G

Dave i'l not mention about the big pansy that was fishing with us LoL

Sea angling roolz
Andy, aka Toma

HomePage

CaptainCarp

Easter Monday
Holme Grange Resivoir

My uncle picked me up at about 6 to set off to Holme Grange resivoir in crowthorne. We had bought our tickets a day in advance so we were staright on to the bank and ready to fish. I was using 2 rods. One with a method feeder and then hair rigged boilie and the other was a float rod with red maggot on the end. The day went well with bites every minute from little skimmers to 1lbs roach. On my carp rod i had 3 carp the biggest at 7lbs and then as the evening went on until about 7:30 i decided to free line and go for the carp that were surfacing. By 8 i had another 2 mirror carp the biggest of 6lbs. so a enjoyable spring day with plenty of fish and the weather was great too.

SAM

peter9000uk

You should have tried pellet up in the water. BTW there are no bream/skimmers in there

pete

j_s

A bit of a late report but I thought I would still post it.

2 weeks ago tomorrow.

Went to fish Badshot Lea small pond (part of Farnham AS) with my brother, Badshot Lea small is a match water that has pike,roach,bream,carp,perch and some others while the big pond has carp in the 30s, cats to 40 odd lb, pike in the 20s, large grass carp to 28lb, kois, large roach and also bream to 12 lb or so.

The sun was poking through but the wind was starting to really blow.
We got there and I help my brother set up his new feeder rod with a maggot feeder. He cast out and sat there keeping an eye on the quiver tip while I set up my JW avon rod with a waggler. I cast out about 3 metres in front of a bush on the bank using a single caster on a size 18 and within 30 seconds I caught this nice looking common

I loose fed a few red maggots and casters before hand

I then carried on with the waggler but the waves started getting a bit higher so I switched over the a cage feeder with a cocktail of corn and a red maggot. Got 1 touch most likely a line bite in the next 3 hours, my brother had a few touches and missed a bite, it was his first time using a quiver tip though.

I wanted him to at least get a fish that day so we moved to another one of Farnham's waters up the road which was a lot more secluded and sheltered. This pool has rudd,roach,perch,crucians,tench and a couple of 12 lb mirrors that are very difficult to catch since they chopped back all the bank vegetation [:(]
I used my JW rod and fished on the bottom with a waggler, my brother persisted with a maggot feeder as some others there who were packing up also had used and had caught. I had tons of bites from fry who were making almost impossible to detect proper bites as the float was bouncing every where. I ended up with 3 rudd (I think see my thread on is this is a rudd)

My brother switched to a waggler and I showed him how to set it up properly, he had the same problem with the fry. He ended up with a blank though which made me feel bad but I will rectify this over the coming months.

James

Last edited:

Ruddy Roach

Looks like a hybrid because of the upturned mouth and silver scales.

Anyway,

now for my post;

Yesterday me and my uncle went to a place called toad hole. (a permit water).

It had been p***i*g it down all day. And it didn't stop throughout. Anyway. We go our brollies out and got on the sheltered side of the pond. As we where setting up, 2 pole fishermen where getting LOADS of bites, and loads of fish. One of them hooked into a carp (I presume) and was playing it for about 30mins!!! When it was almost ready to be netted... he lost it!!!

Meanwhile...

Me and my uncle had been setting up and throwing some maggots in. I float-fished with a drennan insert puddle chucker about 2 inch over depth. I hooked into a perch almost immediately but my reel went onto reverse spool!!! :( So I was messing around with that trying to get it onto the clutch for ages which was when I lost the fish! I got my real onto the clutch and carried on fishing...

Later through the day I had plenty of fish including;

Skimmers, Breem- (a new p.b), roach, Roach-Breem hybrid, Perch (I had it on!), gudgeon.

My uncle and his mate where fishing on the surface with caster for rudd and they where going CrAzY!!! And he was getting lightening fast bites, which he did well to hit! The fish where in a frenzy and he got a mint rudd of about 1lb.

So we all had a good day and I can't wait to go again!

Andy

Bricktop

Snap
I blanked today. Didn't get a sniff of a bite. Whats worse is I'm fishing a match on the same venue tomorrow. hmmmmm. Not good.

