Where you fished today (Part 17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_s

I went to Moor Farm in Petworth (West Sussex) on Sunday for some back-to-basics waggler tuition. I emailed the coach of Pulborough AS and he said I could come down and he would show me a nice sensitive set up for crucians.
I got there just before 10am and met the coach and went about catching some fish. A bit of a cold wind coming from behind us.

It was pretty much a bite a chuck with lots of small roach and rudd all on maggots with little and often feeding approach. Tried corn but had no interest whatsoever on this and then tried some hookable pellets and caught a much nicer 7oz roach on the first cast with it but then nothing again. Went back to maggots but put a size 16 hook on and opted for double maggot. The littluns still came in but it didn't bother me as my rig was super sensitive and this was what I wanted.
I moved to the left of my swim by some reeds and fished in front of them. More small roach but then the float dipped and something slightly better was on the end. It darted around and I brought it over to the keepnet and low and behold it was what I was after an 8 oz crucian.

I thought I would get some more crucians but unfortunately not. I continued to get small roach and rudd. No one else on the lake did much better really but I enjoyed myself and learnt a thing or 2.

James

chris grant

Tuesday - 30 March - Trefaldau Fishery near Monmouth, Gwent.

I have only fished this place once, back last October on one of those days when we had those early frosts. After a slow start then the fishing picked up and I had around 40lb of small carp, crucians and small tench.

Conditions this time we quite simialr in that it was cold overnight but when arrived at the fishery there were laready quite a few people on the top pool - so I went to the bottom pool which is a lot bigger anyway. Without knowing much about the pegs I decided to fish ha;f way along the bank.

The place is an out and out pole venue and the method is pellet.

I had 2 swims going one at around 7 metres and another at 11 metres.

Starting off at 11 metres first 2 put ins tow fish then nowt - missed 2 bites on the trot so moved up off the bottom bit by bit I came upin the water to mid depth - nowt.I tried a shallow rig as the sun was quite bright - nowt.

Came in at 7 metres where I had been feeding quite lightly and letting it settle - bingo. A steady catch rate was maintained for the next 4 hours each fish give a stretch on the white hydro.When I took the net out of the water I reckoned to have at least 50lb - I amnot good at etsimating weights of fish so that may be an understataement but I will settle 50lb.I packed up at 3pm as I had to get home to take my son to soccer but wished that I could have stayed longer.As far as I could see I was the only one onpool ctaching well - and I know the toplake was a struggle.The only reason I could put it down to was the feeding pattern which was light but regular - otheres were duping and waiting and use of the expander on the hook -from my 2 trips there I reckon those tow factors are what have done it for me when others have been struggling.

If you live in sourh wa;les or surrounding areads check this place out - it is avery nice place and the fishing is good andthe carp are very managable on sensible light gear.

My next sess is after the easter hols now as I have to give time to the kids - thinkingabout 3 counties at Ledbury but info on it is hard to come by - anyone know

sapachris

sockman
I am just rushing a bit of lunch before going to work.

As the sun was shining today I had to go and get 3 hours fishing in this morning.
Its a lake 10 mins drive from home.

Isn't nice when you can go and get over a dozen fish from this

to this

in only 3 hours with a bit of old bait from the weekend.

The joys of fishing.....at least I will be going to work smiling.

http://www.sapachris.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Chris

Jonperch

Avon Angler
As promised here's my fishing holiday report from the Isle of Wight [8D]

Saturday 20th March

Arrive back in Chippenham, where Becky (the other half) and myself will be picked up late Sunday by Matt and Deb (matt's other half) to travel to the IOW. We have a nice day with Becky's family before I pop out to the local tackle shop with the credit card [:p] An hour later i depart with 20 of 'bits' and 20 of bait [:D]

Sunday 21st March

As the holiday was planned mainly at targeting specimin carp, which i hadnt done in nearly 2 years, I had forgotton to pick up various tackle like PVA bags, 2oz leads etc so another 10 notes were spent in the tackle shop. 6 o clock comes around and by 9.30pm we are settled nicely in Deb's student house in Southampton tucking into a Chinky.

