What to buy?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fancy getting a decent camera and lenses, mainly for photographing my dogs and landscapes, but also anything else that pops into the view finder. I have only ever had a simple click and shoot very basic compact or my phone camera.

What should I be looking at to start with? Budget up to £400ish

carphauler

Nikon or Canon for me, pick a brand and stay loyal as the lenses generally do not cross fit, also Canon full frame camera lenses don't fit the lower end bodies but you're into megabucks by then, it's all about the lenses.

davylad

Site Supporter
For £400, I'd go second hand, even then you might not get much for that, sorry to say.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
For £400, I'd go second hand, even then you might not get much for that, sorry to say.
What sort of budget would I be looking at to get a decent camera and lenses then? Budget isn't necessarily that tight, I was just thinking I don't want to spend loads and then find I don't actually end up using it. If I doubled it, would that be enough?

Paul22

Site Supporter
I’m no photography expert although I’ve been into taking photos since my grandad used to take me out photographing churches landscapes then we used to develop them in his darkroom.
We even made a camera and took a photo of the back of his house I still have the photo somewhere.
Anyhow I’ve learned over the years that buy a camera to suit what you will realistically do with it so I always have a small one I can carry about and use at a moments notice. As daft as it sounds a good phone camera can get some great shots.
I’d only spend big money on a dslr camera if I was into it in a really big way.
Hope this helps

davylad

Site Supporter
What sort of budget would I be looking at to get a decent camera and lenses then? Budget isn't necessarily that tight, I was just thinking I don't want to spend loads and then find I don't actually end up using it. If I doubled it, would that be enough?
Yes you'd get a good set up if you pushed it up a bit, if you go down the 1.6 sensor, a 24mm - 70mm lens would cover your needs, and there's loads of say Canon bodies about to match. Something like a Canon 60D body and a third party Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX HSM would take pics probably as good as you would ever need for around £600 ish. That's just an example of course, there's a few options. I got my old 20D body out the other week and it produces quality shots, although the viewfinder seemed a bit small to the ones nowadays, try to get as best a lenses as you can, even if it means having to cut down on the body outlay.

Challenger

Site Supporter
Have a look on MBP website, a Nikon D7100 which was the top of the range enthusiast camera a few years ago, you would get a nice body for £350.00 and then choose a half tidy lens, a nice start to you photography hobby.

davylad

Site Supporter
The problem with the Nikon, which was a very good piece of kit a few years ago, will be finding one which hasn't been hammered. it's a good choice if you can though.

carphauler

Have a look at the Canon 800D,good place to start, around £550 at places like Jessops and remember Jessops will price match other genuine shops, I got £90 off a £600 macro lens by price matching.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Fishing Talk 59
62tucker The Club House 60
Maverick The Club House 18
S The Club House 19
dry nets The Club House 14