Fisky

Willows open at York (as usual!)

Drew on the lake I didnt want to be on, ridge pool peg 2, but still had an ok peg.
The peg was interesting as it involved an island with reeds and grasses at 14m, and to me left a peninsula running about 8m out into the lake, with boards on.

There was a heavy influx of cold rain the night before, and this usually puts the fish at the willows off.

And so it proved. The first hour was spent on pellet or corn across to the island, and i managed just a few small silver fish. I started fishing to this gap to in the island about 15m angled to my left, and started getting the odd 3-4oz stock carp. Then hooked something more substantial, and a 2lb mirror was soon in the net.

Bites stopped, so i re-fed, and switched to my 2 lines on the peninsula boards. I had been told there were a lot of barbel against the boards. I managed one, about 14oz, and then another similar sized one, before I lost one that found a snag. So I stepped up elastic, and moved back over to the island. Could only get small 1oz roach, (which arent really worth fishing for on a commercial spring match) on most of my lines, apart from the one in the gap.

Soon after, whilst carefully edging the float up to some grass, 14 elastic shoots back towards me. Something had taken the bait as i was positioning it, and hooked itself. I shipped quickly back, but it had shot left at a rate of about 20 knots, and charged through the gap between the peninsula and the island. Now unfortunately some idiot had very un-conveniently placed an aerator in this gap! 15 foot of elastic was out and under this aerator. The fish swirled THE OTHER side of the aerator, which was now swaying and moving! I did get it to come back a little way towards me, but it did me under the aerator.

Anyway, wasnt really going anywhere with 3 hours gone, but switching back to the boards of the peninsuala, I started to catch barbel quickly. They would come in spurts, before I had to switch lines. Anyway this continued, with the odd chub mixed up in with the barbel, and even a 2.5lb bream which came from nowhere! 2 late forrays back to the island produced a couple of stockies,another 2lb mirror and a decent chub.

I weighed in 26lb 8oz........ 20lb of this was made up of barbel. I won my section pegs 1-12, and came 5th overall. It was quite a difficult day 36lb won, and 2nd was 35lb off my lake. I was 2nd on my lake.

tholdsworth

we had a club match at bradshaw bolton.cold raining windy.had 1 carp at 14m 8ft deep thats in 3hrs on cat meat.last 2hrs fished at 9m on meat had 10 carp for 25lbs 8oz got my section. TONY.H

mma

Ben,

Don't be organising the next match for MD's at the Willows you are becoming too consistent there.

Framed 3 weeks running ?

I bet you can draw better than Rolf Harris.

Pools Fodda

Bricktop

Snap
Fished a local club match at Island lodge, Tottington today. Came third in section third overall. Was nudged out of second spot by 4oz, with 1lb difference between top 3. For my first attempt on the water, I guess things went ok.

The quarry was skimmers, roach and perch, with biggest weight being 7lb, 2nd weight being 6,6,0 and my weight 6,2,0. I had one bonus slab which took me up there, otherwise I'd have had a torrid day.

Got the bug for the match fishing lark though. Brilliant day!

j_s

Fished a pond yesterday in the sodding cold wind/rain. Trying out my new fox warrior 2.5 lb t/c rod with Okuma Interceptor. I've never used a baitrunner setup before, nor an alarm/bite indicator and it showed [:D] I used a fox mini method in-line feeder and mixed up some method mix with some fishmeal groundbait and some corn and used the new boilies in a can - halibut crunch. I had about 5 bites on this setup but upon striking I only felt 1 fish on the line which then came off immediately. I expect i'm doing something wrong but some more practice should hopefully sort me out.
I also had a waggler setup and caught roach and gudgeon all day, mostlt tiddlers on maggots that I added some tumeric to but had a few nicer looking roach - only up to 6-8 ounces but I enjoyed it. Had a good sized gudgeon as well. Wish my camera hadn't run out of batteries just as I was going to take a pic of a roach for the fishing race otherwise I would have had 6 more points, possible 9 as there may have been some small skimmers among my catch.

