Wrap around bites with no fish on?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How does it happen on the feeder?

Had it a lot today fishing worm for Chub. Tried hooking the worm a few times, same thing happening! Phantom bites! Bites that arch the rod over and with the tip bouncing about...

Maverick

Site Supporter
Had about 4 of those yesterday whilst fishing a commie for carp. I was fishing at 50mtrs. The tip goes right round either slow or fast, you pick up and nothing there or sometimes you feel something for a second or two then nothing.

I have always put it down to fish swiming through the line. It can often catch on their dorsal fin and it looks like a proper bite.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
A mystery like when yer in yer bag or having a cup of tea or a sarnie and the rod goes only to spring back when ya get a hand to it :mad: :mad:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Feeder getting nudged for me too. Especially if it happens almost immediately after the cast, then eases as the bait is eaten up. I shorten my hooklength right down when this is happening, don't assume it is 'just' small fish doing it either, our old friends are a dab hand at getting away with bait like that too.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Good idea on the no bait on hook thing! I had it down as just one of the mysteries of Chub fishing.

rudd

Site Supporter
How does it happen on the feeder?

Had it a lot today fishing worm for Chub. Tried hooking the worm a few times, same thing happening! Phantom bites! Bites that arch the rod over and with the tip bouncing about...
Could also be Eels messing with bait?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo ...have you had it happen before fishing there, or was it just this time ??
Happens all the time, even with maggot. Thinking about it the maggots come back smashed or the worm with teeth marks on so I think it is bites.

If I could hit every bite there I'd bag up! It's why I preferred fishing maggot there to worm actually, but too many small fish there now to be able to fish maggot.

Could also be Eels messing with bait?
Yeah could be! There's loads of eels in there!

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Ive had that happen with what I think were larger bream. Perhaps they swam through and caught the line on their hump.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When it happens to me I guess it’s either liners, feeder bumps or maybe just small fish grabbing the bait but not the hook although you can tell when it’s the latter as the bait is in tatters lol.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I do the following;

After a sharp bite too quick to strike at, count to 60 in my head.
If I have another tap, I restart the count.

That way it means I’m not fishing for too long with no or damaged hookbait. But it’s very addictive and the minutes add up meaning I often stay for longer than planned trying to hit bites.

Most casts follow that process, and the worm will be smashed or gone.

If I found a way to hit these bites or convert the taps into bites, or if a better angler who’d already worked it out was fishing for the Chub, I’m sure I’d frequently have 10 fish out of there in a session compared to my average of 4 or 5 so far this year.

smiffy

Site Supporter
If they are bites then it’s simply a presentation problem. Something is stopping the fish taking your bait with confidence. There’s a whole multitude of things to try but the reason for plucks and dinks is wary fish not confident in taking your bait.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You're probably right. Searching on google for 'Missing Chub Bites' - John Bailey seems to think the same as you.

I could play with the length of my hooklength, it's 2 foot long. Any longer and there's too many snags for it to waft into. any shorter I don't think is beneficial to fishing worm in fast water.

I've tried maggots, worms, bread, meat, paste, different size hooks. Maggots and worms get the most bites, and this included last season when I still had the same problem and I could fish maggot because there was no small fish about unlike this season where there's loads of Chublets.

My feeder is critically balanced.

I'll pass off my presentation skills and say it's something to do with the way Chub feed lol but I'm always experimenting there. A google search reveals other people having the same problem, though I do wish I could crack it. Fortunately Chub are quite predatory and despite feeding with their lips on a pressured water, they will come back and smash a bait more than once especially if something natural like a worm is my theory.