Where you fished today (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

The start of a new thread, 'Where you fished today (Part 4)'.
Parts 1, 2, & 3 now add up to 380 posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, Page 6, Page 7

Part 2

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 3

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

So if you're new and have an hour or two spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please use the 'Cruncher' to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better [;)]

Dave

Last edited:

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
A Sunday to Forget!

Sunday 8th June,

I am enjoying fishing with Daz!

Like me, primarily a Rivers man, Daz also enjoys all types of fishing and is quite happy with the extra long sessions, early morning starts etc.

Similarly too, we both have medical conditions that mean we are not in top form always and he readily understands my occasional lapse into sleep at odd times! Just as I understand his late cancellations or acceptances, dependant on the good or bad days!

What I do find remarkable is his ready acceptance of the catalogue of disasters that I stumble into and his Dont Panic approach to handling them! If I was offered to fish with me! I think Id run a mile, but Darryl seems to help solve the problems without turning a hair

Today, I was really glad of his Company!

Thus, as I greeted him at 4.00 am and we set off to research our Bull river stretch, he assured me that it was No Problem when I explained that I had just had 2 bad nights and was feeling tired before we even started.

We discussed our finding and pre-baiting plans for the river and quickly arrived at the lane entrance to it.
This stretch has extremely difficult and long access as follows.
Firstly you turn down a lane and follow a gravel path for the length of a field.
You then come to a Pride of Derby locked access gate, which leads you through 2 more long fields and reach an S bend that takes you off the gravel path onto a meadow with extremely long grass, that is sometimes used by the Bulls.

Drive across the meadow, which terminates at a Railway Bridge and at the end contains a small car park, where it is advised you park your car, as according to the book To avoid damage to your car by Animals

I told you these damn Bulls were big!

However, as there was no sign of recent occupation, we parked beside the Railway and kitted up.

Because we intended to walk the whole stretch, we tried to travel as light as possible.
1 made up worm ledger rod each, chair, small bag with terminal kit, worms and a single landing net for Daz, a single umbrella for me.
I should also have taken my flask, but found that, having made it, I had managed to leave it at home, often expected, but the 1st time this year.
Luckily, I had a pint of flavoured milk in the car and Daz carries a flask of hot water, as he prefers to make fresh tea.
Finally, we donned full waterproof gear after our last experience with the weather here!

We still had a walk across two meadows to reach the start point and we were now in Bull Country!

Happily, they were not close today and looked somehow less awesome, maybe because we were now prepared!
Reaching the first stretch, we set up and started fishing.
It was comfortable in the chair and before long I could feel my eyes closing as no bites were keeping me alert

I fished and dozed until 8.30 and then we moved swims.
This time the Bulls spotted us and quickly posted sentries to avoid our escape after they had watched us scramble down the bank to 2 promising new swims.

Daz was having tiny indications almost continuously on the quiver and retrieving mangled worms each strike!

He persisted, trying smaller and smaller worms, until eventually he struck and caught what he described as The smallest chub I have ever seen
This actually pleased both of us as it meant the big chub were breeding OK, as the fish was too small to be a stocked one.

Trying again and from a similar bite, he then caught a small Brownie.

We were then hailed from above by another Angler, who stayed awhile, freely telling us where and how to fish and claiming that he had caught 5 fish that morning, 1 trout and 4 chub!
He left, to fish just upstream of us, but shortly afterwards called from just a few yards away and brandished a 2- lb chub in the air!
I suspect that worm was not his only bait, from the conversation we had!

Daz moved downstream and we again decided to move and cover more swims.

However, that depended on the Sentries, but after a few minutes of eyeball-to-eyeball contact and a lot of bad language, we plucked up the courage to crawl into the meadow and move downstream.

I am really keen to establish the barbell swims, but today I was very fatigued and we had travelled 3/4s of the way down the river.
Setting up my chair in a swim the other Angler had described as prolific, snaggy and named as the willows (Several willow trees line the opposite bank) I quickly cast a light bomb across the river.

