Who's going to post the first...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynedace

just had a quick session on the tyne river is very low but had 20+ dace great way to start the season

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
MAP sponsored angler Tony Curd posted this at 8am this morning on Facebook having had an awesome start to the river season on the Thames around the Kingston area.....

First of all... Happy New Fishing Season! Next... Wow! Fished a new swim on the River this morning from 12 until 5 and if you could describe the perfect conditions for it then that was it, ideal flow and a little bit of colour. Fed heavily with Bait-Tech Omen and Kult Sweet Fishmeal for a few hours before the 'All In' fishing a feeder over the top throughout the night. Had 6 bream in my first 7 casts and caught well all night to end up with 70 to 75 bream up to 8lb for somewhere in the region of 350-400lb. Photo of a very small part of my catch as most went back once the net was full! An incredible evening and a real red letter day! #fishing #TeamMAP #TeamBaitTech

JLK

Cracking net of fish.

Quick question based on this net of fish and the fact he was night fishing.

How well can fish see in the dark? Do they have special night vision capabilities or was it just a case of homing in on the 'fishmeal smell' that had been lingering for a couple of hours before the all in - then hoovering up blindly?

I'd be interested to know how much he fed in his pre-baiting spell prior to fishing.

Do you think twenty jaffa's of pungent fishmeal groundbait on a commercial with a good head of bream/skimmers would result in the same kind of response in a 5 hr match throughout the day?

I've often felt 3/4 ball's isn't enough. Maybe another 15 on top of the 3/4 and left for 3 hrs might have the same effect?

Total

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

350-400lb, must be overstocked, easy to fish. Not proper fishing.[:D]
Excellent. [:D][:D]

DFL

Didn't fish today but did the next best thing and had a walk along the Canterbury section of the Stour, counted ten anglers along a one mile stretch trying their luck, none particularly successful. The river is gin clear and it must be frustrating when you can see some very large chub cruising around totally disinterested in taking any bait, I'll have a go tomorrow.

genesis

Living Leg End
And they have the cheek to call commercials easy and full of puddle pigs.

groundhog

Life Survivor

[:)][;)][:T] Brilliant Neil mate,the only thing you missed off with "must be overstocked, easy to fish" was muddy little stream.[:T]
[:D][:D][:D]

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter

Yeah, put him on one of those managed, commercial jobbies and I bet he couldn't get a bite.

map

Tony said he doesn't even think it's scratched the surface of the size of the shoal.......

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
There are some huge shoals of big bream in the Thames - but they are very hit and miss.

Good to know they are still in there though.

TonyCurd

JLK - I fed my swim first at 9pm with 15 40mm balls using a Nash Ball Maker device, then again at 9.30 with 5 more, and the same every half an hour with a further 5 after every fourth fish.

TonyCurd

JLK - Interesting you pick up about the night feeding, I don't honestly think they can see much at all. All my fish fell to maggots and I don't use anything else - in the past I have caught on boilies and pellets but you definitely wait longer for bites. These fish are grazing over a bed of small particles so I think they are far more likely to pick up a maggot hookbait a lot quicker than a boilie - they are lighter and I think that is the key point with it.

woodmagnet

Dartist.
Originally posted by TonyCurd

JLK - I fed my swim first at 9pm with 15 40mm balls using a Nash Ball Maker device, then again at 9.30 with 5 more, and the same every half an hour with a further 5 after every fourth fish.
Welcome aboard Tony, great start to your river season marra.
Thanks for passing on the information.[:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.