Vintage Colour Film: Hook Line and Sheffield..a real gem

feldri

Site Supporter
Brilliant. Nice to see the old swingtip in action, and on the train I'm sure one of the card players had a Stillwater Blue float in his hand.
I haven't seen that many anglers on the bank in a long, long time, probably to do with the carp explosion.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
This film is shown occasionally on Talking Pictures TV. In amongst the black and white, vintage and B movies they show you get little gems like this.

I remember going to see a relative who lived in the village of Beckingham that lay on the main road from Newark to the Witham. I would sit on the front wall of the house and watch the coachloads of anglers passing on their way to the river. More than the sight was the sound of the old charabang gearboxes and engines changing down to low gear for the uphill climb from the bridge over the, at that point, narrow river Witham. I probably wished to be going with them rather than spending the day with the "old" aunties and uncles.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Very interesting to watch. I wonder what would be said about anglers turning up in shirt and tie nowadays. The way the fish were weighed in wouldn't exactly go down a storm these days either. And as for spending as much as 40 shillings (a whole 2 old pounds) on tackle...well...the mind boggles.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Always amazes me when I watch what was worn.
Even on an early lovely Summers morning on the Severn you get very wet from the dew on the uncut grass,nettles etc
And that's without having to push your way through the damp bushes down to the peg which has a damp top level of silt all the way down.
If it rains,well..................

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
"This Fishing Lark"!
Lovely stuff, thanks.

The basket makers were certainly kept busy, weren't they, Barbelcatcher? :)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
When you see how much tackle they took for a match compared with today's gear, it makes you wonder. As for some families going and making a picnic out of it while the other half taking part in a match, totally unheard of these days.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Great film thanks for posting it.
Still don't know what a Native American has to do it though ?

Ted Crilly

wonderful, argh the nostalgia is... (wipes eyes)
Perhaps we need a only as much gear as you can carry no rucksacks rule.

When you see how much tackle they took for a match compared with today's gear, it makes you wonder. As for some families going and making a picnic out of it while the other half taking part in a match, totally unheard of these days.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
wonderful, argh the nostalgia is... (wipes eyes)
Perhaps we need a only as much gear as you can carry no rucksacks rule.
Well it does make you think. All the way from Sheffield to the Witham...and not a barrow in sight. :D

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Lovely. So much history. Sheffield (Victoria) to Kirkstead by train. Both stations now closed. The old yellow fin shredding keepnets. Not a Carp in sight. Cane rods with solid glass top.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Ted Crilly, post: 2287903, member: 22440" no rucksacks rule.[/QUOTE]
What is a whicker creel if not an old form of rucksack ?

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Knotted keepnets,fish held with dry rags,fish tipped into a steel pot for weighing,slid down the knotted keepnet back into the water.swung into hand on the end of a tow rope.

Ahhhh happy days
:p:p:p