It is the most unusual swim I had so far found!
Rather than go downstream, the current appears to back up on the far side, the bomb moves up along the far bank until it shortens and the main current grips.
It then swings in an arc in front of you, rolling down in a semicircle, until it rests in the slack beneath some bushes just below your feet!
Ideal for searching the swim, but unfortunately nothing fishy appeared to impede its progress.

Daz had another record!
This time it was the smallest trout he had seen and not hooked!
Simply bit the worm and hung on to it as he reeled in!
Determination like that should see it either quickly taken when full size, or go on to record proportions!

About 12.30 now, a light drizzle had been falling since 11.30 and the river was extremely coloured, more so than I have ever seen it.
This defeated our gravel finding attempts and we believe, put the fish off feeding.

Here have this
I awoke, sitting in a downpour, with Daz holding out a hot tea for me!
Ive been up to the end he explained and I found you asleep when I returned, even the damn rain didnt wake you
It was 3.30!!!

I was freezing and extremely grateful for the tea. The only dry thing left was the Umbrella in my rod bag!
We moved off the bank and discussed the state of the river.
Patently we needed a dry spell to lower the level and clear the water in order to truly find all swims, snags and features.
Also to catch fish!
However, we had a much better idea now of where the fish were caught and meeting the regular Angler (5 years of visits, he said) was a bonus!

As if the bad spirits had heard our conversation a savage wind blew up out of nowhere and the rain poured down in Torrents.
I lost yet another packet of cigarette papers to the wet as we stood stoically under the dripping trees waiting for the rain to ease.
Eventually it did and without further incident (other than a bit of nervous Bull braving) we made our way damply to the car.

I felt nervous on approaching the meadow, as the rain lay in huge puddles about us!
I had explained to Daz that my car was notorious for becoming stuck in mud, earlier, but we had decided to risk it, as the type of rain we had just experienced was simply not forecast,
However, we set off across the meadow ok, but I stopped just before the S bends of the gate and again expressed my fears.
Obviously, farm vehicles and animals squeeze through this area and the ground underfoot was much softer.

Youll be alright said Daz Just keep going at a steady pace

So I put the car in gear, steady as told and just before the gate entrance the wheels spun, the front dropped and the car became stuck fast!

We stood silently surveying the mud, nearly way up the wheel hubs as the situation slowly dawned.

We were 3 meadows up a lane with no name!
2 meadows away was a locked Gate, which we would have to walk down and unlock to allow access for any emergency van that we could raise, providing my mobile worked here.
It was after 5.00pm on a Sunday! So it was likely to be a long wait.
It was going to be costly!

Lets try and get it to grip I said, Fill up the wheel tracks with stones

For the next few minutes we packed stones and slates, picked from the fields, under the 2 front wheels.
Having taken off my boots to be able to drive, my shoes were now saturated and mud covered as were the bottom of my Jeans.
I didnt even notice until later.

Getting back in the car, I tried again.
Stone flew out, wheels skidded round and the car sank deeper into the mud!

Daz, still unruffled, but slightly annoyed, kindly blamed the farmer, the club and everyone else bar me. After recent friends comments, you can see why I like this man.
Ill go and find some wood said Daz, that ought to do it
He disappeared across the meadow to the right, aiming for the hedgerow.

Having been here before, I surveyed the wheels with growing despair and decided to delay the, to me, now inevitable HELP call until his return.
With nothing better to do, I decided to repack the wheels with stones and try 1 last time.
Agonisingly close to safety, I looked out of the car at the gravel path just 15 yards away through the gate!
Daz was nowhere in sight, so I breathed a prayer, started the engine and this time put her in reverse.
If I could only rock her and get her a bit of momentum!
Something told me to be vicious, so I revved the engine, dropped the clutch and she moved back a fraction!

