What hook line?

Lostballs

I always uaed bayer person 1.1 and 1.7 sadly no longer available. The “Stretch” suited my hard strike. What replaces it ? What would you use river, canal match fishing...?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Old style lines like Bayer were thick for their braking strains but made good hooklength material because they resisted tangling and as well as being fairly robust they also had good knot strength.
Modern lines tend to be slightly or very pre stretched so the diameters are reduced but this makes them more prone to tangling lowers knot strength and less tough in some cases.
Bottom line is (see what I did there:D) you pick a line based on what you want it for and try a few until you are happy, Bayer is still out there in some shops either Aitken labeled or Drennan labeled but its still Bayer manufactured or 1 pound or 1.5lb Maxima suits some.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
A long time ago when I used to fish the upper Tees I used Bayer (1.1lb / 1.7lb ) or Maxima (1lb or1.5lb) when float fishing.
I did also use Silstar Match team 0.10mm but found I needed a very small swivel to stop it kinking when stick float fishing.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Must get boring fishing an overstocked muddy puddle where the fish are that easy to catch.

No need to change what you are using if you are catching that easily.

Lostballs

Must get boring fishing an overstocked muddy puddle where the fish are that easy to catch.

No need to change what you are using if you are catching that easily.
That was a joke LOL, serious what lines are you using for hook lenghth..?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Silstar Match team or Preston Powerline would probably suit you best or possibly Drennan Supplex everybody you ask will give you a different answer as it often comes down to personal preference and people tend to stick to what they know like you and your Bayer, some dont get on with a particular line others may love it, the only answer is try a few until you find one that suits you.
Recently most of my hooklengths have been tied in Asso New micron 3 which is the old Fox Pro Micron or on pole rigs Power optex from MAP both of which I find adequate for most jobs and clear river trotting I use flourocarbon mostly and I have tried most at some point.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I just use Preston Reflo Power. Yes it is probably 0.02mm thicker than stated. But I am happy I am getting bites and not losing fish.

Yes it was a joke that some members will find amusing.

Sam Vimes

There's plenty of Kamasan Bayer Perlon in 1.7lb on Ebay.
There's also a bit of original (new old stock) Aiken Bayer in 1.1 and 1.7lb.

GobioTractor

I have recently stopped using Drennan supplex after experiencing a break on the strike with 0.09dia. This prompted me to do some testing at home, and I found the supplex to break too easily even at higher 0.11dia. Reflow power line was much more durable in my test. I use power line as mainline (pole) as it is robust and slightly wirey. I’m now On the lookout for a new hook link material to replace my supplex, may end up using power line but would prefer something a little more supple.

feldri

Site Supporter
All my hooklengths for all my fishing are made with Middy Lo-Viz Flourocrystal. Brilliant stuff and never had a problem with it.

JohnbullGR

Site Supporter
If you fish for silvers silstar match team 0.08 or 0.10 does the job

TrickyD

Site Supporter
After years of using Milo line, I am trying some Konger (as recommended by ukzero1 )
First impression is it's very thin and I may have to take a bit more care tying a hook, but seems to be doing ok.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
TBH With line I find it best to use what your local tackle shop sells the most of.
That way its usually new stock.
I don't purchase line unless its kept out of the light.
Guru N-gauge and Preston Reflo Power are in boxes ( these I use for comercials and natural venues).
My local tackle shops keeps loose spools in the original bulk box so they will have seen little light.
Silstar / Match Team was good line but I had a few bad ones .
The Middy Lo-Viz is very similar but not popular in the shop I use.

JohnbullGR

Site Supporter
After years of using Milo line, I am trying some Konger (as recommended by ukzero1 )
First impression is it's very thin and I may have to take a bit more care tying a hook, but seems to be doing ok.

Have smaller diameter than 0.12mm

TrickyD

Site Supporter

jordie999

Site Supporter
Been using Konger for a few years now. 0.12 for hook length only fish rivers don't do commercials. Sometimes use a line called Zeus 0.10 and 0.12 (off Ebay)