Where you fished today (Part 17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

susie Q

' Nora '
Tuesday 20th April, Venue, Leeds and Liverpool canal, Saltaire.

Where I fished today

Dave and I went for a short session on the local canal, as it was such a nice day and we still had bait left from yesterday.
we both fished on the pole. I found a rig already set up from last visit with size 20 hook and I put a red (scopex) maggot on and I'm in first.
I fed the line with tiny koi swimstim feed pellets.

Dave had to re do a rig and re plumb.
Within minutes I was into one, an Ide. Dave landed it for me.
Next put in produced a decent skimmer, I got told I was on my own with this one (jealous or what). [;)]

This one was closely followed by a little Roach. Thought I was in for a "bag up" session [:0][:0] but it was not to be.

Two boats came through the locks, the wind swung round from the East
creating a cold upstream wind making presentation difficult. From then on the canal had a permanent "tow". All (my) bites dried up.
Meanwhile Dave still hadn't had a bite!!!
We stayed for another hour or so, 3 - 0, 3 - 0 !!! I was singing to myself.[:p][:p][:p][8D]

My three

I'd lent Dave a spare keep net and he brought it home "DRY" LOL [8D][:D]

cyanide sue.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Yes you wouldn't need your wheelchair they have motorised ones Dave......LOL Thanks again you two and yes Suzzie I ADMIT YOU ARE THE BETTER ANGLER OF US THREE.

Compo the true Angler.
No poles for me.

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
I went fishing on Yateley Split lake this weekend.
When I turned up at the lake there were about 20 big carp, including a large light-orange one known to be around 31lb, swimming around in one unfishable corner. It certainly whetted my appetite [:)]

I caught 4 or 5 tench on friday night, up to about 4.5lb. They were all pretty battle-scarred except for a lovely female of about 2.5 lbs that was quite perfect.

Saturday was slow, very slow. It was colder than expected on friday night so maybe that put the fish off. A lovely day for lying in the sun on a bivvy bed though. Next door was the famous Car Park lake. All of it's huge carp (only about 9 in there I think, smallest about 36lb, two going over 50lb) could be seen swimming around in one corner, only yards from the bank. Backs out of the water in the sunshine without a care in the world.

Saturday night saw a tench of around 6.5lb coming to visit my unhooking mat, but otherwise no action apart from a screamer that didn't yield a fish.

Sunday morning started well. Around 6AM I hooked a lovely looking common that I guess would have gone mid-double. As I turned away to put down my rod after netting, the fish did a few acrobatic flips and swam away to a tirade of curses from your truly.

Well that was it, I had had enough. I decided I would give it another couple of hours before slowly packing up, so I could get home to work on the garden by lunchtime. Sod this fishing lark.

About an hour later, at 7AM, the bite alarm went off. I struck into something solid. It was a strange sort of fight, not much tugging and thrashing, but there was something heading towards the marginal snags to my right that didn't want to follow where I was directing it. It felt almost like dragging a sack of spuds through the mud.
I couldn't pump the rod as there was such a strong constant pressure against me, that I would have given the fish too much of an opening to reach the snag. I just pulled, and wound in very slowly.

I only just managed to steer the fish to my side of the snag as it reached the bank. Realising it's cunning plan had failed, it headed off toward the middle of the lake. With the immediate danger gone. I could then pump the rod and shortly afterwards I had a nice looking mirror in the net. As it went in the net I thought it must be around twenty pounds. I took the handle off the net and lifted the fish from the water, and when I felt the weight I realised I had underestimated.
Peeling back the net had me grinning like a cheshire cat. There lay a stonking mirror that I though could well be a PB. She went 26lb 6oz, beating my previous PB bu a couple of pounds. It's a shame no one came to investigate so I could ask them to take photos, or I would have had one from various angles to show the big pot belly and thick-set shoulders. The previous PB had been maybe a little longer, though not as solidly thick.

I went to get a mess-tin full of water to douse the fish before taking a photo (self-timer and on a bank-stick), leaving the fish on the mat with the weigh sling over it's head. The tin was next to my bivvy so it was only going to take 3 or 4 seconds to get it. Slap, slap, thud thud, the fish was off down the 3 foot gradual incline toward the water. No way was I going to let this one go without a pic, so two leaps and I landed in the water. I caught the fish as it was half submerged in the lake and held onto it like Rollerball Rocco doing a half-nelson. It new it was nearly free, and tried it's damnedest to flap me to death.

Well I won that scrap, and got my photo. If it wasn't for the ugly mug holding the fish and the radio mast in the background it would have been quite a snapshot.
What a nice weekend

Br
Jason

Last edited:

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
OI!
And you can change my bloody nick-name back as well you rotten sods!

PS Norm - see, I'm smiling in the pic [:)]

Br
Jason

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cracking fish Jason.
Nice One.

Peter.

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by NoFinPhish

OI!
And you can change my bloody nick-name back as well you rotten sods!
Apparently your nickname will get changed back on the 30th April. [;)]
Damn those Admin blokes.[:D][:p]

Nice fish anyways mate. Very nice fish. Could have done with one of them myself today.

If you like my Sig Pic Click Here.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Lovely fish Jason, well done.

As for the nickname, don't worry you may be his bag carrier but you are out-fishing him.

AlanP

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
nice one Jason, thats a cracking fish, why is it there is no one around when you need them, has for the smile looks more like a smug grin lol

teepee.

Status
Not open for further replies.