Then I fumbled the gear change!
She dropped back sullenly and in a rage of frustration, I hit reverse again and screamed the engine! She rose almost startled and I hammered her into 1st,
With a lurch she shot forward, narrowly missing the gate and I wrenched the wheel around aiming for the corner.
She shot sideways through and dropped back in the mud, Stuck again, BUT we were through the gate!
Daz returned with wood and a large circular metal bin top.
Amazed to see I had got her out, he joined my wheel packing efforts, using wood, as we were both confident now.
This was far less deep and frightening than previously and so it proved.
At the 1st attempt, my poor car managed to reach the safety of the gravel path.
On the drive home, rain and puddles washed most of the mud away, but she still looked like this in the morning.

Imagine the state at the time.
Incidentally, I had the drivers window open and I must get the mud off the interior roof before I go to Ireland

So did we then drive home?
No, sterner stuff than that for Daz and I! (Unfortunately LOL)

We had planned to go to Grimleys Lake and spin for the Pike I had been successful with earlier this week and now we saw no reason not to complete the day.
So, stopping briefly for me to get a bite to eat (1st today and quickly lost!) we made our way to Grimleys!

Donning full waterproofs again and inserting my wet feet into my wet Wellingtons (awful feeling) I again emptied out my small bag in order to travel light.
Pike specimen landing net, Spinning rod and small bag with lure box.
Oh! And I needed the lure that had caught the 2 Pike on Friday.
Forceps, trace spares (Daz here kindly gave me 1 of his wire/braid mixed specials that we had just discussed on the forum)
Then 2 more lures (inc. a buzzbait that I have no faith in, but promised Newt I would try)
All 3 proved to be too big to go in my lure box!

So, I dropped them in the bag and watched exasperatedly as the catching lure (the one I most wanted) rolled perversely into the corner of the bag and set the centre treble into the material.
I tried to free it by hand but it was obdurately stuck fast!

So I grabbed the centre oh the hook with the forceps, gave it a sharp twist and pulled.
It came away and buried the tail hook up to the shank in the soft base of my left thumb, which was holding the bag open!

Ouch!!

Desperately trying to keep calm I turned to Daz and said Err I need some help here mate, Ive just set this hook deep in my hand, can you get it out with your forceps?

He rose to the occasion well!
Despite going a bit white, he got out his forceps and clamped them on the hook!
God that hurt!

This is going to hurt he said needlessly, Just press down against the barb I said

A quick jerk and it popped out and surprisingly; there was very little pain then, much more when the forceps went on!
That saved a hospital visit he grinned, Youd never have done it on your own

I wouldnt even have attempted it on my own!!! It is a size 4 Treble!

So we went home!

Did we hell, not after all that!
Sticking a small piece of plaster over the hole that was leaking blood all over the place, we joked that it should attract the Pike and set off for the lake.
Oh how I wish I could drive to all the pegs of my fishing trips!

We spun for over an hour on the lake and I tried my 3 lures, including the buzzbait, but to no avail.
Another guy wandered in and we got chatting and I told him of my success earlier, pointed out the swims I had caught them from, discussed other waters with him and where we had been.
When he said goodbye, he thanked me profusely and said he wished everyone were open in the club.

I could not believe how, after the earlier storm, the evening had turned out so placid, but the sun shone down, the wind ceased and it became a typical summers evening.
However, the cold influx of rain and the colour of the water seemed to have put the fish down!

I called to Darryl that I had had enough and would wait at the car, but he joined me along the path.
He was a bit unhappy, but his news bodes well for the future!
Unlike me, he had had a take, but a really vicious one, almost head on to his favourite lure.
He showed me where the fish had hit and stripped off all the paint from the shoulder of the lure to just short of the 1st treble and therefore safe from the hooks!
It was a mess and his conversation as we divested our needless weatherproof clothes was of paint and yacht varnish to restore his favourite

I would have understood if, after todays saga Daz had declined any more fishing with me! but as we got to his house, he decided that on Wednesday (the only day we shared free) he would show me the way he uses the method on Pride Lake!
Car behind the peg! Pike rod out to the side! Fantastic!
I really look forward to that!

