came to very little.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
It's difficult too when players may not have been part of really successful team or during a successful era. I always felt that Hypia was a decent centre back for Liverpool. Look at how that role has now changed though, being solid and strong doesn't seem to be the main requirement now, with many clubs/managers favouring defenders that can play the ball out from the back. To that end, I am not sure that nowadays players and well respected pairings such as Bruce/Pallister, Keown/Adams would cut it in the modern game, if they had to play keep ball and also have to distribute.

I would say that someone like Ferdinand thriving was the early sign of different expectations of defenders. Keepers too to a degree, although I don't personally like the way that some teams combat the pressing game by playing the ball about very deep and close to their goal, when done well, yes, it looks great and draws the opposition on (thus creating space behind them), when attempted with non ball playing keepers and defenders it looks very risky to me.
Hansen was a ball playing centre back long before it became the vogue.
I always thought his international career suffered as his defensive partners for Scotland, the likes of Willie Miller or McLeish were totally different types of players.
One thing I would say, is that Tony Adams was a far better ball player than most people realised. He was constrained by George Graham’s tactics but was an awesome player. In my opinion the best English centre back I’ve ever seen, if not the best centre back full stop. (I’m not old enough to have seen Bobby Moore).

The Runner

Site Supporter
Newcastle, 4-3-1-2...

Given
Nattrass , Howard, Albert, Clark
Speed, McDermott, Lee
Beardsley
Shearer, Cole

Says a lot about how we've been over my 50 years of supporting that the back line is pretty unspectacular, and have to leave Keegan, Macdonald , Ferdinand , Dyer, Waddle and Ben Arfa (the version when he could be bothered) on the bench. Thought of going 4 4 2 with Ginola and Robert wide but don't think my full backs would appreciate the lack of help.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
There is a pattern emerging here, were our teams better back in the day overall? I suppose unless the City fans re-appear here (am thinking may be about May again), then most teams perhaps aren't as good collectively nowadays.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Ours certainly was better, over half of that team is from Keegan/ Robson days and the rest from before. Not much since then would even get near.

Yuccaman

Jack of all trades...
Staff member
Site Supporter
Watford:

Tony Coton

Nigel Gibbs John McClelland Lloyd Doyley Paul Robinson

John Barnes Abdoulaye Doucoure Nigel Callaghan Ashley Young

Troy Deeney LutherBlissett

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
There is a pattern emerging here, were our teams better back in the day overall? I suppose unless the City fans re-appear here (am thinking may be about May again), then most teams perhaps aren't as good collectively nowadays.
I was in the Etihad a few months ago at a function. What struck me was the images of many of the ‘heroes’ who adorned the walls wouldn’t have got any space at either Anfield or OT!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Ours certainly was better, over half of that team is from Keegan/ Robson days and the rest from before. Not much since then would even get near.
I feel for you, the great fans Newcastle have deserve much better, I would get frustrated with Rafa too who seems frustratingly content to just tick along and not rock the boat by 'demanding' some backing.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Everton (only players I have seen since 1963, so unfortunately no Dixie Dean)

Neville Southall

Gary Stevens
Brian Labone
Kevin Ratcliffe
Ray Wilson

Trevor Steven
Alan Ball
Peter Reid
Kevin Sheedy

Bob Latchford
Graeme Sharp

Subs
Gordon West
Tommy Wright
Mike Lyons
Duncan McKenzie
Howard Kendall
Colin Harvey
Joe Royle
Andy Gray
Big Dunc (Public relations officer)
Brett Angel (Dear God why?)
Terry Curran ( Good squad player with best perm and tash)