What the dole don't tell you........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannysdad

Guv
I mentioned last week that Dannysmum lost her job and had joined the mass ranks of the unemployed. She went down to the DOLE to sign on for the first time ever and the info she was given was either untrue or insufficient.

We have found out that in the first 13 weeks she, or anyone else, is not obliged to take a job on less money than what she was on prior to losing her job.
She hasn't rested on her laurels since being finished and has found jobs that she is more than capable of doing but is 1 qualification away from being in with a shout of the job. What we have now found out is, if she turns up at the Job Centre and asks to see the careers advisor and says "If I had X qualification, I would have walked into this job" then they are duty bound to find her a relevant training course. This isn't explained at any stage during the signing on palarva.

Frustrating to say the least!!

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
How do you know this. i was in the same boat but never got any help.

Dannysdad

Guv
Originally posted by johng19

From a friend who was made redundant 2 months ago (now working) whose bro-in-law works for the dole.

The help won't come to you, you need to get the help.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Site Supporter
You asked the wrong question. What you had to ask was "in the first 13 weeks am I, or anyone else, obliged to take a job on less money than what she was on prior to losing her job?". However this wording may not have been exactly correct and so may not have been answered correctly.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
The whole benefits system is so complicated you couldnt make it up!

When I was unfortunate to have been on the receiving end of their "help" a couple of years ago, I was constantly at war with them over the most trivial of things as no one, or any of their websites and leaflets could tell me anything I wanted to know...which was usually "How long do I have to wait until you bloody well help me?"[}:)]

They re a pain in the arse mate.
The only way you ever get any information you need is if you constantly badger them and get in a huff!
Ask politely and you ll get stonewalled.
Stamp your feet, make a stand and a nuisance of yourself and they ll take you into a private office and give you everything you ask for.

[:D]

Halfbean

Account Locked
a sad truth of living in the UK, manners isn't rewarded, just hit the meltdown button its the only way to get anyone to help with anything

groundhog

Life Survivor
Site Supporter
[:)] When I was out of work, I followed the advice of the then chancellor and took a part time low paid job while signing on,because it was so low paid, the tax office exempted the employer from paying tax on me,so consequentially there were no deductions showing on my pay slips,as I was signing on the dole office told me they were crediting my N.I stamp, it was not until I had an accident and came to claim incapacity benefit, it came to light that the dole office had not credited my N.I. and that I was short on my N.I contributions,and therefore not legible to claim, on a previous occasion I was told that there was something I could claim, but because it did not sound quite right,I asked at the office if what I had been told was true, the answer came back "Sorry we are not allowed to give that information out, You just can't win with the jobsworth's

Beebs

Originally posted by Dannysdad

From a friend who was made redundant 2 months ago (now working) whose bro-in-law works for the dole.

Imagine having to take control of your own destiny? Unbelievable.... Wouldn't have happened in my day.

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
"A sqeaking wheel gets the most grease" springs to mind.

I know it goes against the grain with most of us but it's a sign of the times these days, unless you get stroppy and belligerent with the jobsworth behind the counter, ANY counter, you just get the bum's rush.

I'm learning this the hard way in several situations, and it grieves me to experience just how much common courtesy and civility is disappearing from modern life. [:0][:(!]

Rant over, good luck to Danny's mum. [:T]

Last edited:

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
The problem with the 'Dole' is you have to be a RC......

Regular Customer

They don't tell you what your entitled to, there attitude is you should know, but if your not a RC you wouldn't have a clue.....
There's plenty of people who run rings around the sysyem due to living off the 'dole'[:(!]

Dannysdad

Guv
Originally posted by Beebs

Imagine having to take control of your own destiny? Unbelievable.... Wouldn't have happened in my day.
Sorry mate, I don't understand your point?

Beebs

[/quote]
Sorry mate, I don't understand your point?
[/quote]

Well your average frontline dole office worker has maybe 5 minutes to spend with each person (including) turnaround time so that's 12 an hour, 7 hours in a working day - 84 people per day. You sign on once a fortnight, so 840 people they deal with between individuals going in there. It's just not possible to give a personal, tailored service to people.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
My lad has been out of work for 5 weeks now........they won't give him any money because he quit his job (long story) but they have told him he has to go in every fortnight and sign on........they're going to look at his claim again on the 14/8/12

They have told him as he lives with his parent (me) i can support him until they have looked at his claim again, when i went in and started having a go at the cocky twit behind the counter he said "well if you make him homeless we can contact the salvation army and they will give him a bed for the night and a meal" [:(!]

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Trogg

My lad has been out of work for 5 weeks now........they won't give him any money because he quit his job (long story) but they have told him he has to go in every fortnight and sign on........they're going to look at his claim again on the 14/8/12

They have told him as he lives with his parent (me) i can support him until they have looked at his claim again, when i went in and started having a go at the cocky twit behind the counter he said "well if you make him homeless we can contact the salvation army and they will give him a bed for the night and a meal" [:(!]
Don't think that was the answer you were after[:)]

rodring

Site Supporter

I was told to move out of my house and split up with the Mrs then I might get something.[:0]

fishhead

toon barmy
Originally posted by rodring

I was told to move out of my house and split up with the Mrs then I might get something.[:0]
So much for the Government rewarding couples and families.

rodring

Site Supporter
Originally posted by breambreambream

Rodring .. what is like being single and homeless any better ?? ..
Don't know mate didn't take their advice. Apparently nowadays you have to be born into the system in order to get anything out of it,the last 40+ years I paid into it seems to count for sod all [:(!]

Alex Makk

I don't get the system at all, especially when your trying to get advice or help.

I asked when i got finished if there is any chance of takeing mor courses, the reply i got was that they'd have to be paid for by myself. Now I'm currently working with the aunt at her salon to gain some customer experience, money handling etc to add it to my CV incase ever there were somthing at the supermarkets or shops, now been doing it for a couple of week and so far i'm honestly enjoying it, I an't one to sit in front of the telly watching jermery kyle show. But now we're taking over me if i'd want to try barbering(if i've spelt it right?). my questions are where do i go? i can't afford half a grand for a course in my current status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The Club House 31
C The Club House 18
D The Club House 17
S The Club House 50
T The Club House 11