As I drove home, approaching 9.00 pm, I pondered over the disastrous day!

I had met a guy who gave us freely information on the river we are going to target in the season.
I had met another who had been grateful for what I could offer.
I had spent 15 hours in good company by water and I had more to come.
I had found someone I could rely on for help in these little emergencies that I seem to attract!

Hey! That wasnt a bad day!

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 10 June 2002 4:06:24 PM

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello

bad luck trev, but its these bad days that make us really appreciate the good ones. enjoyed the report very much anyway, thank you

ADAM

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Heck of a day for sure Trev. Sounds like you had some serious fun there fella.
Playing in the mud, messing with bulls, staying out in the rain. Every Boy's dream and most of us are just boys in older shells.

Man - if you think you don't have confidence in the buzz bait, wait till you see a couple of odd lures I threw in with your shipment.

Seriously - I have taken fish on all that you have to use and even the soft plastics you have never tried. With some (like the buzz bait) it is a matter of if the fish want it or not. When they do, super lure. When they don't, simply some exercise for the wrist.

Note for Daz - I have never noticed that tooth marks and missing paint do much to harm a lure. Repaint if it pleases you (since confidence is so much a part of it all) but only if it pleases you since I really don't think the pike give a fig one way or the other. I doubt they get that clear a look at a lure most times and only see the general shape and flashes of color. If you do repaint though, strip the entire thing else you will do some interesting things with the unbalanced weight of paint on it and the action will change.

BTW - as an old country boy let me say that unless all your "bulls" are very young or have been de-bulled (call em steers over here when their stones are removed) then they ain't bulls. Unless the farmer is shooting them up with happy juice regularly so they won't be combative.

Newt Vail

MALC

Dai,
Nice report and it's great when you get them off the top.

Trev,
Great read and you and Darrly seem to be getting the better of your slight mishaps.

Glad to see you got the better of the Bullocks this time.
Keep them coming.

My report.
Date : 9/06/02
Venue : Barby Banks nr Rugby
Time : 8am till 3pm

Sunday was a Lime Tree club match but as i've not got the full results i'll only post here rather than in the match results forum.

30+ turned out today at The Banks which is a local fishery shaped like a snake with average widths of 12 to 13mtr along the straight and slightly less in the Island swims which is where we were pegged.

The Island pegs look nice with Lilleys and Reeds in almost every peg along with channels and bridges which all form fish holding features.

I drew peg 28 which is on whats known as Suicide Straight and it's the one section (about 9 pegs) which in my opinion are the worst pegs on the venue and one's which i've never managed to get more than 5lb from in a match.

This picture is from above the first peg on Suicide Straight towards the last peg. It was taken the day before my match

Peg 28 is about half way along this section and looks a brilliant swim with lilley pads to the right and a big lilley bed in the middle of a channel at 10 mtrs and just screams fish.
But a down side to the swim is that you are looking directly at 2 of the best pegs on the venue which are up the channel.

This is a view of my peg (also taken the day before) as i say it just Screams fish.

The reason the pictures are from the day before the match is that it started pouring down at the draw and i left the camera in the car to keep it dry.

Well with the swim looking so fishy you'll be expecting me to say how i bagged up!!

But in true Malc style it was no bagging session.
As i've said it started raining at the draw and continued to rain for at least 90% of the day.

As the depth was the same in all area's of the peg (about 3ft) i set 3 rigs to cover everything which was a Paste rig to the Lillies in front, Meat rig to the Lillies to the right, and a Pellet rig for the open water to the left.

All rigs were set up on 0.14 line and fished on 4x12 floats with only the hook type and size being different on each rig.

The only bait that produced fish was Paste (homemade Mussel flavoured)
fished over pellets.

Result was 1 Carp about 7lb, 2 Carp about 1lb each and a little Crucian about 4oz for a total weight of 9lb 1oz.

Unsure of where i finished in the match as the match Sec was so cheesed off with being soaked through that he went straight home and the results will be issued next Sunday (at our match on The Riddings).

