Travelling to venue by bus or train

sapperrich

Ah that's great thanks. I think your right I thought probably leave around 10:00 and bus home about 19:00 or 20:00 and that should pretty much miss the work and school times. Seasons nearly over so I want to be making the most of it?.
You got it, that's usually my plan of attack!

nejohn

A friend of mine lives in central London and likes to fish the canals, smaller rivers and park lakes that he can get access to, he uses public transport, mainly the tube, he has invested in decent travel rods and even a travel landing net handle, he uses a compact chair which doubles as a frame for his rucksack (not sure of the make) , he gets everything in his rucksack and a travel rod holdall ( I think it's a shaky agility) makes everything very compact with no overly long bags , he manages pretty well

rudd

Make sure you check timetables or could have a long night ahead of you.

Luckily in Matlock we actually have a train station and buses from to stations. The transport links are brilliant. I can travel early and late to pretty much all Derbyshire and Nottingham. It'll take me a lifetime to go to all the river stretches and venues!. That sounds great. Like him I got some short rods. I bought the scopes as it all packs down so small. I ended up getting one of the Korum Opportunist Landing net handle aswell it packs down tiny. I think something like 30cm. I got a Korum Latex Folding Spoon net aswell. As it's latex it doesnt really smell. I don't think other passenges would be keen on smelling fish odour on their journey. I've also got the Korum Compact Ruckbag and Areronium Chair which take up no room at all. I don't see as I could do anything more to downsize my tackle.

stikflote

Site Supporter
@Reelfishinggirl Welcome to site,
The fishing at Borrowash would mean a walk ,no buses go down the lane ,and depending which side of bridge you fish Town side is on a Harrington ticket, otherside is Derbyshire county council cost more for ticket

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
@Reelfishinggirl Welcome to site,
The fishing at Borrowash would mean a walk ,no buses go down the lane ,and depending which side of bridge you fish Town side is on a Harrington ticket, otherside is Derbyshire county council cost more for ticket
How is Borrowash fishing nowadays? I fished it a lot in the 80's when you bought a day ticket from the tackle shop up the road. Is it still available on a day ticket? I would love to revisit 'chub alley'.

Just to prove that I am not going off topic. Using public transport was something I did a lot before I got my first motorbike in the 70's. I would often get a bus into Nottingham and then a train to Stoke Bardolph in order to fish the Trent. The bus conductors were always ok with this but I don't know if they would be now; everyone seems much less tolerant nowadays. I think, if you travel light you should be ok. You could perhaps purchase two tickets, one for you and one for your box or rucksac. I have often seen students with huge bags of books, sporting equipment, musical instruments etc on buses with no problem and they are paying a discounted rate by using a student travel card.

I havent been yet but have heard a lot of good things about both Borrowash and Darley Abbey weir.
I believe those stretches and chub alley that you mentioned are under The Earl of Harrington's Angling Club. I think that membership is around £30 for the year. It seems to me that a few of the stretches are accessible via Derby City Centre via either a walk or the bus service looks pretty good. The info about their stretch is as follows:

The river offers all aspects of coarse fishing from fast gravelly shallows (specimen chub and barbel) to deep slow stretches (bream, roach, perch, pike, carp) and grayling and dace are caught throughout. Double figure barbel, 5lb+ chub, 8lb+ bream, double figure pike and 3lb+ perch.

I probably won't be going until after the next river Close season but it sounds good to me!.

That's a really good idea, never thought of buying two tickets. I must say however that I had to catch a bus to meet some friends yesterday evening and a guy came onto the bus with a huuuge TV. Not a word was said to him. I think the point made about the time that you use public transport is the most important.

Corn Master

Site Supporter
@Reelfishinggirl

Yes, I've done it, I no longer drive now. Travelled from West Yorkshire to Chesterfield (Barlows Fishery) with carry-all, rod hold-all and carp seat (couldn't carry the seat box). The first problem was the bus to the train station. The driver wouldn't let me on saying there was to much luggage. The next bus came and the driver said no problem as long as it did'n't interfere with other passengers luggage. The train to Chesterfield wasn't a problem (had to change at Sheffield), I was even helped by the train conductor. I didn't have any problems when coming home from train conductor or bus driver.
To be honest, I think it all depends on the mood of the bus driver, or how full the bus is.

