Which whip

Captain Pugwash

Hi fancy having a go at whip fishing, (never done it before) it will be for small rivers, canals and the odd Stillwater.
Any recommendations helpful budget £50.
I've done a search and have weighed up that a whip with both elasticated and flicktip tops would be advantageous.
I wouldn't know which top to use in any given scenario help here would also be helpful.
Length also?
Cheers

frankg

Site Supporter
At that price....Preston Absolute....lovely whips. If your birthday is around the corner....Tricast Competition Whip :)

I'd say go for a 4 or 5m. If you're just getting one, I'd probably plumb for the 4m.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
If you get a take-apart whip you can alter the length as you wish. The top two are usually telescopic.

DFL

If your budget can stretch a little there is a Daiwa Harrier 6m system whip up for auction on EBay ending in a few hours.

Many would argue that older Daiwa whips such as the Harrier or Tommy Pickering Conny are far superior to the whips of today.

NoCarpPlease

At that price....Preston Absolute....lovely whips. If your birthday is around the corner....Tricast Competition Whip :)

I'd say go for a 4 or 5m. If you're just getting one, I'd probably plumb for the 4m.
You can always fish a 5m whip with a section removed .... so I'd go for the 5m.
On narrow canals I rarely fish a whip longer than 2.5m, on rivers rarely one less than 5.
And unless you're likely to catch fish over 1.5 pounds regularly then I'd choose a flick tip.

Captain Pugwash

Had a plunge on a Middy baggin machine 5.5m, 2 x elasticated tops and a flick tip £29.95 @ a local tackle shop. I have fished a local pond twice with it just to get used to it even though plauged by very high winds.
Had a great day on silver's with the flick tip then had to change tops when the carp invaded managed to get a 7.5lb one out after what seemed like an eternity.
Also fished the canal and had a great day on the roach using it minus the first and detention making 4m.
Only a cheap job but seems to get the job done.
I will ponder on suggested models if I upgrade.
Cheers