What species has eluded you?

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Madness, how was it getting the hook out? Kind of like trying to pee in extremely cold weather, I suspect :ROFLMAO:

MarkW

Madness, how was it getting the hook out? Kind of like trying to pee in extremely cold weather, I suspect :ROFLMAO:
Surprisingly easy as it was nicked right in the tip of the mouth and I was on a size 20 barbless so it came out very easily. At that point the terrapin had yet to withdraw into its shell.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Surprisingly easy as it was nicked right in the tip of the mouth and I was on a size 20 barbless so it came out very easily. At that point the terrapin had yet to withdraw into its shell.
Lucky then, wouldn't fancy trying to wrestle a disgorger down its throat :oops:

bluemack

Site Supporter
I believe you pal. I just thought we couldnt catch a fish ( are they fish ???? ) with a mouth like they have. Gosh they are ugly creatures. Yuk.
To be honest mate i unhooked it with forceps, no way was i going to handle it.Been fishing for 52 years and never seen one till that day.
Quite pleased to have one in the bag though.(y):smoke:

NoCarpPlease

Wels ... never seen one in the flesh
Sturgeon ... I would say that i’ve Not fished a water with them in it but I know there are at least 3 in the river Soar ;)

Bitterling, had a few on the Lancaster canal when practising for a national
Zander, one only ... on maggot from the Avon at Stratford. There were loads in the GUC round here, but I don’t fish for them.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Zander. Spent a good 4 weeks every summer holiday camping down by the the river as a kid (Wissey), Along with going river fishing at least once or twice a month during weekends. Caught tons of Pike & Perch, Never seen a Zander in my entire life.

Perch are my favourite fish, Always dreamed of catching a Zander but it never came. Would love to catch one.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Zander. Spent a good 4 weeks every summer holiday camping down by the the river as a kid (Wissey), Along with going river fishing at least once or twice a month during weekends. Caught tons of Pike & Perch, Never seen a Zander in my entire life.

Perch are my favourite fish, Always dreamed of catching a Zander but it never came. Would love to catch one.
Its on my bucket list also. And to rub salt into the wounds the ex baliff on our stretch of the Trent says he's seen them swimming past while he's been strimming the pegs out. Im going to have to put the time and effort in and satisfy my curiosity. My dad snagged one out of Smeatons lake and wont let me live it down. I think Ive come close once before listening to some pike and Zander anglers. Apparently they are very shy biters and Ive had this on the Trent. Ill get one one day.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Its on my bucket list also. And to rub salt into the wounds the ex baliff on our stretch of the Trent says he's seen them swimming past while he's been strimming the pegs out. Im going to have to put the time and effort in and satisfy my curiosity. My dad snagged one out of Smeatons lake and wont let me live it down. I think Ive come close once before listening to some pike and Zander anglers. Apparently they are very shy biters and Ive had this on the Trent. Ill get one one day.
Ha, That really sucks!

Glad to see I'm not the only one. In all honesty I've never really targeted them, When it came to predator fishing I just took what I got as a kid. Still surprised after all those bleeding hours I'd never caught a Zander though. Had some massive Perch to make up for it.

My cousin had a nice one last year at the Fens, I went with him the following week for a day and of course I didn't get a single bite on the predator rod. Again, had a nice day of Bream, Roach and Rudd though so certainly didn't complain, other than the weather. lol.

I've heard they feed really well at night. Never really helped me at all though... Like you, I'll get one one day but I'm not going to force the issue.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ha, That really sucks!

Glad to see I'm not the only one. In all honesty I've never really targeted them, When it came to predator fishing I just took what I got as a kid. Still surprised after all those bleeding hours I'd never caught a Zander though. Had some massive Perch to make up for it.

My cousin had a nice one last year at the Fens, I went with him the following week for a day and of course I didn't get a single bite on the predator rod. Again, had a nice day of Bream, Roach and Rudd though so certainly didn't complain, other than the weather. lol.

I've heard they feed really well at night. Never really helped me at all though... Like you, I'll get one one day but I'm not going to force the issue.
Like you, Ive caught loads of pike but, the Zander as so far eluded me. From what I've been told and read it is better to target them at night or just going into dusk. And to fish as light as possible. If they feel the slightest of resistance they spit the bait out apparently. Two anglers I stumbled across on the Trent told me to think big perch rather than pike when it comes to tackle for them. A large single hook rather than trebles, the finest of wire traces and small freshwater baits not sea baits like in pike fishing but, most of all, make a rig with as least resistance as you can. That bit of advice seemed very important. By the sounds of things I need to find a deep slack somewhere on the Trent. Apparently this is always a good holding area for them. Ill get one one day ..... Hooefully. 👍

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Like you, Ive caught loads of pike but, the Zander as so far eluded me. From what I've been told and read it is better to target them at night or just going into dusk. And to fish as light as possible. If they feel the slightest of resistance they spit the bait out apparently. Two anglers I stumbled across on the Trent told me to think big perch rather than pike when it comes to tackle for them. A large single hook rather than trebles, the finest of wire traces and small freshwater baits not sea baits like in pike fishing but, most of all, make a rig with as least resistance as you can. That bit of advice seemed very important. By the sounds of things I need to find a deep slack somewhere on the Trent. Apparently this is always a good holding area for them. Ill get one one day ..... Hooefully. 👍
Very interesting. In all honesty, This is probably where I've been going wrong then... I'm very rarely ever using single hooks, Always trebles / traces when I'm looking to predator fish. In all honesty, I've never been the best predator fisherman, Hell, actually I've always struggled on river systems. I was always just a young dumb & very lost kid lookin' to catch whatever I could hook into. I'm probably even worse on the rivers now then when I was when I was a kid :ROFLMAO:

When I'm next on the big rivers, I'll be sure to give this a shot, Who knows I might hook into my dream fish.

I hope you catch one some day chap.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
There's a tonne round Derby on the canal. I used a larger single hook and fine trace as you say, but used worms, as I had been bitten off loads when targeting big perch. Worked a treat. I've usually had them early morning, usually next to far bank on the T&M.

AdeR

You would be extremely lucky to tick lamprey off your list as they are a parasitic fish , so unlikely to take a bait .
Zander would be fairly easy to tick off with a road trip to the fens .