What species would you call this? Goldfish?

Zerkalo

Caught from my local river! I'd hooked it before and lost it but got it in today. To me it looks like a standard GOLDFISH. The kind someone would have had as a pet or in their pond and then dumped into the river. Fairly sure it's not a koi or an orfe. Bit of damage to the mouth but otherwise a lovely fish. If it is just a goldfish from a pond, what would you call it? A Goldfish?

Zerkalo

Maybe. The golden orfe I catch from commies look a bit different to me. I reckon it's an unwanted pet. Didn't think there'd be many golden orfe in there!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Maybe. The golden orfe I catch from commies look a bit different to me. I reckon it's an unwanted pet. Didn't think there'd be many golden orfe in there!
I must admit it does look more like a goldfish. I think you are right that it is probably an abandoned pet.

Zerkalo

Yeah I'm just looking at pics for comparison and I think the yellow eye and dorsal fin give it away as an golden orfe. First time I've caught one from a river though. You can see it from a mile away circling round and round this weirpool.

Zerkalo

No worries Total. Was pleased to at least get it in this time as it slipped the hook just a few days ago. Sure there's only one in there so must be the same one.

Zerkalo

Nice fish! I like the way on lakes they come in so easily, like proper ornate little specimens. This one had a bit of weight behind it in the main flow of the pool, I'd say close to 2lb.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Here's one from the clubs waters, and no, they aren't stocked..

Zerkalo

i would call it a commie where I've been catching golden orfe on a lake but in reality it's just one well stocked (good variety but still loads of carp) and maintained pool. My record orange koi was about 15lb from a place called Lavender Hall about 15 years ago.

MarkW

There's an easy way to tell golden orfe from a goldfish; the lateral line scale count, as on this fish which is a golden orfe, is high 50s/low 60s, and on a goldfish high 20s/very low 30s.

Zerkalo

That makes sense. It's also just dawned on me, they like to stock golden coloured fish around here as it's the black country/staffordshire. So everything is Wolverhampton Wanderers and Sandstone. A lot of the wildlife around here like the butterflies and insects are even gold coloured because of the sandstone. Sounds inane but it's mindblowing to a brummie.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its definitely a golden orfe the ornamental version of the Ide also come in blue.
You can tell straight away by the fins as goldfish have a long dorsal fin with many rays like a carp or crucian but an Ide/orfe is more like a roach much shorter.