Wyrley & Essington Canal Pelsall

T K

Bum Draw Master
Club cards for the new 2019/2020 season (commencing 16th June) are now available to members, still just £5 for the year

T K

Bum Draw Master
Thanks to those members renewing their membership (y)

Meanwhile, member Gaz Flint had a few tugs on Friday morning. The picture doesn't do the bream justice as it was estimated to be 5.5 - 6lbreceived_459678244801442.jpeg

T K

Bum Draw Master
Mr V.jpgSteve Cope's Express and Star report of last weekends club match

The hottest day of the year so far on Saturday and still conditions led to weights being down from the preceding weeks impressive catches on the Wyrley & Essington Canal on Pelsall Common at the Cashmores MG match. Drawn on peg 9 to the side of the junction with the Cannock Extension Canal, Paul Vernon pole fished dead red maggots for a trio of tench plus small skimmers for 8 - 8 - 0. Runner up, Barry Broadhurst poled chopped worm off peg 6, at the other side of the junction, catching another three tench, although he lost one which could have made all the difference, plus small perch to scale 6 - 1 - 9. Third place went to Dennis Jeffery who put 5 - 1 - 0 onto the scales, comprising of one tench, roach and rudd snared on poled punch bread on peg 2, further along the common

T K

Bum Draw Master
Doggers AC had a small club match on the section between the Fingerpost pub and the junction on Sunday last. Steve Griffiths ran out comfortable winner with 12lb but would have been chased home harder by 2nd placed Gaz Flint who put 5lb 8oz of silvers on the scales but who sadly got seen off by a couple of tincas

S G 12lb.jpg

Hi TK,

Money will be in the post for this years permit. Probably buy the cannock extension as well as its always worth the money.

I had a bash on the W&E last weekend. There was plenty of action, with roach and rudd coming thick and fast to my bread flake - pinched on and float fished 18 hook. A couple of tincas came along and made for exciting catches on 4lb hook length. The first caught me off guard and wrap me round
the lillies. Had to sit and wait five mins, before he came back out of the tangles. Weighed the latter at 3.5 lbs.

DSCF0180.JPG

DSCF0182.JPG

T K

Bum Draw Master
Great Lobworm, good to see and hear of you having some tugs, thanks for the update 🐟🐟🐟👍

Many thanks too of your continuing support of our canal sections. Look forward to bumping into you again on the towpath

Tight lines

Hi TK, thanks for the permits, found them when I got up for the second time today. I popped out at 4am for a quick walk down to one of my usual spots on your stretch of the the W&E. A lovely morning, with the bats still flying and the blackbirds only just starting the morning chorus.

I'd pre-baited last night with half a dozen or so blended slices of white bread. Don't know if that played a part in my fortune, but who know's.

Anyway, just as it was becoming officially sunrise I spotted the rolling wave of something amongst the reeds, and not too long after my float started to drift and dib a bit, nothing fast like the roach pulling, but nice and slow. Anyway, after five minutes of will he won't he, the float sauntered off and slowly sank away. Strike, one hell of a pull on the rod, and a good bend of both arm and rod. I'd got a decent hook and line strength, so hoped it was a good take, and after a hard fight and a few attempted runs a 5.25lb tinca came into the net. Unhooked quickly and sent back into the canal, I watched it swim away none the worse for its trouble.

I was just about too sit back and chill, when bubbles came up mid swim straight in front of me. So quickly pinched on a big chunk of bread and cast past and reeled back to where bubbles marked the spot. Float didn't have time to set properly as bait was taken on the drop. One more hearty fight ensued, with the rod creeking this time, and my arms doing the same. This time result was the following 5.5 lb tinca. a quick pic, then released.

I gave it another half an hour, but sun was now truly up and the roach and rudd were now pestering my oversized bait, so home to bed for few hours.

Attachments

T K

Bum Draw Master
Good to read about your continuing exploits Lobworm, they are nice tinca specimens 🐟🐟🐟
Just off for a walk along the towpath myself (at a more reasonable hour lol) to see if I can spot any moving/feeding beasties.

Tight lines

Had a stroll down the canal this afternoon. The hot weather has had the usual effect on the bream who were out in numbers basking in the warm weather. A couple of them were especially big showing their shoulders at the surface. A few shots below... attempts at arty shots..

bream1.gif

bream2.gif

Reactions: T K
Had a short session down the cut before breakfast this morning, sharing it with the last of the bats and the early dawn chorus. There was plenty of rudd willing to take the hook, but the tench seemed a bit shyer today, with a few circling and nibbling at my standard bread flake, but only one took the float away. A nice fight though, as I was using light gear today, with the reel set to allow the tinca to take line when surging away, adding to the sport.

Reactions: T K