Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't forget the Brown Sauce :D

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
@sly
Just checked the indices for you and the going rate is 5p a fresh maggot,rising to 10p if he starts rubbing it in.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
To be honest I feel ripped off, Here's a list of what should be in the lake we fished according to their website, the lake we fished was Kennel...

Carp to 20lb, Cruceans to 2 lb, Roach to 2lb, Chub to 5lb. Bream to 2lb, Rudd to 1 lb.

The only fish caught were Gudgeon (not in the list) and F1's (not in the list). A few 'stockies' were caught to about 1lb but that was it. No Bream, Roach, Chub or Rudd showed. I hate to say this but after 55 years of fishing and being an experienced bailiff it felt as though Kennel lake was netted and restocked with small Carp and F1's
The staff in the cafe had an attitude problem, and it felt as though she was saying... "We've got your money, now sod off" sort of thing.

Yes, we had a laugh, yes we got a bit damp and the wind wasn't exactly kind to us but for me, the only enjoyable time was with the company of @sly and @tipitinmick, 2 very nice characters.

It should also be noted that there are no concessions for elderly or disabled anglers.
As an afterthought, if you intend going yourself, take some bait, the so-called tackle shop is abysmal. It does not sell maggot, caster, worm, or anything really except for pellet.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Geoff did tell me that he didn't rate the place when I moved up here Pete so I've never bothered to visit there and judging by your report I've not missed much.:(

@Geoff P

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Peter

The website does seem to 'brag' it up a lot mate. It advertises a fully licenced bar, but all it is is a piece of hand sawn timber big enough to hold 3 beer pumps, one marked beer, one marked lager and the other marked cider. There are no bottles at all and no wine either. That is your bar, right next to the where they cook the breakfasts. @sly was 'got at' just for parking up and unloading the fishing gear, and yet the website says parking behind your peg. The attitude of the staff stinks as well.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bank End is a better fishery but it is normally matched up at weekends, although I think one of the lakes (East Lake) could be clear for pleasure fishing.

I thought Millionaire Micks looked like a tip when I went there.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I thought Millionaire Micks looked like a tip when I went there.
Yes mate, it looks like a tip behind pegs 13, 14, 15 and 16 (Kennel Lake). Machinery all rusting away.

sly

all the bit better gear and still aint got a clue
Site Supporter
we headed straight for breakfast,the change in the attitude from when I went on my own was unbelievable,but as tip said because they were having to cater for the matchmen when they arrived it could have put them under the cosh a bit.
Pulled up in the car park/hard standing went to have a look at water,as we walked up there were tyre tracks in the grass so backed the car up to unload,half way through woman from café shouted can`t park on grass,my reply just unloading and will move it,what her reply was I didn't hear so finished unloading then parked car up.
Yes,the place is a mess with all sorts of industrial equipment everywhere but in the scheme things that is irrelevant as long as the fish are there.

As I was setting up tip arrived so we started chatting,as uk was already set up and fishing Pics 1+2 view from peg,pic 3 uk modelling the latest look in designer fishing,wear pic 4 tip,whilst chatting uk had his first fish a gudgeon,I was still in the process of setting up,my idea was cast to the island clip up and see what happens,first cast short added two foot of line or so,cast out again waited for line to hit clip,oops not clipped line in landed on the island ,retrieved feeder minus hook,finally got stuff sussed ,in the meantime uk is still catching silvers, I cast to the island and had a good bite,my first fish landed pic 5,so tip shouts wot ya got sly,my reply looks like a gold roach,biiiiig mistake,tip come and looks that's an F1 yer daft t**t,and that set the tone of the abuse I got off tip for the rest of the day.

Once tip n uk had finished laughing at my gold roach,tip started to set up with a pole,and had a slowish start but when he did catch the call came over,oi sly look at this gold roach its a gud un,oi sly I got another gold roach,this went on for a bit,the last oi I got was for a very very big gold roach,by this time I had caught a steady run of F1`s and small mirrors pic 6 all on maggot feeder so got pole out tried pole and sweetcorn ,sod all,went to method feeder and started catchin F1`s again.
Uk in the meantime used various tactics,close in and distance,float,feeder,maggot,sweetcorn,had a few F1`s but was plagued with silvers,it wasn`t until he started casting closer to the island that his catch rate went up,sadly it was too little too late,I had out classed and out fished him which makes a big change.

