Tri Cast Scimitar Canal Rod guide query

Albert H

Just picked up an old Tri Cast Scimitar Canal Rod in addition to a Drennan IM8 super waggler & Daiwa Amorphous Whisker.

All looks in great condition with the Tri Cast, but the size difference between the 1st rod guide & 2nd on the butt section looks strange - completely unlike any other rod in my collection in which the sizes taper down gradually from butt to tip.

The 1st rod guide is large & looks fine like most other rods, however, the 2nd guide is about the same size (small) as the ones on the mid section - a big jump down in size.

Is this normal?

Will casting be affected?

Has anybody had or still own one of these?

I've attached images to show what I mean.

Attachments

adriang

Certainly looks a bit odd. Does the whipping (thread and/or varnish) look different? That might give a clue on if its been changed at some time.

Albert H

Certainly looks a bit odd. Does the whipping (thread and/or varnish) look different? That might give a clue on if its been changed at some time.
The whipping & varnish look identical.

I've never seen anything like this before or on any of my reasonably large rod collection.

adriang

The whipping & varnish look identical.

I've never seen anything like this before or on any of my reasonably large rod collection.
I picked up a couple of second hand Tricast float rods earlier this year (for not reason other than I wanted them). I'll look at them over the weekend.
And that canal rod is a great find, not envious at all!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I could be wrong here but that first runner seems to have been replaced. Going on the 2nd pic (zoomed in), the varnish doesn't look to have the same shine or finish as the other runners on the whipping. Having said that, if it has been replaced, it's been done by someone who knows what they're doing and probably didn't have a runner the same size as the original.
It shouldn't affect the casting though.

Albert H

I could be wrong here but that first runner seems to have been replaced. Going on the 2nd pic (zoomed in), the varnish doesn't look to have the same shine or finish as the other runners on the whipping. Having said that, if it has been replaced, it's been done by someone who knows what they're doing and probably didn't have a runner the same size as the original.
It shouldn't affect the casting though.
By the 1st runner, do you mean the largest guide? I've pointed to the one I think you mean in the below image.

I've just checked the rod & the shine on the whippings, & they're all equal like a Plum colour - so it must've been lighting & my phone camera affecting the image.

The whippings appear to be pink, but they're really like a Plum Purple colour.

I've attached some more images in natural daylight.

Attachments

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
By the 1st runner, do you mean the largest guide? I've pointed to the one I think you mean in the below image.

I've just checked the rod & the shine on the whippings, & they're all equal like a Plum colour - so it must've been lighting & my phone camera affecting the image.

I've attached some more images in natural daylight.
Must be the lighting then, but I have a feeling it's not right somehow.

Albert H

Forgot to mention; the
inners of the guides are all exactly the same colour - like a light brown ceramic material, thinner on one side than the other, so the guides are all from the same manufacturer.

It's definitely a strange setup, and Tri Cast haven't replied to my eMail, so I'm stumped.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
looks like the second ring has been bent out of shape to me, which is not unusual with single legs rings.

Sam Vimes

The second guide is bent up a bit (and slightly deformed) which doesn't help. I've never clapped eyes on a Scimitar before and couldn't say whether it's right or wrong. However, they do look to be Seymo guides (then Seymo MGS Match guides) that Tri-Cast tend to use. Tri-Cast do also have a tendency to do things a little differently when it comes to guides. The continued use of Seymo (Now usually Seymo RDX Match) for a start (when most manufacturers have gone to Fuji or generic stuff), but they've also put single leggers backwards, used single leggers through an entire rod, and have/had a penchant for odd spacing and sizing of rings.

Your Scimitar might not be right, but there's a pretty good chance it is (bar the slight bending and deforming of the second ring).

Last edited:

grey

Site Supporter
I had an 11ft Tricast Scimitar canal rod and it was the same regarding the second eye. Some of their other rods of that era also had abrupt stepping from main to second eye, (the Sterling and Diamond also had a similar guide choice if I remember rightly) so it's not unusual and surprisingly it does not (noticeably) have an effect on casting.

Tricast did do unusual things back then: another one of their traits was having the three sections of the blank all at different lengths leading some to believe they were missing a bit.

If it really bugs you, whip on a new guide with a longer leg, but give it a go first as it's a really good bit of kit, not only as a canal rod, but will easily handle doubles on a pellet waggler as it is a strong and fast blank with all the delicate action in the tip.

Albert H

The second guide is bent up a bit (and slightly deformed) which doesn't help. I've never clapped eyes on a Scimitar before and couldn't say whether it's right or wrong. However, they do look to be Seymo guides (then Seymo MGS Match guides) that Tri-Cast tend to use. Tri-Cast do also have a tendency to do things a little differently when it comes to guides. The continued use of Seymo (Now usually Seymo RDX Match) for a start (when most manufacturers have gone to Fuji or generic stuff), but they've also put single leggers backwards, used single leggers through an entire rod, and have/had a penchant for odd spacing and sizing of rings.

Your Scimitar might not be right, but there's a pretty good chance it is (bar the slight bending and deforming of the second ring).
Thank you for the detailed reply mate. Interesting reading.

With regards the deformed 2nd guide leg, would you suggest manipulating it back into shape or just leaving it be?

There are a couple of slightly mishaped guides on this, but the actual eyes all line up.

I've done a bit of digging on Google images & checking Ebay completed listings, and it seems that I've found the answer to my question.

Check this new old stock Tri Cast Vinny Smith Canal, as well as the Aristocrat & Sovereign - and they are just like mine with regards the butt section guides.

Attachments

Albert H

I had an 11ft Tricast Scimitar canal rod and it was the same regarding the second eye. Some of their other rods of that era also had abrupt stepping from main to second eye, (the Sterling and Diamond also had a similar guide choice if I remember rightly) so it's not unusual and surprisingly it does not (noticeably) have an effect on casting.

Tricast did do unusual things back then: another one of their traits was having the three sections of the blank all at different lengths leading some to believe they were missing a bit.

If it really bugs you, whip on a new guide with a longer leg, but give it a go first as it's a really good bit of kit, not only as a canal rod, but will easily handle doubles on a pellet waggler as it is a strong and fast blank with all the delicate action in the tip.
Nice one for the reply mate.

I noticed the sections were not equal lengths. 🤪

Yeah, it looks like a cracking rod & I'm looking forward to getting on the cut with it with some 10oz hooklengths & pinkies.

You beat me to it with your reply about the odd way they used guides back in the day, because I checked Google images, and the Tri Cast Sovereign, Vinny Smith Canal, & Aristocrat are also unusual.

Many thanks for everyone's input - I'm very grateful.

nejohn

When I bought an image canal rod back in the day I gave the scimitar some serious consideration and if I remember rightly it did have a single leg guide as a second ring but it was quite a big one if I remember rightly, I also have a sovereign from around the same time and That is the same, also the colour of the whipping is certainly a Tri-cast colour from that era and all looks original....very good find and a nice light actioned float rod
Enjoy it