Winter Carp Rigs

Maverick

Site Supporter
As we all know the carp boys fish all winter in their quest to catch a few carp and have their own favourite winter carp rigs and methods they use etc., where as many of us match/pleasure anglers tend to go down the 'Fishing for silvers route'

Can we take a leaf out of the carp boys book and is there any use for winter carp rigs on todays commercial fisheries during the colder months when we are leaving baits out for much longer periods of time? Do any of you make up any winter carp rigs?

I did tie up some zig rigs last year after reading so much about the Thermoclime layer and how fish sit off the bottom. I used them on a sleeper rod with a buzzer whilst I got on with catching silver fish on my other rod.
I never had any takes on that rod over many sessions and put it down to the fact that the fish on commercials just aren't used to seeing baits presented in that way and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Silver fan 82

As we all know the carp boys fish all winter in their quest to catch a few carp and have their own favourite winter carp rigs and methods they use etc., where as many of us match/pleasure anglers tend to go down the 'Fishing for silvers route'

Can we take a leaf out of the carp boys book and is there any use for winter carp rigs on todays commercial fisheries during the colder months when we are leaving baits out for much longer periods of time? Do any of you make up any winter carp rigs?

I did tie up some zig rigs last year after reading so much about the Thermoclime layer and how fish sit off the bottom. I used them on a sleeper rod with a buzzer whilst I got on with catching silver fish on my other rod.
I never had any takes on that rod over many sessions and put it down to the fact that the fish on commercials just aren't used to seeing baits presented in that way and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
If you are talking about "match sized" carp on commercials then I usually just scale down bait size so bait like dead maggot, small 8mm boilies, bandum pellet and popped up bread seem to work well. I like fishing a light method feeder with dead maggot on the hook, a few mixed into the method mix. I don't put too much loose feed into the mix as in winter you don't want to feed the fish too much and ruin the swim, just enough to attract them and keep them interested.

Sam Vimes

Winter fishing is more about moderating the size of hookbaits and the quantity of loosefeed than any particular rig. Many will reduce line diameters, and hook sizes, accordingly. However, that may only be required on the clearer water venues. Ultimately, winter fishing boils down to location. That may include location within the water column if the venue is deep enough.

Far more likely that the average commercial isn't anywhere near deep enough to develop obvious thermoclines. Zigs can undoubtedly work on shallower venues, but water temperatures at different depths are usually negligible.

davylad

Site Supporter
The few times I've fished for carp in winter, I've caught far more with popped up bread about 12 to 18" off bottom. This is in a lake with a maximum depth of 4'. I used to take the water temp, and never caught anything if it was 4 degrees or below, but sometimes caught well if it was up to 7 or above.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
As has been said, I just scale down on size in winter. I still fish a bottom bait on one rod, but on the other, I use a an adjustable zig-rig with small pop-up boilie (8 or 10mm) on a size 12 or 14 hook. With that rod I can search the layers and set the other rod up to match it once I find those finsters.

markyboy

I caught carp yesterday on popped up bread, 3x8mm discs, QM1 14 to 0.17 line 12" off bottom in 4' of water, 6mm hard pellet on a mini method feeder in the same swim when bites dropped off on the bread, QM1 16 to 0.15 and 4mm expander just touching bottom in 6' of water on the pole, LWG 16 to 0.13, was a very pleasant day.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Interesting.
I had about 4 feet of water next to the island opposite my peg yesterday, and had just one carp in two hours, using a wafter anchored 2" from the bottom by a no.4 shot.
Then I lost a fish when the hook opened as I tried to hold it out of tree roots.
Attached a new 18" banded hooklength and cast out again.
And had five carp in 30 minutes.
I'd forgotten to put the split shot on, so I was fishing mid depth.

What do the letters MWG stand for? Bloody good hooks, anyway!

Total

Site Supporter
Interesting.
I had about 4 feet of water next to the island opposite my peg yesterday, and had just one carp in two hours, using a wafter anchored 2" from the bottom by a no.4 shot.
Then I lost a fish when the hook opened as I tried to hold it out of tree roots.
Attached a new 18" banded hooklength and cast out again.
And had five carp in 30 minutes.
I'd forgotten to put the split shot on, so I was fishing mid depth.

What do the letters MWG stand for? Bloody good hooks, anyway!
Blimey Dave, :oops:.......Those MWG's take some straightening/opening out.:unsure:......Never managed that once in many years of use......(y)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Blimey Dave, :oops:.......Those MWG's take some straightening/opening out.:unsure:......Never managed that once in many years of use......(y)
No no no!
It was a Guru Pellet waggler hook which straightened!
The MWG stayed good for the rest of the session, and a fair few carp!
(y)

Total

Site Supporter
No no no!
It was a Guru Pellet waggler hook which straightened!
The MWG stayed good for the rest of the session, and a fair few carp!
(y)
My apologies Dave, your post didn't read like that.(y).......As you say, MWG hooks are excellent, will stop a train.:giggle:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Medium wide gape I thought...

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Winter commercial carp rigs for me just involve scaling down.

Mainline/hooklength 0.13/0.10 instead of 0.17/0.13. 18 instead of 16 hook and 1.2mm bristle instead of 2mm.

Float may reduce to 0.2g from 0.5g on calm days. And for windy days a heavier float with a bristle of at least 3 inches.

Bait will be smaller or lighter.