VERY TIGHT SPIGOT JOINT

GGJD69

I have an expensive DAIWA match rod, the Tournament RS 14ft. It’s been great for about 10 months and I only used it last week for Roach n Chub on the Trent. When I took it out to fish yesterday I could not put it together as spigot had gone really tight. No apparent damage. Any advice appreciated

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Very very fine wet n dry,and try spigit in gemale e and then finish off with candle wax, i have used this on a few rods, Dont put a lot of candle wax on

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If its been fine for 10 months its just a build up of dirt, hot water and kitchen roll on both male and female joints, they can only wear looser not tighter.

trotter2

Like said it's a build up, clean inside and out,male and female ends with soap and water .Don't use any abrasives.If its fit once it should do again.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
Assuming we are talking about a joint that is carbon-fibre to carbon-fibre it is only going to become less tight with use, not tighter, unless it is breaking down and something has become detached from one parts or the other and creating an obstruction. Assuming both male and female parts are in good condition the only reason they will become tight is the presence of something else that restricting the connection. This could be anything from fish slime to dirt or even cleaning material residue.

I think I would use a spout cleaning brush with soap and water in the female part as my first port of call, followed up, if necessary, by an application of cream scouring cream (Cif) to abrade any hardened muck. I would only resort to abrasive papers, such as wet and dry paper, as a last resort.

Please let us know how you get on.

Ralph

Clem

Site Supporter
Personally, I wouldn't get abrasives of ANY sort within a country mile of a 10 month old 400 quid rod. If a gentle clean with water didn't solve it, then I think I'd be calling Daiwa, with a view to getting it back into their hands to be inspected/repaired/replaced under warranty.

davylad

Site Supporter
I only read the other day that a top end Century beach rod had the same problem. I'm waiting for the result, as it's been sent back to century for inspection. It happened so sudden that it can't be a build up of dirt etc, and the rod is only a few months old.