Yew tree (wirral)

16m-andbadback

Site Supporter
Hi all, can't seem to find any info on this place apart from the opening times (10am) Sunday
I haven't fished here before so any info on bait, and if you need to use fishery pellets, tactics will be appreciated as I have a match this Sunday

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
There’s a website but I’ve just tried to connect and it’s saying server not found.
I’ll assume you’re on the main lake.
You can use any pellets.
It’s a mixed lake with a good head of silvers and carp, not so many F1s.
Pretty much any tactic has its day though I’ve found fishing to features is an advantage if you draw one. Pretty standard commercial tactics work well.
The killer summer method is meat shallow but it may be too early for that yet.
There is a good head of ide which are great weight builders.
If they are having a go selective baits will pick out the bigger fish but on a hard day fish for everything that swims with balanced gear.
Let me know if you have any more specific questions?

16m-andbadback

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info we have got both lakes would you fish feeder to features or are they in pole range? I was thinking of fishing pellet and corn also do the margins fish this time of year, I have heard its pretty deep?
many thanks

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info we have got both lakes would you fish feeder to features or are they in pole range? I was thinking of fishing pellet and corn also do the margins fish this time of year, I have heard its pretty deep?
many thanks
On the main lake there’s a couple of pegs where the island is in pole range, method in a few more. On the small lake you can pole fish to the island.
I’d have method and pole ready.
Most baits will catch and you’ll be fine with those. The smaller lake is mainly carp.
The fish seem to like cover and the margins may be worth a look but I’ve had best results fishing at distance from the bank, though it’s not a big water if that makes sense?
Good luck and let us know how you get on?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've had some good days fishing meat in the margins on both lakes using a waggler (my pole wasn't strong enough at the time). Pegs 1 to 4 produce a lot of the top weights in matches on the big lake.
My mate who was fishing alongside me, had a good bag of carp on both lakes, fishing the method to the islands & using Robin Reds as hookbait.
Pokerstar has given you most of the decent info anyway, only difference is that I had a really good catch of tench on the small lake, along with some decent roach & bream.
The small lake is fairly shallow, about 3-4 foot. The big lake is quite deep on the side I've fished (pegs 1 to 4)...around 6-8 feet in the margins.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
I've had some good days fishing meat in the margins on both lakes using a waggler (my pole wasn't strong enough at the time). Pegs 1 to 4 produce a lot of the top weights in matches on the big lake.
My mate who was fishing alongside me, had a good bag of carp on both lakes, fishing the method to the islands & using Robin Reds as hookbait.
Pokerstar has given you most of the decent info anyway, only difference is that I had a really good catch of tench on the small lake, along with some decent roach & bream.
The small lake is fairly shallow, about 3-4 foot. The big lake is quite deep on the side I've fished (pegs 1 to 4)...around 6-8 feet in the margins.
All good info @The Landlord
The margins aren’t quite so deep all the way round so take a few rigs.

16m-andbadback

Site Supporter

Thanks for the info

16m-andbadback

Site Supporter
Is it true to say if I draw the small pool you are fishing for section? or can it win matches

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Is it true to say if I draw the small pool you are fishing for section? or can it win matches
If both fish to their potential then you wouldn’t win from there.
This time of year, who knows, but I’d much rather be on the big lake!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
If you look on the website under "Match Results" , it gives you the winning top 3 pegs each week (big lake). One thing you'll see is the same people in the frame every week so don't let it put you off. If you're fishing a club match & not everybody has fished the place, you stand as good a chance as anyone.
Might have a bash there myself this week. Let us know how you get on & good luck

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
If you look on the website under "Match Results" , it gives you the winning top 3 pegs each week (big lake). One thing you'll see is the same people in the frame every week so don't let it put you off. If you're fishing a club match & not everybody has fished the place, you stand as good a chance as anyone.
Might have a bash there myself this week. Let us know how you get on & good luck
I can’t get on the website, has it changed address?

c-cook

Match record went on Thursdays match 185lb. Carp shallow on peg 10. If your there with the Quay then pegging will be quite tight. Just fish it tidy, don't go dumping loads of bait in. Hard pellet up and down in open water for skimmers and carp, if you can reach the island with the pole again hard pellet or corn. Pegs where you have to chuck a method, generally you'll get a couple then they will back off, just picking odd fish off this line throughout the match is the way to go.
You can fish a shallow line at about 6m with mag or caster, you'll catch plenty of silver's but you won't catch enough to win, again its good to have a chuck every now and again for a few quick fish.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Match record went on Thursdays match 185lb. Carp shallow on peg 10. If your there with the Quay then pegging will be quite tight. Just fish it tidy, don't go dumping loads of bait in. Hard pellet up and down in open water for skimmers and carp, if you can reach the island with the pole again hard pellet or corn. Pegs where you have to chuck a method, generally you'll get a couple then they will back off, just picking odd fish off this line throughout the match is the way to go.
You can fish a shallow line at about 6m with mag or caster, you'll catch plenty of silver's but you won't catch enough to win, again its good to have a chuck every now and again for a few quick fish.
If this fella is who I'm thinking it is, then he'll have the best info going, as Colin Cook features in a lot of top 3's on Yew Tree. :)
I remember him as a young lad on the Cammell Lairds coach trips & he was a great angler then!

16m-andbadback

Site Supporter
Fished the match yesterday and guess what I drew peg 8 on the small pool so fishing for section, just missed out by 9oz weighing 22 - 3 and peg 6 weighing 22 - 12.
110-8 won the match with plenty of 50lb+ was hard on the small pool though :)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Unlucky mate. Which peg won on the big lake?
Was your catch mainly carp?