Type1 Diabetes!

BHBEDELL

Hey folks. Recently been diagnosed with type 1. I love match fishing. I am Match secretary of our club. Just wondering if there’s any tips out there to keep everything happy, keep our appetite under control and sugars under control? Any feedback would be amazing, thanks beauts!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hi there @BHBEDELL

Wifey is diabetic and takes Metformin. Have you got one of those machines for testing blood sugars? When wifey comes fishing with me she tests her sugars first before breakfast (her sugars run at around 6.6). She packs any stuff for sarnies, opting for boiled ham, salad, corned beef etc. and she's fine all day. She checks her sugar levels at around 7 or 8 at night just to keep an eye on things. She doesn't have sugar in her cuppa, but then, she never has. Apart from that she's a normal eater, enjoying the odd pie or pasty and eats just about anything really, including full Sunday roasts but she's sensible about it. The one thing she takes with her on fishing days is a bag of jelly babies in case she feels 'off it' during the day if her sugar levels drop (don't eat the full bag, just 2 or 3 will be enough), a couple of jam tarts can also bring the sugars back up if they get too low.
If you monitor your sugar levels twice a day you should be fine, but the one thing I will say is don't eat any sweet stuff, not even chocolate biscuits before doing a blood sugar test, it will give a high reading.

Last edited:

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Hi there @BHBEDELL

Wifey is diabetic and takes Metformin. Have you got one of those machines for testing blood sugars? When wifey comes fishing with me she tests her sugars first before breakfast (her sugars run at around 6.6). She packs any stuff for sarnies, opting for boiled ham, salad, corned beef etc. and she's fine all day. She checks her sugar levels at around 7 or 8 at night just to keep an eye on things. She doesn't have sugar in her cuppa, but then, she never has. Apart from that she's a normal eater, enjoying the odd pie or pasty and eats just about anything really, including full Sunday roasts but she's sensible about it. The one thing she takes with her on fishing days is a bag of jelly babies in case she feels 'off it' during the day if her sugar levels drop (don't eat the full bag, just 2 or 3 will be enough), a couple of jam tarts can also bring the sugars back up if they get too low.
If you monitor your sugar levels twice a day you should be fine, but the one thing I will say is don't eat any sweet stuff, not even chocolate biscuits before doing a blood sugar test, it will give a high reading.
May be a bit different for the OP as he is type 1 (insulin dependent).

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have a chat with your GP and explain what match fishing involves, time wise etc. Get his advice ! The internet is a dangerous place to get medical advice.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Nope, wifey is type 1 diabetic and is on Metformin, her brother (type 2 diabetic) is on insulin.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am type 2 diabetic myself. Most type two are not insulin dependent and only need to take tablets and watch their diet.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
UKzero you are incorrect mate. A quick google search will put you right.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I'm not here to argue, all I'm saying is that wifey is type 1..and is on tablet Metformin. Now, there could be different levels of type 1 which would explain things, but I'm no doctor.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
I’m no expert but 7 years in a pharmaceutical/hospital setting and I never once met a tablet controlled person with type 1 diabetes.

People with type 1 diabetes dont produce insulin, a tablet is not a replacement for this.

Im not here to argue either mate but I would definitely look at getting it clarified because I have never seen it before and it appears you may have got the wrong end of the stick somewhere down the line 👍

AndyL

I'm type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) type 2 diabetics can be controlled through insulin/tablets/diet or a mixture of all as a type 1 diabetic I need my insulin as my pancreas doesn't/can't/wont produce any of its own

Reactions: PAB

PAB

Site Supporter
Type 2 is insulin dependent, type 1 is monitored/tablet controlled (Metformin). Wifey is type 1. ;)
Wrong way round old pal
There are two main types of diabetes: type 1 and type 2. Both types of diabetes are chronic diseases that affect the way your body regulates blood sugar, or glucose. Glucose is the fuel that feeds your body’s cells, but to enter your cells it needs a key. Insulin is that key.
People with type 1 diabetes don’t produce insulin. You can think of it as not having a key.
People with type 2 diabetes don’t respond to insulin as well as they should and later in the disease often don’t make enough insulin. You can think of this as having a broken key. both can require insulin and or tablets.

PAB

Site Supporter
always have a packet of Glucose tablets in your car and fishing box they take up little room and are always handy if things go wobbly.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
I have been type 1 diabetic for 40 years this year and also organise my clubs matches. I would say preparation is key. I always take more food than I’m likely to need as you can never be sure the cafe you were going to get your breakfast is unexpectedly closed.
Jelly babies and glucose tablets are my go to if I go hypo.
I always stop midmatch to test blood sugars and inject and eat ( it’s all to easy to get too involved and forget as your bagging )

Above all make sure your club members know that you take insulin and what to do if you have a hypo.

drw

Site Supporter
Good advice and correct dave the fish I also am type 1 diabetic! 4 insulin injections a day

Garys222

Site Supporter
PAB has got it the right way round, sorry ukzero. The advice from dave the fish is spot on, and its always handy to have a 300ml bottle of lucozade in your bag or in the car (remember the sugar content has been nearly halved from April so you will need twice as much if Hypo).
I'll have clocked up 49 years in July as a type 1 Diabetic so have had a bit of practice.:)
BHBEDELL this would have been better posted in the clubhouse not Disabled Angling as its not a disability.