A final note though for those that are interested Dirk fished and managed to weigh in 20lbplus and came in the top 3 and yes he got his 1 back to help fund his Trial.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com and take s from Dirk

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dai,
Nice report,carp+floating baits=Great fun

Trev,
I'm beginning to think that your trying to psych Geoff and I out ahead of the 5th.

Daz
well done mate,i'm not sure he should be allowed out on his own

Malc,Keep it up mate,i think it's what they call character building

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done on your catches all.

Peter we'll be OK as long as Trev doesn't bring his pet bullocks with him.

I am bringing the super glue to make sure the bung in the punt is secure.

Catch you all later.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Geoff - not to worry. Water all round acts on the curse like garlic on a vampire. It will stay on land and not trouble you once you get the boat launched.

However, for safety you might wish to consider launching the boat with Trev on shore and attached to a line. When you are safely afloat, pull him out to the boat. Guarenteed no problems that way.

Newt Vail

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Newt.

I have still taken out extra insurance just in case. I don't think we ought to pull Trev through the water because I believe he has got wet enough lately.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nice stuff MALC, Thanks
Got some interesting things from my new PAD club over bait mixes etc. will E-Mail you with them, when I have chance to put them in order!

Pete, Geoff Newt! LOL,Hell you should worry!
That hook in the hand HURT! LOL, but only for a minute!
and thankfully Daz suffered no injury!

Well I think I'll have to organise a fish-in at this new club waters!
Got the go-ahead for a weekend tba , bivvies on site, 20 Trent Pegs producing a cracking range of fish including Barbel 10lb + chub 5lb + Carp, Pike, Perch 3lb +
Toilet on site!
All pegs suitable wooden platforms with parking behind and a lake on site as well!
and less price per weekend than Semer is for the day!
Plus Keepnets! a match for us to organise each day and so all we need is weather!
Will post it in Fish-ins on my return from Ireland, but any suggestions over dates, please let me know!
Venue, a few miles off Junction 24 M1 just south of Derby, slap bang in the middle of England.

Trev

Ziptrev

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
You can count me in Trev not Aug bank holiday weekend lol

The hook in the hand was nasty Trev but it could have been worse it could have been my hand lol

Dai Fish

Edited by - Dai Fish on 10 June 2002 11:36:04 PM

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Trev count me in for the trent and thats NO BULL

teepee.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
LOL Dai, youll love the pegs, but with your current catch rate!
Well have a quiet day!
Teepee, you have to be there to bring the camera!
BTW Tony, you have no E-Mail address on your profile!
Hit me with one please!

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev

darryl

trev you know you can count me in i just love that river any date`s

work`s for them who can`t fish

MALC

Date : 11/6/02
Venue: Gilmorton match pool
Time : 4.30pm till 9.30pm

This afternoon i fished the match pool at Gilmorton to try out a different flavour of Pellet n Paste that i'm playing with and i also took along a new MaggotDrowner who i'll just call RED and he now want's to tag along with me every where i go.

So no dought in the future you may meet him in person at some of the fish-ins.

He did not fish but just came along to watch and see what fishing is all about.

AND HERE IS THE NEWEST RECRUIT TO MAGGOTDROWNING.COM

Anyway on to the fishing.
I've been playing with a new flavour of paste and also playing with the same flavour soaked into my feed pellets but it's taken ages to get the dosage right as it's either been to strong and repelled the fish or it's been to weak and they just ain't noticed it.

But this evenning things started to go right and i caught a handfull of fish (well 27 actually).

The swim i sat on had 5ft of water at 6mtr falling to 5ft at 7mtr so i settled on fishing the slight slop at 6mtr with flavoured 2mm,4mm & 6mm pellet as loose feed and the new flavoured paste as hookbait.

I set up 1 rig to fish at dead depth with 0.14 line to a size 14 Mustard Hook with a 2grm float to 16 lacy for big lumps of paste.

