ungreatful kids

stephanie

is it me or are kids these day's getting ungrateful I had quick sort out yesterday to try and fit my new margin pole in my holdall (thank you bobco Christmas comp) well while in the garage I came across an old pole maver mongrel top end is grim reaper II down to the 7 section then there are 3 sections of a maver reality its got a couple of repairs on it but 2 top kits it is rough but does work ok well offered it to a kid near me for free he wants to get into pole fishing but parents cant afford pole at the moment he came had a look and then complained that it had repairs and only the 2 top kits and accused me of trying to offload rubbish needless to say pole is back in the garage now when I was a kid any kit was better than nothing and free tackle I always greeted with a smile and a thank you or am I behind the times

daviduk

I guess they are not as poor as you think , his parents may eventually buy him one just not now and he maybe he know this .
Ungrateful...... YES

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
unfortunately Stephanie you are not behind the times. 100% example of the snowflake generation who have been told they can be and have whatever they want. It really grates me but the goods news is that it really makes the kids who are appreciative stand out. My fear is that this cultre is becoming more and more embedded and is only going to get worse. HNY and a great gesture

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Well done you for trying steph, like has been said kids now want the best and want it for nowt.

stephanie

I remember back in the early 80s being given a Shakespeare john Norris float rod had a spliced tip and a few eyes had been tied on with odd colourd thread by the late husband of the lady that gave me it and I appreciated it as a gift that was much better than the rod I had before it but as you all say they expect everything for nothing now yes I do have nice kit but that is from hard work and grabbing bargains and yes getting lucky in a Christmas comp but I dare bet a lot of us had hand me down tackle at some point

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
It dont just have to be fishing stuff that's handed Down Steph, it all boils down to Respect and appreciation which kids nowadays dont have or should i say Dont need :(:(

brian carragher

Site Supporter
is it me or are kids these day's getting ungrateful I had quick sort out yesterday to try and fit my new margin pole in my holdall (thank you bobco Christmas comp) well while in the garage I came across an old pole maver mongrel top end is grim reaper II down to the 7 section then there are 3 sections of a maver reality its got a couple of repairs on it but 2 top kits it is rough but does work ok well offered it to a kid near me for free he wants to get into pole fishing but parents cant afford pole at the moment he came had a look and then complained that it had repairs and only the 2 top kits and accused me of trying to offload poo needless to say pole is back in the garage now when I was a kid any kit was better than nothing and free tackle I always greeted with a smile and a thank you or am I behind the times
Next time he comes on the lug, tell him to do one, ungrateful tw*t

Nice effort on your part though

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@stephanie

That was a very good gesture (y) But if that ungrateful scrote doesn't want it then how about any clubs nearby? I was thinking, if they have a junior section maybe one will be glad of it.

stephanie

Next time he comes on the lug, tell him to do one, ungrateful tw*t

Nice effort on your part though
oh he wont get a second chance
@stephanie

That was a very good gesture (y) But if that ungrateful scrote doesn't want it then how about any clubs nearby? I was thinking, if they have a junior section maybe one will be glad of it.
I will just keep an eye out as only club I really know of is leeds and district

Scribe

Site Supporter
Strewth spoilt brat. I saved up my pocket money to buy my first rod a green glass fibre 6 Ft spinning rod and blue Shakespeare Intrepid (?) reel. I used to fish the local canal with a mate who lived down the road and his dad occasionally took us on the bus to fish a bit further along the same canal. I can still remember when he gave me butt & centre section of a 13 Ft match rod I was so chuffed. Off to the tackle shop to get hollow (plastic ?) Top section and whipped on some eyes with my big brothers help. I thought I had finally arrived having a 'proper' 13 Ft Match rod, happy as a sand boy in the Sahara. :)

derwentboy

Yes, totally ungrateful and without manners....that's apalling. Not all kids are like this though thank god thanks to decent parenting and can recognise somebody making a kind gesture. I'm sure there'll be a junior angler/ junior section that can put it to good use.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
there a lad in telford (Jon Portman) who runs a tackle regeneration project where used and unwanted tackle is recycled to the junior kids in the area. Its a great cause and has improved those kids already fishing and engaged kids who have never fished. He would be more than grateful for your donation.

stephanie

I think I will try and find a more local place to myself or just leave it in garage until I spot someone who could use it

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Steph if ya dont mind me asking up at Kippax ? they do a Kids fishing event every year to try get more youngsters into our sport and would probably be more than Grateful, its run by the Leeds Amalgamation so its no fly bye group and i know the main men (y)

stephanie

I spoke with one of the guys from there the other month they got khv he said so I cant see people fishing there much or as a responsible group letting kids fish there then other waters

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Was that the Polo ? as im on about the one Opposite.

stephanie

no at kippax park the commercial lakes he said they was even unable to add there normal winter stock of trout in there due to it
if anyone knows a local kid that could make use of the pole bring them over to get it but as I said it is rough around the edges

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
It looks like its sorted. Thought so cos some good weights have been coming off the matches (y)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I never say no to anything but l do explain and ask if it ? Is not suitable then is it ok if l pass it on to somebody else, several times l have been asked if I'm going to ebay it and l explain no it will given to someone who will want it.
Amount of times I'm asked now to pass something on.
Found as a child it was wise never to say no, but thank them profusely.
Steph maybe you could email any local clubs around you to find out if they have a junior section and would they like to receive any 2nd hand tackle.
Good luck in your search.