James

Neo-1

Nick Neo Williams
Hi James,

Just a thought, but did you disengage the bait-ruuner before striking. ? To do that either flick the switch back or wind the handle forward. Also before striking wind down to the fish to remove slack/bow from line so you get a good strong hook hold.

Nick

Nick STOP FISHING MAN You can't catch em all in one go mate.

For detailed venue info for wales visit http://www.fish4wales.com

j_s

Yes Nick I did turn the baitrunner off by winding down first, I have read of birds nests appearing if you don't [:D]. It could have been I didn't wind down enough to get rid of the slack line.

Thanks for the tips [:)]

Oh, I forgot to mention in my report, the pike were in a feeding frenzy on the pond. They were all round my swim and at the end of the session I saw the float dip and i struck but nothing was there and on further inspection i had no hook, the line was bitten obviously by a pike that got whatever I hooked into - talk about quick!
the guys next to me caught, what I estimate to be around 8 or 9 lb, pike on a boilie - I know they go for the fishy flavoured ones now and again but have never seen it [:)]

James

Last edited:

chris grant

19TH April - Hazel Court, South Wales.

I arrived at the fishery at around 10am, apparently there had been a slight frost overnight that coupled with the cold water from Saturday nights downpour meant that I was not optimistic of a record breaking day.

I started off fishing the feeder to the far bank on hair rigged pellet.

I was hoping to catch up the margins and at 10 metres on the pole, But all the time I spent on the pole was totally unproductive apart from a 2lb tench towards the end.

I tried catmeat, corn, meat to no avail it became obvious the fish wanted pellet - all my fish were caught on hair rigged pellet on the feeder chucked to the island.

I had 14 carp and 2 tench and lost 3 which I think were foulhooked.

The fishing was rather slow for me - I like to be getting bites more regularly but at this venue it seems you have to sit and wait and eventually the tip will pull round.

The bites when they came were savage and all the fish were real lumps so I suppoose it was a good day allin all and I did enjoy honing my skills of chucking a feeder to a distant feature - the art of accurate casting goes with all the time spent on the pole so a day well spent.

Johnny_macu

hi im new to this site and thought id post my recent fishing trip to barby mill pools in rugby. It was a nite stay and then fishing all the next day. Sport was awful to say the least in 24hrs i had one bite which i connected with but it slipped the hook. The weather was terrible with my bivvy ending up in the bushes. Oh well of to clifton lakes in rugby for another all nite stop see if i can fair a little better

jon

tight lines :D

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
[:D] Monday 8.30am venue Stillingfleet. Here to meet Dave and Suzzie. 9.00am they arrive, traffic problems. We go down to the lake and select our pegs. Suzzie helps Dave as he is getting a bit past it.......as you can see by the grey hair and the wheelchair.

The weather improved as the day went on and so did the fishing, especially Suzzie's A nice succession of Tench were being pulled in along with silver fish. I was catching constantly but only small stuff apart from a Tench and a couple of larger Rudd.
Cleggy was catching regularly on the pole.
7.30pm we called it a day and weighed in.
Suzzie 0lb onz. Dave lost her fish while trying to weigh them himself.
My weight 5lb 14onz. I was happy with that in 2' of water and a waggler.
Dave 5lb 10onz oh dear he said I have a hole in my net. He had.
TOUGH it is the weight that wins the match. One to me.
On a serous note I would like to thank Dave and Suzzie for letting me go with them and for getting my bait for me. They realy are what MD is all about friends to fish and have a laugh with. thanks again folks.

Compo the true Angler.
No poles for me.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
In answer to Haydn's post.

19th April. Venue, Stillingfleet,(just north of Cawood),Nth Yorks.

Met Haydon at about 09.00 in the car park at Orchard Farm, he was sat patiently waiting..............well he couldn't start fishing.............as he went without taking.... ANY BAIT.!!!!

Pegs chosen, away we went, Haydn straight into 'em, 2.5 inch Roach and carried on most of the day with "quality" bits.