And the other rig was on the same line but to a smaller size 14 Animal Hook with a .70gr float to fish 4 inches over depth on a 14 lacy for small pea sized piece's of paste.

From the first put in on the light rig i got knocks and after about 10 mins took my first fish A GUDGEON and this continued for awhile till i caught a couple more Gudgeon.

Time for the heavy rig and see if the gudgeon would leave that alone.
After five mins and 3 or 4 put ins the first bite on a big lump of paste produced the Carp below all 7lb of it and it's almost a Leather just the single row of scale's below the dorsal.

3 more Carp were foul hooked on the heavy rig and all lost.
Ended up with 15 Gudgeon, 4 Roach about 3oz each and 8 Carp the best being the one in the picture the rest all around the lb mark.

All the fish were caught on the paste as it was the only hookbait i used and i think i'm nearly there with the flavour dosage's and it's nice to know that it will also pick up the other fish aswell as the Carp so there is another area to play around with, (the small fish).

Malc

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Great stuff MALC
another bait winner.
BUT is that a mascot, or a voodoo doll from Martin or Teepee lol

You have E-Mail

Cya

Trev

Ziptrev

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Malc like your new friend [and i thought i was daft] lol.
have you made him out of the new paste you had left,[toxic red]
and i wonder how long it will be before old toxic red is taking a pound off you.[lol]

teepee.

MALC

Trev n Tony

Date :12/6/02
Venue:Drayton Reservoir
Time :11am till 4pm

This morning young RED and myself loaded the car up to fish with the Rugby Disabled lads down at that great bagging water Drayton
(except when i'm there).

We set off with high hope's of a good day bagging as i'd heard that a 300lb bag was needed to win a match there over the weekend and as there was no wind as we left thing's were looking good.

We were on pegs 35 to 46, yes the informous same pegs as we had on the fish-in.
While sorting out the draw, surprise surprise the wind started to blow straight into the Dam (i think thats the only way it doe's blow).

Anyway Red chose to sit this one out and sat in the comfort of the car whilst i drew peg 46.
After helping a couple of the lads with their gear to their pegs and having the normal chat as i walked along i got my gear sorted and started fishing at about 11.30am.

First out on the feeder whilst trickling pellets on the inside.
After nothing happening for the first hour i thought it was time to drop in the Paste on the inside and see if they were there yet NOTHING.

So back out with the feeder and thats how it went (feeder / inside) till 3.15 when Dirk turned up (he was not fishing today) (so the 1 was safe).

He'd turned up so he could have a play around with some tactics he needs to brush up on for his Trials next week.

So he sat behind me giveing me ear ache as to the fact that i'd not yet had a bite when bang the rod belts round and fish on but in typicle Malc style when at Drayton i lost it (i always pull out of the first fish there).

So back out went the feeder and within 5 mins bang fish on, this time it was in the net (cheers Dirk why did you not turn up sooner).
With 5 mins left the rod belts round again and that was the end 2 fish in the net for a total weight of 13lb 4oz.

Dirk and my self stayed on for a few hours playing as i said with a few thing's for next week but it was as he was leaving that something realy BAD happend and i just managed to catch it on the camera.
It was so BAD that even now i dont feel quit right.

I've put the picture at the end of this post and i must say that i'm a bit concerned in case any younger member's see it and are shocked that such a thing could happen in this country i'll leave you to judge for yourself's as to how BAD the occurance was !!!

DIRK KIDNAPPED RED

Malc

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
SHOCK, HORROR!!!!

I can't believe it, NO - NOT RED !!

Call out the army
we've got to get him back for all our sakes.

Leave no stone unturned until we find him.

Dave, lol

Stu Dav

Davi
This is to all

My head is full of fishing magic now
and verging on overload.
A few big werds aswell,that nearly had me finking .
All good stuff,that snake canal where ever it is looks brill and sound cheap.
An can feel a song coming on so its time I was gone
da da da da da da da da da bum bum I thankyou :0)

Goodnight

Stu Dav.

Status
Not open for further replies.