Tips biggest fish that I saw was a monster F1,my biggest fish was a common carp 3-4 lbs,uks biggest fish was a mirror carp round about the same size,and just so that uk couldn`t feel superior with all the silvers he had caught,this one is mine pic 7.
Apart from the rain I thoroughly enjoyed myself the sarcasm,mick taking was first class,given it was the first time we had met tip,he jumped straight in pulled no punches and gave as good as he got,top man.

would we go back?i would whether I fished that lake or one of the others on site,as for tip n uk that remains to be seen.
AND FINALLY.
27/1 we might be going to hayfields so if anyone wants to join us the offer is there,more details as and when

IMG_20190113_083359.jpgIMG_20190113_083403.jpgIMG_20190113_083425.jpgIMG_20190113_085502.jpgIMG_20190113_090416.jpgIMG_20190113_092105.jpgIMG_20190113_102438.jpg

ukzero1

Site Supporter
With regard to Hayfield, a phone call might be in order to see if they're matched up. I'll do it tomorrow morning. But as it stands...well they'd better look out. :LOL: :whistle:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
You might want to hold back on the Hayfield outing. Take a look at the weather forecast for Sunday 27th....

1547540526622.png

sly

Site Supporter
Outch,that's a bit of a bugga 🙁🙁

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi All,

Well, as you've all seen both myself, Sly and Peter attended Woodhouse Grange for a spot of pleasure fishing on Sunday 13th January. And what a pleasure it was. For me it was anyway. Not so much for the fishing but, to listen to those two. They are worse than an old married couple. They never let up. And they are both as bad as one another. But, you know what, I wouldnt want them to change for anything. What a laugh I had. I think that was their tactic. Put tippy off and we will batter him. 😆😆😆

What can you say about this fishery that hasnt already been said. It could be a very nice fishery to be honest and if the owner is a millionaire then it doesnt show. A very untidy fishery with scrap machinery all over the place. Not the most scenic of venues I've ever fished. When I arrived at the venue both Sly and Peter were just setting up. Peter explained to me that he had put Sly in the ultimate flying peg and half expected Sly to do 200lb that day. I must admit, looking across to the island and seeing all the fish crashing about I believed him. Alas that didnt quite happen but, old Sly did have a good go, even trying to catch fish ON the island. Ive not seen that method used before. Maybe he was trying to catch a grass carp ? Who knows. Slys first fish apparently was the biggest golden roach Ive ever seen. I foolishly thought it was an F1 but, bowing to Slys vast knowledge of fish species me and Pete agreed it must be a record breaking golden roach. I set up a pole not wanting to get in the way of Sly and his many island swims. I ssy this as Sly never threw to the same spot all day. Ha ha ha ! Bites were vertually none existent for the first hour for me. I think I approached the venue a little too cautiously though. Ive read that F1 fishing is normally very delicate but, I think I went too delicately. Potting micros in and fishing 4mm expander did eventually bring F1's, commons and mirrors into my swim. It didnt help that the colour was dropping out of it while we were there and that there had been a match on the previous day. That cant have helped. But, saying that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself fishing along side two of the funniest guys you are ever likely to meet. Just that next time I will have to remember my ear plugs.😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Thank you Sly and Peter. 👍

Total

Site Supporter
Enjoyed reading that Mick.(y)....I bet you felt at times like a referee stuck between Sly and Peter. :unsure:.....Reminded me of the two characters on the 'Warburton' advert taken from the 'Muppet Show':whistle::giggle::LOL:

Glad you had a good day gentleman and it showed in your reports.(y)....What fishing should always be about, enjoying the day.:)

Last edited:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
When @sly started catching, I was going to burst into song with "Baby Shark do do..dodo..." but the water looked a bit cold to go involuntary swimming.
@tipitinmick It was a pleasure meeting you sir, and enjoyed the company and banter, but when you tackled up 2 or 3 pegs away I thought it was my aftershave (or sly's perfume) :whistle: :LOL:. Hope you come along again soon mate. (y)

sly

Site Supporter
When @sly started catching, I was going to burst into song with "Baby Shark do do..dodo..." but the water looked a bit cold to go involuntary swimming.
@tipitinmick It was a pleasure meeting you sir, and enjoyed the company and banter, but when you tackled up 2 or 3 pegs away I thought it was my aftershave (or sly's perfume) :whistle: :LOL:. Hope you come along again soon mate. (y)
OI!,nowt wrong with my perfume ya cheeky git

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@sly, Well women wear that posh stuff..Chanel No5 I think it's called. But sorry to say, yours was like canal No. 4 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: