Whip question

Silverfisher

I’m thinking of getting a whip for canal fishing, nothing fancy just around the £30 mark, having not used one for about 10 years. Back then I used a £15 Leeda elasticated whip for which you’d just tie the line to a loop in the elastic so I have no experienced of attaching line to a flick tip. It looks a bit fiddly to me so is it easier than it looks? Also does everything you need come with the whip or do you have to buy bits separately?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
To tie the line to a flick tip, is easy. You just need a couple of bits of silicon or rubber.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Two pieces of silicone tubing to put rig on, one piece a couple of inches from tip the other on pole rig, put loop on rig behind pice on whip as if line going on dalton connector, wrap around tip a few times ,then put piece on rig on tip so it over hangs a little to save wrap around, Or buy a stonfo connector to go on end of whip and attach rig that way, both ways work well. As for brand I would go daiwa or preston innovations, that is only my personal choice, other brands available.
EDIT , @The Landlord posted vid as I was posting my bit. 😁

frankg

Site Supporter
Silver.....just glue on a Stnfo connector.....use araldite, not superglue....it won't move and very easy to attach your rigs

Silverfisher

I'm thinking that'll be the route I go down if I do get one, seems the quickest option.

JLK

Get yourself a Leeda 4m Concept GT-X competition whip. For the money they are very good and perfect for what you want.

richox12

Using the 'Lasoo' method behind silicone or onto the knot of stiff nylon/hollow braid (which itself is already attached to the flicktip) is the best way to go and avoid the tangles which plastic connectors can cause.

frankg

Site Supporter
Using the 'Lasoo' method behind silicone or onto the knot of stiff nylon/hollow braid (which itself is already attached to the flicktip) is the best way to go and avoid the tangles which plastic connectors can cause.
Richox....I found it the other way around....tangles with the silicone set-up and none when I changed over to the stonfo

adriang

I use a similar method to the 'lassoo method' except I keep that permanently on the whip, with a loop on the end and then I attach whatever rig I'm using to that loop. I use a larger diameter line, ideally something thats not supple (I've not tried flurocarbon, but I should). This was shown to me by Jean-Pierre Fougeat while I was in France and sat behind him a couple of times, so I figured if he's using it, its got to be a good idea.

Used to use stonflos, went back to the whipping as I think it's more secure. My go-to whip is a 7m Daiwa, top 2 or 3 sections are telescopic, rest is take apart. I had a stonflo come loose (it was glued on with 2 pack epoxy). I think it took a beating from being put away and banging against the second section when packed down. After that, I decided its a single point of failure.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Richox....I found it the other way around....tangles with the silicone set-up and none when I changed over to the stonfo
Frank, did you have the 2nd piece of silicone from rig to pole tip, flush with end of tip or overhanging, If overhanging it shouldn't flip over tip and tangle

frankg

Site Supporter
Frank, did you have the 2nd piece of silicone from rig to pole tip, flush with end of tip or overhanging, If overhanging it shouldn't flip over tip and tangle
Overhanging Mark....but still got wrap-arounds. I find the Stonfo connectors much better.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I fit 6" of fly line backing onto the tip , it works like a Chinese finger puzzle the more you pull the tighter it gets. With a knot on the end an inch from the tip then attach rig with double loop .

BTMS

Site Supporter
Steve,
Any chance of a photo of that sounds ideal

Ta

Brian

BTMS

Site Supporter
Thank you. How is attached under the sleeve?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
If you have ever played with a Chinese finger puzzle it works like that. It's hollow and you squeeze it up to gain diameter and work it up about 5 " then slide on a bit of tubing to grip it and cover the cut end and a bit of the tip to make it neat then tie a knot and trim. You could use carpers lead core with the lead removed.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I fit 6" of fly line backing onto the tip , it works like a Chinese finger puzzle the more you pull the tighter it gets. With a knot on the end an inch from the tip then attach rig with double loop .
My 30+ year old shakespeare bleak whip came with that attached , but was shorter than 6", worked brilliantly , I ended up fitting a stone when the tip of the whip started to put hole in fly line, I still have and use the whip.

BTMS

Site Supporter
If you have ever played with a Chinese finger puzzle it works like that. It's hollow and you squeeze it up to gain diameter and work it up about 5 " then slide on a bit of tubing to grip it and cover the cut end and a bit of the tip to make it neat then tie a knot and trim. You could use carpers lead core with the lead removed.
Brilliant

Cheers

Brian

BTMS

Site Supporter
Steve where did you get it tried "Googling" it no results:confused: even tried E Bay