Sue was in before me and had her first Tench on "chopped lobworm" on a 16 hook.
She carried on getting these fish quite regular on bits of chopped lob, fished over marine halibut feed pellets.
Sue's tally for the day, 12 Tench (smallish), 1 Ide,couple of Rudd,couple of Roach.

I started on "soft hookers", first put in.....Tench.
Thought I was onto a good start, but it was not to be, when 3 and 4 inch Rudd are taking your pellet on a size 12 hook (6mm pellet),greedy little B's.
Another few Tench came to luncheon meat(pellet size).
In the afternoon a shoal of larger Rudd moved in, and I managed to hold the shoal for a good hours sport on slow sinking pellet.

We needed to photograph a Tench each (for the fish race)
One of Sue's Tench

One of mine

The weather turned out really good after a damp and threatening start.
A nice little pond set up at Stillington, well worth another visit when the fish "grow up a bit", it does have a good head of Tench, and we heard that there are some big ones.

Haydn spotted a "cruising Carp" and thought he would do a bit of "stalking", to see if he could catch it.
Well after hours of "preparation" including camouflage "face paint"
(which did suit him) the camera "caught him in action".

Upon trying to weigh Sue's catch I'm tipping the net up in the water to bring the fish gently to top of the keepnet, whilst Sue was holding the weigh net and I got hold of the wrong end of the top ring and dropped over half of her catch back into the water.[:I][:0][:I][:0][B)]
I had her net in my hands and "estimated" it to be a good 10lbs.

I then weighed Haydn's catch, he thought he had about 4.5lbs............I should have let him have 4.5lbs.
He actually had 5lb.14oz ![:0]

On retrieving my net from the water I was sorely disappointed (to say the least)[:0][:0][:0] I had more than that !!
On weighing, I only had 5lb.10oz......."I must have a hole in my net"[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(] Of course Haydn shouted "ONE TO ME" !!![:(!][:(!]

When hanging my net up to dry we found a "lovely 2inch diameter hole right at the bottom"[:(][:(][:(]LOL.

To quote Peter's Signature,

You can't weigh it in
if it's not in your net !

All in all a lovely "day out", I'll get you at "playtime" Haydn. LOL

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Gazhilla

Pasted to Death
Redwell Fishery 19th April 2004
Got there before my mate about 4p.m. and began setting up. Craig arrived about 25 minures later and we were ifhing by half past, him on a small waggler and me on the pole at 9 metres where on the peg in question there is a small depression. makes a big difference in 2' of water. Started off with caster on an 18 to 1.5lb hooklength and straight away into silvers, roach, skimmers and rudd. Craig was catching steady on the rod, same small stuff. After about an hour we had had about 30 fish each and i decided to try some corn niblets, green giant of course....
Started to catch better roach and rudd and skimmers up to a pound but having problems hitting the bites due to too small a hook. decided to up the ante and put power top two on pole and 4lb main to 3.5lb bottom to a 14 hook. bites slowed for 10 minutes and began to bounce some smaller fish off, probably due to 12 elastic. All of a sudden 4 ft of elastic streams out and something bigger had hit the hook, 5 mins of playing and a nice 5-6lb bream had hit the net. Craig meanwhile had a steady stream of skimmers, a fish a chuck on caster. Continued on the corn for another half hour and went back on the light stuff with caster on the hook. Straight back into a fish a chuck until it went too dark to see the floats, great evening session.
Best thing of all, hearing the bailiff tell Craig that she had told me to fish another peg as it was producing whilst telling him she had caught three fish and whilst doing so managing to pull out three 1lb roach in as many minutes....
Priceless.
Gary

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice reports all.[:)]

David,
You didn't get your net from DIRK did you? [:p][}:)][;)]

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

susie Q

' Nora '
Well what can I say, Stillingfleet will be one to remember LOL
Even though I didn't "weigh" 'cos Dave used "slight of hand" on my net and my catch vanished back in the water.[:0]
It was the most Tench I'd EVER caught in one session.

Haydn even though you "won" by default, I STILL WHOOPED YO' 'ASS!!! [:D][:p][}:)]

A view of the pond.

one I took of "compo" and "cleggy" (without the wheelchair)LOL.

As Dave said a lovely day!!

cyanide sue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.