Ully Gulley - Pride of Derby

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Had a morning here today piking on float ledgered deads. Mix of kebab rig, Mackerel tail and Smelts. First time the Trent been low enough on a weekend for ageeessss. (the Gulley fills right up when the Trent rises)

Spoke to a bloke on the bank and the biggest out here recently about 28lb. Apparently about 10-12 big girls in here with the rest being jacks. Might have to have a few more sessions.
Me and me dad both blanked but he had a run at least, bent the 3lb rod double before the hook pulled out. Needs to remember to turn on his bait runner switch :LOL:

First outing on the brand new (but discontinued) 12ft 3lb Greys Prowla Platitum deadbait rods i've just acquired, very impressed with them for the £109 each price tag. Cast out a 3oz lead with a 6" mackerel tail no problems, very light and slim. Lovely through action pulling a deadbait out of the reeds :LOL: Think i'm gonna need to go back to big pit reels though, the Daiwa Emcast BR LT 5000-C on my rod and the (because i haven't got around to getting another reel yet) MAP ACS 4000 FS on my dads rod would be no good distance casting on a big Res, could get maybe 50-60yds but not much further without risking pulling the hooks out of the deadbaits. Good for river work and small lakes but think i need to upgrade before hitting the big pits like Redhouse lake.

I've decided i need to invest in a rod pod, the rods were in some weird positions due to some pegs having platforms and others being filled in with gravel, then having to find the mud to drive in some bank sticks, anyone know of a cheap 2 rod pod that's small and foldable? Don't want to spend £100 really, more like £50 tops.

Last edited:

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Had a morning here today piking on float ledgered deads. Mix of kebab rig, Mackerel tail and Smelts. First time the Trent been low enough on a weekend for ageeessss. (the Gulley fills right up when the Trent rises)

Spoke to a bloke on the bank and the biggest out here recently about 28lb. Apparently about 10-12 big girls in here with the rest being jacks. Might have to have a few more sessions.
Me and me dad both blanked but he had a run at least, bent the 3lb rod double before the hook pulled out. Needs to remember to turn on his bait runner switch :LOL:

First outing on the brand new (but discontinued) 12ft 3lb Greys Prowla Platitum deadbait rods i've just acquired, very impressed with them for the £109 each price tag. Cast out a 3oz lead with a 6" mackerel tail no problems, very light and slim. Lovely through action pulling a deadbait out of the reeds :LOL: Think i'm gonna need to go back to big pit reels though, the Daiwa Emcast BR LT 5000-C on my rod and the (because i haven't got around to getting another reel yet) MAP ACS 4000 FS on my dads rod would be no good distance casting on a big Res, could get maybe 50-60yds but not much further without risking pulling the hooks out of the deadbaits. Good for river work and small lakes but think i need to upgrade before hitting the big pits like Redhouse lake.

I've decided i need to invest in a rod pod, the rods were in some weird positions due to some pegs having platforms and others being filled in with gravel, then having to find the mud to drive in some bank sticks, anyone know of a cheap 2 rod pod that's small and foldable? Don't want to spend £100 really, more like £50 tops.
Fished here a few times a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, never caught much but always got the feeling it held some special fish.

Have a look at the Korum rod pods, @Yuccaman uses one and you can use the extendable bank sticks with it to make it more versatile.

rudd

rd115

Site Supporter

After searching for a while i've managed to acquire the Nash KNX 2 rod pod, was almost impossible to find in stock anywhere but managed to find one seller on eBay.

Should get it tomorrow, looks nice and small and portable (y)

rudd

After searching for a while i've managed to acquire the Nash KNX 2 rod pod, was almost impossible to find in stock anywhere but managed to find one seller on eBay.

Should get it tomorrow, looks nice and small and portable (y)
I have used a Nash one for years and always been happy with it.

rd115

Site Supporter
Fished here again today, still up a bit but fishable.

I blanked again except for one take where I lost a Jack.

My dad banked 2 today, only Jack's but a respectable 4-5lbs for the first and 7-8lbs for the 2nd.

rd115

Site Supporter
Had another bash today but was a bit hard, i had one about 6 or 7lbs and dad blanked. It's nice to get out though 😃

20200101_125548.jpg
20200101_125543.jpg

rd115

Site Supporter
Again today, caught another one about same size as last time, forgive the picture my dad cant work a camera phone properly 🤣

20200103_133216.jpg

About 6lbs maybe? Hopefully catch one of the big girls soon.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
You're catching and thats the main thing, a lot of rivers are still out of sorts and a bit unpredictable

Yuccaman

Master of the Quiz (@ Barbelcatcher's request :) )
Staff member
Site Supporter
Did better than me today. I fished a new water and had a big fat blankety blank - glad you're catching

rd115

Site Supporter
Supposed to be some big perch in here too but not had a sniff of those yet.