Why don't I catch Trout?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've never caught a Trout. I remember when I was a kid we caught a Trout as a group somehow with Scouts and cooked it but that was a long time ago. Apparently there are Trout in the Stour near me, but apparently they need good clean water to thrive, am I right?

My main question revolves around Patshull Park fishery if anyone knows it. It's closed to Coarse Fishing until August with the main Trout Season being from March to July. If anyone knows that fishery, do Trout turn up in Coarse catches or in matches? I have not heard of this happening, at least not much? I think it might be because the Trout are in the shallow end of the lake and mostly caught from boats whereas most of the Bream, at least the fishing I do there, is in the deep water on a feeder. Anyone caught a Trout from Patshull?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If there’s enough trout anywhere you will catch them as they are as daft as the smallest silverfish if you have maggots. I’ve caught them in plague proportions on the Itchen and wye when targeting grayling and dace.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm hoping to fluke one from the Worcs Stour one day. Here's a video of them pumping them into Patshull. I like the way they stock their lakes sometimes with a big water cannon style pump sending the fish flying.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
when they stocked them years ago in res could catch a lot on maggot, one way was to catapult floating casters and fish sweetcorn or worm on a bubble float where they was rising maggot feeder used to catch the brown trout

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All those I’ve caught whilst coarse fishing have been wild brownies so they might behave differently to stocked rainbows which I’ve only caught on the fly.

1589812330156.jpeg 1589812355315.jpeg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I know when they hold matches there it gets pegged in the shallows of the lake too so I wonder if any come out in matches on the feeder. I tend to fish the deeps where it's 20 foot deep on the feeder so that might be why.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
cant remember catching many rainbows on feeder did get brown trout used to catch rainbow slow sinking hookbait feeding maggot but that was 20 years ago one bloke bought some trout pellets and used them on hooks

Mister M

Did you ever fish Forge Dam when you were a lad Chris? I had some fun fishing for the small stockies that they used to put in on maggot or worm, it’s in a sorry state these days sadly.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
caught my first fish on my own there, well hooked it swung it in and hook fell off didn't fish many times there had to catch buses so just fished flask underbank and odd occasion ulley until 1994 when I passed driving test

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Did you ever fish Forge Dam when you were a lad Chris? I had some fun fishing for the small stockies that they used to put in on maggot or worm, it’s in a sorry state these days sadly.
have took daughter for a walk there seen brook trout in river further up

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I often caught the occasional Brown Trout when fishing the Blackwater in Hampshire. On most rivers they tend to live in the clear waters in the upper reaches, and coarse fish inhabit the deeper waters in the middle to lower reaches, but on chalk streams they can be found almost down to the estuary.

Sportsman

In Scotland there was a trout fishery that decided to switch one of their lakes to coarse. They didn't get all of the trout out, so they just asked us to put any trout we caught into the next lake a few yards away.
The first time I fished on the pole I caught loads and loads of rainbows, on maggot and sweet corn, withe the corn outfishing the maggot about 3:1.
A 4lb rainbow can be quite fun to catch on the pole :)