Monday 22nd March

Up early at 7.00am so we could make our way to the ferry which leaves at 8.30am. Previous to this trip i had suffered from extreme sea-sickness but the crossing was very pleasant and i was fine! Many jokes were cracked as matt and I wound the girls up saying we could see marlin striking out in the open water! Had a nice day out seeing the sights before we signed in just after 4pm, where we set up kit ready for an early start in the morning. A late walk around the lake and a chat with the bailiff was a bit demoralising as we saw no signs of fish and were told the water was very tough [}:)]

Tuesday 23rd March

Well, after an age of waiting it had finally come, we were to fish Rookley Park's Specimin lake where carp to 30lb are present, none smaller than 10lb with some big roach, perch and pike to 20lb. Matt and I set out from the caravan at 5am and were fishing by 6am full of confidence. Three rods each, two of mine on the method feeder, one with a heathrow bait services pineapple pop up and the other with a mossella squid boilie and the third rod with pineapple mossella boilie complete with PVA stringer.

Heres a picture of Rookleys lakes

The morning passed quickly, seeing two carp come out, one for the bailif and another foul hooked fish to the 'guy in the corner'. By this time my confidence was as low as low could be, especially as i had blanked on all three of my previous fishing trips. All six rods between us remained silent, not even a touch. 3pm came and matt went for a walk and a chat with the bailif who suggested we fish the smaller lake, a renound 'runs water' with carp up to 19lb. So by 4pm we moved, spirits low but we still had confidence we could tempt a fish or two. However, the fish wernt playing ball [:(] Matt fish a boilie on the float in a overhanging tree margin with bubbles everywhere but nothing came. I bunged out all three of my rods on alarms and hoped for the best, thoroughly p****d off that my expensive bait wasnt working! By 5pm Matt had had enough and went back to the van, but i had a good feeling about the fake pop up corn i was using on one of my rods. Another hour passed and dark started to fall, so i started packing up. Then, beeeeeeeeep! The left hand rod screemed off much to my disbelief! I struck but no resistance, the line had snapped, probably due to an earlier snag on the larger lake weakening the line. Gutted. Back to the van and to bed, thoroughly dissapointed.

Wednesday 24th March

After a sleep in we made our way west to Yarmouth Pier in the search of some sea-fish. I cant realy give you an in-depth report on this one as im no sea angler being from the midlands but i can tell you it was another disaster! Another blank for both of us. However, it was nice to spend some time with the girls for the rest of the day.

Heres a picture of me lowering a ragworm beside the pier

And the next picture of me snagging up prior to matt doin the same!

Thursday 25th March

Two days left of a fishing holiday that had so far produced no fish! The executive decision was to target a match/commercial (ish) venue called Merstone Fisheries. This place features 3 lakes, one a specimin lake with large carp, tench, bream, another featuring smaller fish like crucians and gudgeon and a final lake known as the match lake, which we fished. The lake contains huge bream to double figures, carp to near 20lb, large tench, rudd, perch, roach etc.

Heres a picture of the venue, note the lines from bank to island in an attempt to spook cormorants.

I set up a carp rod on alarm, with a method feeder and pop up corn cast to the middle of the lake and a quiver rod with 6lb mainline, 4lb hooklength, size 18 barbless hook and a maggot feeder cast within a foot of the island. After a 2 minute wait both matt and I were finally into the fish, regulary catching roach, rudd, gudgeon, perch and the odd skimmer.

By midday we were as happy as larry to get amongst the fish again!

The girls, who accompanied us on this trip had endless fun on the whip, tempting some quality skimmers to 2lb! With all tummys rumbling around 1pm they went on the food run, while a tench picked up my pop up corn and also had a run! The result, a very pale 3lb tench.

No carp made an appearance which was suprising as after a chat with the bailif he was stunned that all the maggots produced from the island swim were roach. All in all though a great day, and my blanking had finaly come to an end in style.

Friday 26th March

Our last day, and after being booted out at 10am we made our way down to Rookley lakes again with the intention of tempting some carp out of the smaller lake. Both Matt and I opted for same tactics, single hookys with a small bed of feed in the form of crushed boilies and pellets. I opted for the open water whereas matt cast to the margin he had fished the previous tuesday.

When the breeze died down and the lake stood still it resembled a sauna, no joke. Carp bubbles everywhere, along with thousands of tench pin-prick bubbles, a good sign. After 10 minutes matt was in, a nice double figure mirror was netted.

The day followed a regular pattern as we both took turns to play and land carp, resulting in 7 carp to Matt, 3 carp and 2 tench to myself and around a million 'bits' to the girls on the whip.

My first fish, a low double figured common

My second, a mirror around 6-7lb

And my final carp, a double figure mirror

Conclusion (!)

