Which barbel rod?

Vince Smith

Hi all
just joined and wandered if you could recommend a quality barbel rod. I fish the river Severn and usually use carp rods but i want to get some rods for feeder and lead fishing. I use anything up to 6oz leads so they must have the strength to punch these out.
Cheers
Vince
:)

davej1981

Cant answer your question but welcome to the forum! Someone will be able to help you im sure, there’s plenty on here who fish the severn

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Hi Vince, for good value for money have a look at the korum 13ft 2.5 test curve comes out at about sixty quid and a few people I know on the trent swear by them , also they are doing the new 12ft xcaliber 2.5 test curve for about 150 quid which is supposed to be good, Diawa powermesh 2.75 test curve is another excellent machine but they did spoil it with the mk2 version where they changed the rings and added a flat cork handle they can be got for about 120 quid, my mate has two and they are well up to the job. Keep away from the new fox offerings as I have had a few bad reports of them breaking in the top section although I do use a pair of their royales 2.25s and they are excellent but only for 4 ounce feeder loaded a 5 or 6oz lead at a lob rather than a full cast if you get my drift, but it all depends how much you want to spend, personally I would have a look at the new xcaliber at 150 quid

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
The problem at the moment is, that once you decide which rods you want, is finding somewhere that has them in stock.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Hi Vince, for good value for money have a look at the korum 13ft 2.5 test curve comes out at about sixty quid and a few people I know on the trent swear by them , also they are doing the new 12ft xcaliber 2.5 test curve for about 150 quid which is supposed to be good, Diawa powermesh 2.75 test curve is another excellent machine but they did spoil it with the mk2 version where they changed the rings and added a flat cork handle they can be got for about 120 quid, my mate has two and they are well up to the job. Keep away from the new fox offerings as I have had a few bad reports of them breaking in the top section although I do use a pair of their royales 2.25s and they are excellent but only for 4 ounce feeder loaded a 5 or 6oz lead at a lob rather than a full cast if you get my drift, but it all depends how much you want to spend, personally I would have a look at the new xcaliber at 150 quid
The only made-in-China rod I’m paying over £100 for is one with Shimano written on it, as they have their own China-based factories and they roll their own blanks.

How Korum had the balls to price that xcaliber is beyond me, and that’s as somebody who buys top of the line tackle / sometimes even imports from the Japanese domestic market - I’m not stingy in the slightest.

Their Barbel and Allrounder look like they’re solid options though.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
The best Barbel rods in my opinion are Pike deadbait rods.

Can chuck out 10oz of weight no problem with the through action and not subject to the "Barbel tax"

I did buy Daiwa Powermesh barbel rods and to be fair I wish I just used my Pike rods, feel so much nicer 😀

Can get them in a good range of test curves too from 1.75 to 3.5lb

Lower test curves harder to find these days so probably best as floodwater barbel rods.

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Greys or Korum for me, both very good action and more than up to the task.

Arch

Site Supporter
If I actually caught any Barbel and I needed new rods, I'd go down the custom build route. I'd like something individual. Other than that, probably Daiwa Infinitys. The Korum ones look good value for money as well.

I bought my Greys Prodigys second hand and I've been very happy with the way they cast. LOL.

TrickyD

Site Supporter

squimp

Site Supporter
Buy some lightly used Harrison’s, ideally Chimera 3’s. 12ft 2.25lb.

pike deadbait rods are a clever suggestion. Some 2.5lb would be perfect.

Vince Smith

cheers guys
my local shop had 2 Korum 12ft 2lbt/c barbel rods at £53.99 and after considering your comments and the price I got those today.

(y)

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Not an out and out barbel rod, but will chuck a fair bit. Grauvell are well liked by sea anglers.
But they also went bust last year so you take a chance buying any Grauvell product that is left now.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
But they also went bust last year so you take a chance buying any Grauvell product that is left now.
Buying a korum rod is no different, I had a twin tip plus and wanted a spare butt section, couldn't get one,and that was over a year ago,.

pagie

Site Supporter
try Mal Storey at Halesowen he, I think still makes barbel rods twin tip severn/trent he may help you