So far I have never caught
Barbel
Zander
Grayling
Grass carp
Shad
Sea trout
Lamprey

It is my intention over the next season to catch a Barbel, zander and Grayling off my list, The sea trout, Shad and Lamprey will probably never have but I live in hope that the opportunity might come along one day

So what species have you lot yet to catch.

SeanB

A few years ago me and some mates were getting shad whilst fishing for mackerel from Bridlington pier using small sabiki rigs. This was September time so if you're any where near the coast that might be an option for you mate.

Sam Vimes

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone catching a lamprey on rod and line, not even accidentally. With that in mind, coupled with their population reduction, it's probably an unrealistic freshwater angling target. All of the rest are possible, some more than others. However, your chances largely depend on the part of the country you live and how far you are prepared to travel. IIRC, the OP lives in Nottinghamshire. It's arguably up there with the best of locations to catch either barbel or zander without having to travel far. Grayling shouldn't be too difficult, plenty of the Derbyshire dales/southern Pennine rivers contain them in good numbers.

Silverfisher

I've had all the standard coarse and game species except for zander, grass carp, catfish and eels but to be honest I have no interest in the latter two. I also haven't had any of the more obscure trout species or shad but don't suppose I ever will with them. I'm big into my species hunting though, I'm up to pushing 50 in England and about 80 odd in total.

Returning to your targets Pat grayling are easy once you find a river with them in. Not really any harder than silverfish. Barbel are very doable in the right places as well.

Poacher Pat Felstead

I've had all the standard coarse and game species except for zander, grass carp, catfish and eels but to be honest I have no interest in the latter two. I also haven't had any of the more obscure trout species or shad but don't suppose I ever will with them. I'm big into my species hunting though, I'm up to pushing 50 in England and about 80 odd in total.

Returning to your targets Pat grayling are easy once you find a river with them in. Not really any harder than silverfish. Barbel are very doable in the right places as well.
Yeah barbel and Zander are the ones I really want to tick off the list. I've never specifically fished for them. I've had barbel on when stick floating but never landed one. This upcoming season I'll remedy that though.

Silverfisher

Pat - I got a bit lucky with barbel really as I cheated by getting the first few in a Stillwater. I always get distracted by other species on rivers but did finally get a river barbel last year whilst on a mixed species session on the Severn.

Maesknoll - the few salmon I've had have been little par whilst grayling fishing but they still count!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Out of the OP's list - grayling, lamprey, shad sea trout & salmon. Caught pretty much everything else

Flounder (from a river), brown & rainbow trout, carp, grass carp, roach rudd, barbel, tench, crucian, chub, dace, bleak, minnow, gudgeon, ruffe, perch, pike, zander, bream, barbel (river and Stillwater), sturgeon, catfish, pumpkinseed fish, bitterling, carassio, golfish, koi and yes, even an F1 :D.

The only fish I would like to catch before too many years pass is a grayling.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I can't say Lamprey because I've never targeted them, but there is one missing off that list that (for me) is very difficult to cross off my list...the Bulhead.

MarkW

Yet to get shad, zander or catfish though hooked my first catfish last summer - "Fish barbel gear, they're only 5 or 6lbs" I was told - the one I hooked was probably 20 to 30lbs and pulled a barbel rod around until it was pointing straight down the line at which point the screwed tight clutch yielded line.
Had English large-mouth black bass, no longer a viable target.

Yuccaman

Master of the Quiz (@ Barbelcatcher's request :) )
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had my first zander a couple of years ago - what was nice was the fact that I specifically went to catch one and did. Grass Carp and Catfish are the two obvious coarse fish I haven't caught. I've had a bullhead in a net, but not on a hook. I've never had a salmon, sea trout or charr. @Poacher Pat Felstead there are plenty of barbel to be caught around Nottingham - drop me a PM if you want me to point you in the direction of some (or the zander for that matter)...

The weird one for me is that in 30 years of fishing, I've only ever caught one eel

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Zander, it's the only one on the list i really want to catch, had a bullhead on a single white maggot out of the Sow a few years ago, Grayling i must be the only guy who was peed off at getting them when i was fishing the Severn at Welshpool every bloody cast i'd hook another one :(

Sam Vimes

I've caught a few bullheads over the years, but even in rivers with loads of them, you rarely catch them. Too many minnows, trout and grayling to wade through before you stand a chance.

Never caught a catfish (wels), but I've probably only tried to a couple of times. There are few waters that contain them in my part of the world. I have seen a few on the bank over the years. The slime and the stink pretty much put me off trying for one again.

Never caught a zander, but I haven't fished for toothy predators in over twenty years. No venues I know of contain them inside 100 miles. I saw a fishing mate land one on the Trent a few years back.

I've seen plenty of lamprey over the years. My local river has tended to have decent runs of them. However, I've never caught one, nor have I ever heard of anyone catching one on rod and line.

I've never knowingly fished a water containing sturgeon of any kind. I don't know of anywhere that holds bitterling, pumpkinseed or carassio. I've no particular interest in any of them.

Grayling i must be the only guy who was peed off at getting them when i was fishing the Severn at Welshpool every bloody cast i'd hook another one :(
I doubt that. I get sick to death of grayling at times. The saving grace is that they'll feed when nothing much else will in the depths of winter. Fishing the same rivers that are full of grayling, I tend to get sick of minnows in the warmer months.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never caught a zander, but I haven't fished for toothy predators in over twenty years. No venues I know of contain them inside 100 miles. I saw a fishing mate land one on the Trent a few years back.
The furthest north i've heard Zander being caught is at Hatfield woodhouse, i know a few idiots were talking about taking some to put in the Wye and another guy was talking about taking some to Ireland to drop in the Shannon system, from what i remember they were "informed" by a fair few fellas that if they put Zander in any of those waters they would be hurt in ways that horror movies haven't thought of !

Sam Vimes

The furthest north i've heard Zander being caught is at Hatfield woodhouse, i know a few idiots were talking about taking some to put in the Wye and another guy was talking about taking some to Ireland to drop in the Shannon system, from what i remember they were "informed" by a fair few fellas that if they put Zander in any of those waters they would be hurt in ways that horror movies haven't thought of !
Plenty in the Trent. That's where I've seen one caught. As they are in there, it won't be too long before they are in the Yorkshire Ouse system, if they aren't already. I've heard to odd whisper about zander in the Tees, but I've never seen any evidence.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
So far I have never caught
Barbel
Zander
Grayling
Grass carp
Shad
Sea trout
Lamprey

It is my intention over the next season to catch a Barbel, zander and Grayling off my list, The sea trout, Shad and Lamprey will probably never have but I live in hope that the opportunity might come along one day

So what species have you lot yet to catch.
If you are after Grass carp try Sutton Lawn Dam

BH88

Grayling for me would be the fish I’d most like to catch. Unfortunately living in Norfolk it is proving rather difficult trying to find day ticket venues with a reasonable chance within a days driving distance!

Would also like to catch a golden orfe but also struggling for venues near me.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Haven't - thus far - caught a Salmon, Grayling, Loach, Bullhead or Catfish.