Volunteer Bailiffs Carole and Hayley land key roles in helping to tackle illegal fishing

• Thread starter The Angling Trust | NEWS
  • Start date
T

The Angling Trust | NEWS

Carole Sanderson (left) and Hayley Goldsmith

Two Volunteer Bailiffs have become the first females to be appointed Area Coordinators with the Angling Trust.
Carole Sanderson
and Hayley Goldsmith will support their Regional Enforcement Managers and co-ordinate local Voluntary Bailiff Service activity with key partners, including the Environment Agency and police, to help tackle illegal fishing and fisheries crime.
National Enforcement Manager, Dilip Sarkar MBE said: “Angling is open to all and so too is the Voluntary Bailiff Service which is now in its seventh year of existence. Although angling remains a male dominated pursuit, there are an ever-increasing number of female anglers – many of whom are equally passionate about protecting our fish and fisheries. We have a number of female Volunteer Bailiffs and I am delighted that two have been selected to become Area Coordinators.”
Carole, who has been appointed Area Coordinator for Northumberland and Tyne & Wear in the North East region, said she had been “an advocate for all things piscatorial” all her life.
She added: “I really enjoy being involved in such an important organisation and I feel it’s important to keep in touch with like-minded VBs. Communication is vital to motivate and inform fellow volunteers, which will be a big part of my new role. I’ve made some great friends since becoming involved and know that we are making a big difference.”
Giles Evans, North East Regional Enforcement Manager, said: “Carole has been an exemplary Volunteer Bailiff for nearly three years and I’m pleased she is now an Area Coordinator. Her commitment to both roles is valued greatly by the Angling Trust, our partners – and me personally.”
In Eastern Region, long-time Volunteer Bailiff Hayley has been appointed Area Coordinator for Suffolk. Hayley said: “I was humbled to be asked to be the VBS Area Co-ordinator for Suffolk. I hope my energy and skills can increase the number of patrols in our area and keep up the good work. I am looking forward to working with the local Environment Agency Fisheries Enforcement Officer and Suffolk Constabulary on Operation TRAVERSE and other initiatives. There is a lot of positive energy moving forward and volunteers are vitally important to any organisation. All volunteers must feel supported and appreciated and I hope to provide that level of support to the VBS in Suffolk.”
Paul Thomas, Eastern Regional Enforcement Manager, added: “Hayley has already been instrumental in arranging joint patrols with the newly appointed EA Fisheries Enforcement Officer and other VBs. Elevation to Area Coordinator recognises Hayley’s commitment and I have no doubt that the volunteers under her stewardship are in good hands.
“The VBS continues to positively contribute in East Anglia, in so many ways, and these appointments are further evidence of how far we have come.”
The Voluntary Bailiff Service is part of the Angling Trust’s Fisheries Enforcement Support Service run in partnership with the Environment Agency and funded by fishing licence income through the National Angling Support Service contract.​

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Well done to those two ladies. (y)

TinkaTinka

Site Supporter
Very well done to you both, nice to see people giving up their time to put something back into Angling.