After a slow start it was great to enjoy some hectic sport. The girls had a great time too, there is suprisingly loads to do on the IOW along with many, many good fisheries. However, the carp here are aparantly some of the hardest to catch in the country, and after tuesday i would definatelly agree. It may sound silly going to the IOW on a coarse fishing holiday but i fully recommend it to all.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, if not [:p]

Tight lines

Jon

Fisky

Today I fished the Willows open at York. It was a full house... 45 people spread over the 2 lakes, Goldrush and Ridge.

I drew peg 58 on goldrush... a very snaggy peg but a good draw at this time of year. The peg featured a main island at 11.5m with clumps of reeds, and submerged stumps either side. There was also a second island up a channel to go at to my right, at 13-14m.

There had been a heavy influx of cold rain the night before, and with an easterly wind and rain showers, it looked like a difficult day ahead. Despite this i still fished heavy... you simply have to in this lake or the carp (averaging 1.5-2lb) have your rig wrapped round the nearest tree stump at the blink of an eye. I fished a tight preston 12 through just 1 section, coupled with 0.18 m/l and 0.16 h/l, and a 16 pr28.

12pm..... all in. Feeding a small amount of micro pellets and corn, I got bites straight away, foulhooking one before having a carp take me straight in the reeds. In response i shortened the line between float and elastic, and tightened laggy up slightly. landed my next carp, and started catching carp and the odd tench/golden tench and ide, alternating the 2 lines at the first island. I must have put 15lb in the net in the first 2 hours before things slowed down, as the cold rain started up. The lake was fishing very slow all around. I did get a few later to the right hand island, but suffered 2 very bad lean spells, where just the odd fish was sneaked in every 30 minutes or so. I thought these might cost me, but luckily it was the same for everybody else on the lake, and i seemed to be doing ok.

6pm... all out. I eventually ended up with 12 carp to 4lb, and about 12-15 assorted tench ide and chub. I had also lost about 5 carp to snags... but that is all part and parcel of fishing the willows. You have to fish tight to snags to get bites, and invariably there will always be the maniac carp that does you! A weight of 24lb 6oz won me the section by 6oz, and gave me overall 2nd. I was very pleased, and pocketed 95 quid. The winner had 40lb 3oz from peg 44, but i doubt i could have done that weight from my peg on the day.

norm

all in at 12pm

for god sake i have over 50lb by then ///////////then went to the pub lol

click this link now you lot and leave a message in the guest book lol (please)
Birtley Hilda Park FC

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done Ben.[:)]
The only thing missing????
A 1 from Dave.[:D][;)]

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Fisky

cheers Peter

Dave cried off earlier in the week couldnt get on the match as it was full. Im sure he'd have had 50lb though and taken my pound[;)][:eek:)][:p][:D]

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
You're in dreamland again Fisky, Dave wouldn't have taken your 1 !!!

He wouldn't have fished a 12 laccy thro' one section, he'd have had laccy all over the lake with his pole "up in the air" ( with both hands). (I've seen the picture of him at the "Aquarium").LOL[:D][:D]

Well done Ben, BTW where were the "MALMANS" did they fish the match??

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
True, I couldn't get on even with a bribe to the organisers - mind you I found out afterwards that Fisky had offered them more to keep me out !!
Nice one Ben [:)]

I went to the Aquarium with Stu for what was to be a peacefull day of bashing. Got there at 6.30am and fund thatalready 6 teenagers were fishing so we chose two spare pegs and tackled up.
Not long after a few more younguns turned up, followed by a few more and before long there were 12 of them plus myself, Stu and another bloke on a lake that's normally full with 6 [:D]

Chubby Chub and his mate came down for a visit, Haydn came along and by now it qwas begining to look like Tesco's on a Thursday evening
But it still fished with plenty of slivers and tench

One of the lads caught a whopping chub and displayed what could only be described as excellent fish-care with the way he landed it and handled it before returning it proudly to the water.

One up for all the teenagers, they were a hell of a mixed bunch with all sorts of tackle ranging from telescopic beachcasters to whips and lighthouse floats but they were the best behaved kids I've yet to come across on a fishery of this size - even Stu thought so as he didn't need to eat any of them [:D]

The weather was appalling with haevy rain, blustery showers and the rare decent spell but it was a good day all in all - just need to jet wash my gear now to get rid of the mud [:D]

Dave

Free MD's Stickers

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by davidsenior

Here's a face that Beebs will recognise from the Buscot Outing my
"old" mate Bob, who is not yet an M.D.
Indeed I do recognise him Dave. How's he doing? He's persuaded me to invest in a little baitcasting set up. One little go on his one was enought to convince me.

Have a word as well David, would be a good addition to the site would Bob. Very pleasant day at Buscot mate.

