Using a Pole Support

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I use the 1st one shown in the clip, my grandson has a Sensas one that is very similar to the 2nd one shown in the clip, Never had any problems striking or holding the pole, I think they are invaluable in certain conditions.

johnfranks

I use one but only in the winter fishing long and waiting for bites. Also useful on a river when you are holding the float back hard. Takes the pressure of my arms and back. Never use one in the warmer months.

Real ideas

Nick Palmer
Site Supporter
Use a pole support with a clever claw at the rear. Used it this way for years with no damage to pole.
Here is the set up I use when using my Fox front pole support in conjunction with the Clever Claw from 11 to 16mtrs. See www.cleverclaw.uk for more also feeder rod demo and Twister pole rig Hook Ups.

Attachments

Real ideas

Nick Palmer
Site Supporter
The fixed Hooks/Crooks do get in the way as I tried a couple before using my engineering knowledge to develop the Clever Claw. With a fixed rear or side butt support the pole butt can only be just in it by an inch or you will never get out on a take from a big fish.

With the CC's spring releasing arm you can have as much or as little of the pole butt 'out the back' as you like. This make it great if reaching a feature (or a far island bank at a commercial) say at 14mtrs, you can have the half a metre of a 14.5mtr out the back of the claw no problem.

NOTE: I have my box slightly offset to the water line so as not to twist my body to work the CC with ease. The pole also sits across both both legs much better with box offset to 30 to 45 degrees. And same if using a front support with CC by your side (front or back box leg depending on length of pole being fished).

When the Claws arm is released then you will find it will be 'below' the working height of the pole butt. This example is when using the pole across your legs. When using by the side on a front support it obviously does not hinder you at all, again because it releases instantly when you need to get the pole in your control.

All should become clear when watching the demos at www.cleverclaw.uk

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I also use a clever claw sometimes . It's a gizmo that actually works.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Had one found the hook to hard and narrow for the pole, especially at full length. Could have done with mybe a rubber insert in the hook part.
Never done any damage to my pole. But didn't trust it.

Real ideas

Nick Palmer
Site Supporter
Had one found the hook to hard and narrow for the pole, especially at full length. Could have done with mybe a rubber insert in the hook part.
Never done any damage to my pole. But didn't trust it.

Hi John19,

Could tell me if the Clever Claw you thought was to narrow is the first we did the arm being rounded rather than Vee shaped arm?

I ask this as when I designed the first claw I was only fishing with 13mtr pole. It might sound daft but I did not realise there was up to 16mtr poles then!

Once I acquired a 17mtr pole I realised the Clever Claw needed to be redesigned. We made it 3 times wider, Vee shaped arm giving much greater stability in windy conditions. The cross member was dropped to let the pole butt go straight down with nothing to interfere with it. The cross member was there so the claw was inline with a front rest on a one piece arm I was developing. I dropped the arm idea when Penrose came out with one.

All the sections were made thicker to cope with the greater upward pressure of the heavier poles.

I have used at up to 17.5mtrs since the MK2's release in 2007 (not often as most poles massively lose there shape after 16mtrs) and have not had any pole damage or heard of anyone damaging a pole.

If the Clever Claw Mk2 (which I now just call Clever Claw) had damaged a purchasers pole I am sure I would have been contacted.

We now, after me using for so long are totally confident to give a lifetime guarantee on its stainless steel mechanism and against any breakage under normal fishing conditions.

So visit WWW.CLEVERCLAW.UK and buy with total confidence.

I also guarantee you will enjoy all the advantages for pole or two feeder fishing techniques. The CC feeder set ups were not seen by me until i was doing a show and an angler, who said he would not have a pole even if I gave him one told me how he using!

He explained how he used it for method feeder fishing to stop his rod getting pulled in. Also for getting the rod tip much higher than on conventional rest. This gets the line more out of the flow when river fishing.
SEE WWW.REALIDEAS.EU FOR THE 'ROD HELD HIGH' SET UP (This is only on that site) which was my first website. You can purchase there to.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Looks to be the mk2, not saying it will not or does not work for some, I just was not comfortable with it.

Real ideas

Nick Palmer
Site Supporter
Thanks John,
If you purchased after 2007 it would be the Mk2 CC. The extra width and the Vee shaped arm giving contact on two areas of the butt is what made this revised version so much better all round. Admittedly the first CC was far to narrow and the underside of the claw arm was rounded which meant you only had one contact point and on a three times narrower width.

I even used this up to 16mtrs from 2000 to 2007 without damaging any of my poles.

I appreciate if your not comfortable with it then unfortunately not for you. Best fishes, Nick