Watches.

BTMS

Site Supporter
The day I left the army took my G10 watch off never worn another one since.. Used to wear it on left arm on the inside.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
One or two people on here say they do not wear a watch, how do you get on with train times or appointments? Lived my working
life to time, can`t leave the house without a watch, feel naked.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Timex Triathlon on L wrist. Been wearing them for about 30+ years, each one lasts about 7-10 years. I never take it off so shower/swim/run/bike proof....just about bomb proof and keeps accurate time with facility for lap times retention/recall when out running. Dress watch bought on impulse 10 years ago never out of the box! I've only changed them when strap bandjaxed.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think these days most young people use their mobile phone to tell the time. Watches are now considered more of a fashion item than a way of telling the time .

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Have you seen the size of some of the watches people are wearing now.

They are massive.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I've got an Omega that my ex wife and her parents bought me for my 21st birthday,fifty odd years ago now,it sits in a drawer and I shouldn't think I wear it five or six times a year but I wind it up and it keeps perfect time still,on a daily basis I wear a Mike Ellis,whoever he is and the only reason I chose that is because it is slim,can't stand those chunky things whoever makes them

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Saw a lad with one of them on in the Pub kev, i thought they had allowed smoking again looked like a friggin Ashtray :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Yes but you have to look at the positive side of watches like that,it can probably tell you the time in Ulan Bator,the temperature in Hong Kong and the time of the next bus between Barcelona and Madrid :D:D:D

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
That is all true, but by the time you work out what time it is, you will more than likely have missed the bus !:LOL::ROFLMAO: Plus of course if you did happen to wear it while swimming the weight would probably drag you to the bottom !

Left, just feels wrong on the right.
Watch on the left wrist, pen in the right hand, phone under the left chin, mug of tea, and blanket of fag smoke hovering above the desks. The watch remains a constant.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Believe it or not but, as a teacher, I see kids (11 - 18yrs) everyday who cannot tell the time unless it is in a digital format. A student asked me the time the other day, I answered "nearly ten to three", he did not have a clue what I meant and I had to change it to "two forty nine".

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I like watches but I seem to have slipped out of the routine of wearing one these days.

I don't own anything fancy, but probably would do if I had loads of spare cash! I'm more an 'affordable' watch man. My favourite is a Citizen 'Eco-Drive' divers style watch with a shark mesh strap that I bartered off my Dad, nothing fancy but I love it, and the eco-drive system seems to be very good in my limited experience.

Backwoodsman

The day I left the army took my G10 watch off never worn another one since.. Used to wear it on left arm on the inside.
Are those g 10 watches any good ? Apparently you can still buy them. Must admit I like the look of the g 10 watches

Sam Vimes

Are those g 10 watches any good ? Apparently you can still buy them. Must admit I like the look of the g 10 watches
The MoD issue watches have been made by various different companies over the years. Variations on the theme are produced by several companies. Some of them have supplied the MoD, some haven't. CWC was the manufacturer of the most commonly seen G10 watches during my service life. It became increasingly uncommon for them to be issued towards the end of my twenty two years. However, CWC still make them and sell to anyone that wants one.

Backwoodsman

The MoD issue watches have been made by various different companies over the years. Variations on the theme are produced by several companies. Some of them have supplied the MoD, some haven't. CWC was the manufacturer of the most commonly seen G10 watches during my service life. It became increasingly uncommon for them to be issued towards the end of my twenty two years. However, CWC still make them and sell to anyone that wants one.
Thanks for the heads up on that. My pal has one he wears it all the time we do a fair bit of beating on some pheasant shoots, so it’s subject to all sorts of weather. Slight thing that puts me off is the acrylic face, much prefer sapphire/glass.

Sam Vimes

Thanks for the heads up on that. My pal has one he wears it all the time we do a fair bit of beating on some pheasant shoots, so it’s subject to all sorts of weather. Slight thing that puts me off is the acrylic face, much prefer sapphire/glass.
I love watches and have far too many. I shoot, beat and fish. I'm also an ex-serviceman. I don't own an MoD watch of any kind and have no desire to own one. The closest I have is a Bulova which I got for less than £100. If you want a beater of a watch, for beating, you'd be better served with a Casio G-Shock.

Feldy

Site Supporter
Have a few, all similar, not expensive, like a simple face not too cluttered

Attachments

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
This thread has prompted me into action: Ain't wore a watch for 10 years but I have just bought this one from Argos £33 with top reviews and usefully with automatic world time changing via radio, which is handy when globe-trotting... Should get me by for a while until I bust the strap or lose it as I usually do... It appears that you can't change the strap on this device!:( But considering the watches low price, I'd just go buy another new one...

casio image.jpg