Tying eyed hooks spade end style?

sjmclean

As above, will this work, the line would pass through the eyes, I struggle to tie knotless knots due to my hands.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Yes it will work, something I have done when the eye is too small to tie a knotless. just pass the line through the eye after tightening so as to give the hook the kick in effect. So initially line off the back of the shank becomes off the front once threaded through the eye.

Chris1Richo

Richo
Site Supporter
Would a Palomar knot be the answer, or is this to be used with a hair attached too?

rufcuk

Site Supporter
To use them up i have used eyed hooks tied with a matchman with no issues

T.I

Site Supporter
I'd tie a hair rig and cut the hair off if not needed, gives a bit of versatility.

sjmclean

I'm wanting it to be a hair rig. I really like a particular pattern of hook for hair rigging that doesn't come in spade end.

I'll tie some up and see how the come on.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Don't quite understand. The Knotless knot (which is the easiest way of tying a hair rig) is always tied with an eyed hook - is the problem that the eye is too small?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Don't quite understand. The Knotless knot (which is the easiest way of tying a hair rig) is always tied with an eyed hook - is the problem that the eye is too small?
Or the choice of line too thick?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@sjmclean

A couple of club members have the same problem with their hands. Does the problem lie in tying the knot(s)?

sjmclean

@sjmclean

A couple of club members have the same problem with their hands. Does the problem lie in tying the knot(s)?
Gripping the hook and the line when returning the line through the eye.

This has come out of nowhere, I need my hands to work, I require them massively to do very intricate wiring etc. So currently a bit worries.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I understand. My hands now cramp up sometimes when I'm tying a small hook on the bank. You have my sympathies. I'm sure a mate would tie you some, if that would be acceptable. I'm still struggling to use a hooktier with a spade end - can't get the hang of it after 60 years tying with my hands. But I have been impressed by the Guru ready-tied spade-ends - I'm sure there must be some good eyed ones on the market.

Peezartiste

Site Supporter
I am having problems with my fingers as well due to arthritis and although I have always used the matchman hook tyer I found I couldn't hold the line tight at the same time as turning the tyer. I got one of these and it is perfect for using at home. Not so convenient on the bank however. A motorised version is £20 more, but don't feel the need for that.