Using a Pole Support

matiny2k

For Christmas I was given a Preston Pro Pole Support. When it's attached to your seat box, should you fish with your pole resting on it and the pole also across your thighs or should you have it slightly lower and supported in the middle of your seat box (in the pole support area in between your legs) ?

Trust that makes sense !

Thank you

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
I’ve seen them used by having it lower and the pole between the legs.
I would imagine it’d be a lot easier to feed with a catapult like that

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
you use it mainly in windy weather, it helps a lot keeping your rigs stable then

lay the pole on the support and tuck the butt between your legs as you sit on your box, it needs to be tucked under your nuts really

lots of box seats have a cut out or even a cut out and band at the front of the seat made for this very purpose

Last edited:

chris1967

Site Supporter
i was sat using one with the pole in the v section of my seat box ,leaning forward with my elbows and arms resting on my legs .
float dipped under and granted i did give it a rather hasty tug my 7th section snapped clean if half .i put this down to lifting pole 6 or 7" up from end basically just up from the v of the box ,where as if i had the pole going across my leg this would,nt have happened as the pole would have been supported by my under arm from elbow to wrist .
lobbed the pole support in bin and never used one since ,i would use one again only for shallow fishing when spraying when you dont strike at the bites just waiting for elastic to come out .

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Mark Pollard will use his support with the pole across his thighs, you can see that in his video's. As chris1967 said it can and will cause pole damage if your not careful. If you do use it tucked into the pole support i would suggest you use the thicker mini/half butt sections as these are a lot stronger. I have one but not really used it after advice from a fellow angler who carries out all the local pole repairs. He advised to be very very careful as he see's a few damage sections using pole supports. Hope that helps.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Does that include pole support bars out in front of the box ?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
UK Zero thinks it is a pension supplement:p

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Thinking about my pole support put in front of my chair off the foot plate. As l have put a strap/cup on the front bar of my chair. Will l break my pole if l push down on the butt rather than lift it up leaving the butt in the cup. Just got the bloody thing don't want to break it !

Total

Site Supporter
Thinking about my pole support put in front of my chair off the foot plate. As l have put a strap/cup on the front bar of my chair. Will l break my pole if l push down on the butt rather than lift it up leaving the butt in the cup. Just got the bloody thing don't want to break it !
I see, you didn't explain that at first! ;)......I would suggest your new pole being a Tri cast would be more than strong enough for your needs and use in a pole support....The Gentleman above did admit to a serious lift when his pole broke and I beleive he uses a Daiwa Pole.....Which are notorious for broken 5,6 and 7 sections.....

stikflote

Site Supporter
So my tri -cast pole is stronger than my mates Daiwa , great stuff

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The answer is that you can use it either way. It's useful to rest your pole on while you're holding it if the wind is bad.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Bugger. This thread got me thinking, I liked the stick the pole in the the butt flaps on your box...however, when thinking about it, i never do! I always hold the pole and just rest it. It means a strike is normal. I will use it on wndy days and for fishing longer than 13 mtr.
Great post!

rudd

Site Supporter
i was sat using one with the pole in the v section of my seat box ,leaning forward with my elbows and arms resting on my legs .
float dipped under and granted i did give it a rather hasty tug my 7th section snapped clean if half .i put this down to lifting pole 6 or 7" up from end basically just up from the v of the box ,where as if i had the pole going across my leg this would,nt have happened as the pole would have been supported by my under arm from elbow to wrist .
lobbed the pole support in bin and never used one since ,i would use one again only for shallow fishing when spraying when you dont strike at the bites just waiting for elastic to come out .
If it snapped clean in half its a manufacturing fault.
Carbon splinters, it does not snap.

rudd

Site Supporter
If it snapped clean in half its a manufacturing fault.
Carbon splinters, it does not snap.
Along time ago I bought brownings new drag and net - unbreakable margin pole from Vic @ viscount Ipswich.
Less than an hour later I took it back.
I had cleanly snapped a no2 section in half whilst elasticating it.
Vic replaced it straight away - no quibbles and explained the break would have occurred where two cloths meet but have not over lapped meaning that tiny section of pole is only held together by resin. As the resin fractures it can only snap cleanly due to carbon/resins each side of it being very much stronger.

When I slipped over and grabbed a no4 as I went it crumpled and splintered.
Every other pole or rod I have seen break have all been that crumpled/splintered look.

Oldmech

Site Supporter
I use a pole support mainly in winter but don't use it in the seat box fitting for several reasons, 1- it is awkward to get in the beatbox as you are shoving it right out and holding the pole right at the end, 2- look at people fishing with it and they are leant over at an angle which cripples my back, 3- striking is putting a lot of pressure on the pole and your back, so I use the support in conjunction with the standard over the knee position to help in wind but also when waiting for bites in winter again to help my back plus I have a rear support so I can fish "hands free" if needed. Also mine folds down so doubles as a rod rest when swapping between pole and rod.

tonyh24

Site Supporter
Use a pole support with a clever claw at the rear. Used it this way for years with no damage to pole.