If you like my Sig Pic Click Here.

Neo-1

Nick Neo Williams
I went fishing to Hazel Court Carp Ponds, scene of last years and this years welsh fish-in. This was my first ever visit there but certainly not my last.

My first carp of the day was a PB for a Common Carp weighing in at 18lb 4oz, i went on to catch 2 more commons at 10lb 8oz and 7lb 8oz, 2 Ghost Carp at 7lb and 7lb 4oz, A mirror carp of 11lb and a golden orfe at a whopping 8lb.

As my mate Daifish told me not bad for a novice for that water, and poor old Geoffp was just lost for words. Dai and Daniel also told me they have been targeting that Orfe for months now. (ha ha i got it first !)

Here are some of the pictures

Tight Lines
Nick

Nick STOP FISHING MAN You can't catch em all in one go mate.

For detailed venue info for wales visit http://www.fish4wales.com

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Your mate Geoff P is never stuck for words, its just that the words I was going to use were not polite enough for a website such as this. [:D]

Geoff

True friends are like good books. You don't always use
them but you know where they are when you need them.

Fish For Whales

Michelle

Yeah, and from what i heard and read, you had nothing nice to say at all.

Neo-1's Slave

Bable Fish

Numpty Dumpty
Neo-1,
I'm probably taking the bait in relation to you taking the P**s out of feeder fan et al. But you do realise that that is a Koi rather than a golden orfe!!! The golden orfe record I believe is only around 7lb 12oz (but don't quote that)!!

<{{{><

Bable Fish

Numpty Dumpty
Sorry stand corrected record is 8lb 5oz 8dr!! Just been slated for getting it wrong!!

<{{{><

Neo-1

Nick Neo Williams
To be honest mate that's my opionion too, it was the fact that my mates have been targeting that fish as an orfe, I agree with you it looked to me more of a Koi, or i've just broken the record lol, and if i'd known that would have had the other anglers there re-weigh and confirm the species. To me it was a good fish and i'm not interested in records really lol. Just feel good after catching it as it's one hell of a good fish anyway.

Cheers Bable Fish
Of course it could be the very shy and rare coy carp (pmsl)

Nick

Nick STOP FISHING MAN You can't catch em all in one go mate.

For detailed venue info for wales visit http://www.fish4wales.com

Last edited:

Bable Fish

Numpty Dumpty
Its a georgeous fish!! There is something about catching ornamental fish while in the middle of catching the more standard species!! Especially when they break the surface for the first time and you catch the colour. makes the day brighter at times!!!

<{{{><

G

Date 09-04-04
Weather=Hot, little breeze

Baits used, White maggot
Very little red maggot
Halibut pellet groundbait

Today saw Dazb and myself back down to the secret venue.

We arrived at about 9.50, i was hoping that the peg i fished the last time was free, arghhh its gone, not to worry the peg next to it was free,so i jumped in that peg, Daz chose the peg next to me

We decided to fish the feeder again today.
I used my Drennan 12'6" feeder rod with a 3/4oz tip
I think Daz fished with his 11'6" Drennan rod
Tackle set up and away we went

It was not long to wait for the first fish, i got a roach on the third cast, another three followed in quick succession.

I decided to have a cup of tea and a sandwich.
The angler on the next peg was after the carp, grass carp to be precise.
We got chatting, he told me he had been down for 2 days.

After about 20 minutes or so i was back on my peg, things had got slow by then, so i decided to spice up the maggots with a sprey of scopex.
The next 4 or 5 casts brought more roach, 6 in all.

After the last roach was landed, the rod was given a hefty tug, thats not a roaqch i thought, the skimmers had move in, great i thought.
Skimmer after skimmer came to my net, in all i had 11,
The skimmer size range was from this

To this

Meanwhile Daz had decided to fish the waggler float, he cast into the corner of the lake, the wind was blowing in that direction.

Daz was soon into the fish, roach after roach fell to his rod, Daz also landed some perch.

In all Daz had 36 roach and 6 perch.

Here's Daz on his peg putting a roach in his net

And this is the total catch by Daz, a decent net of roach and perch

We had a good chat with the carp angler during the day, he asked us if we had ever fished an overnighter, no we said, you will have to come down and have a couple of night,mmmm, the seeds were sewn.

I think Daz and myself are heading for an overnighter in the near future.

My thoughts of the day.
I had a very enjoyable day with Daz on a great venue.

Cracking day on a cracking venue.

Davidsenior, the carp angler got on about your fish finder mate

Sea angling roolz
Andy, aka Toma

HomePage

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.