Welcome to the forums by the way. :D
Wow that's a love for the sport 👍

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Wow that's a love for the sport 👍
You could say that. The journey was interesting to say the least. Although when I got to Chesterfield I was gagging for a brew so called at the cafe in the rail station. £3.20 for a cardboard cup of ...well..warm mud. I was glad to get to the fishery cafe. Paid £1.00 for the best cuppa from any fishery.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Travelling light is deffo the way forward... I have a set of the Nash Dwarfs and although I drive now, the kit is small enough to get onto a bus or train... the Dwarf 2 rod sling has provision for a small brolly or shelter so you can keep out of the rain... I tended not to carry a chair... just sat on the unhooking mat... sadly, knees and back preclude this at 60 years old, but for the young its a way forward... a mate has just bought a pair of the 6' scopes, his complete kit is tiny.. even the rods attach to his rucksack... rod packdown size is 30" awesome with a pair of Nash BP4'S.... cute as a bugs ear

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I havent been yet but have heard a lot of good things about both Borrowash and Darley Abbey weir.
I believe those stretches and chub alley that you mentioned are under The Earl of Harrington's Angling Club. I think that membership is around £30 for the year. It seems to me that a few of the stretches are accessible via Derby City Centre via either a walk or the bus service looks pretty good. The info about their stretch is as follows:

The river offers all aspects of coarse fishing from fast gravelly shallows (specimen chub and barbel) to deep slow stretches (bream, roach, perch, pike, carp) and grayling and dace are caught throughout. Double figure barbel, 5lb+ chub, 8lb+ bream, double figure pike and 3lb+ perch.

I probably won't be going until after the next river Close season but it sounds good to me!.

That's a really good idea, never thought of buying two tickets. I must say however that I had to catch a bus to meet some friends yesterday evening and a guy came onto the bus with a huuuge TV. Not a word was said to him. I think the point made about the time that you use public transport is the most important.
To be honest, buying two tickets may not mean you can avail of the second seat for your gear. Seats are for passengers to sit on and most drivers will not let you put potentially dirty fishing gear on them. Luggage racks are for luggage, and if your gear wont fit in the luggage rack the driver may refuse to carry it.

Hi all,
Well... I travelled by bus yesterday without issue. There were other people on the bus that were certainly carrying more than I was.

I took some cleaning wipes and some Rod Hutchinson Net Spray with me. A few wipes and sprays and my tackle was clean and fresh as a daisy.

I got on board with my Nash 9ft Double Rod Holldal and my ruck bag with chair attached.
I put my ruck bag into the luggage rack. Tough as old boots and everything wrapped up nicely inside with the towels that I take.

The rod holdall could fit in front of me when sat down on the back seats.

The bus driver didn't comment on my tackle and even asked me if I had caught anything.

Result!

bluemack

Site Supporter
Hi all,
Well... I travelled by bus yesterday without issue. There were other people on the bus that were certainly carrying more than I was.

I took some cleaning wipes and some Rod Hutchinson Net Spray with me. A few wipes and sprays and my tackle was clean and fresh as a daisy.

I got on board with my Nash 9ft Double Rod Holldal and my ruck bag with chair attached.
I put my ruck bag into the luggage rack. Tough as old boots and everything wrapped up nicely inside with the towels that I take.

The rod holdall could fit in front of me when sat down on the back seats.

The bus driver didn't comment on my tackle and even asked me if I had caught anything.

Result!
Did you catch anything ?

Just a couple of carp no biggies but then I seem to find that a lot of the small ones fight the best anyway.

I have only been fishing since last year so I'm still learning.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
You are a star Reelfishinggirl, hope you meet a fellow angler in your area who you can share transport costs with, just reading your posts you are very dedicated, you have certainly caught the "fishing bug", good luck for the rest of this season and many to come. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY. :love:

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the kind words. Fishing caught me the first time that I put a line into the water.

Happy Valentines to you too and may your floats sink and your rods rap around!

bluemack

Site Supporter
Just a couple of carp no biggies but then I seem to find that a lot of the small ones fight the best anyway.

I have only been fishing since last year so I'm still learning.
You,ll get there,so much to take in with fishing i,ve been fishing for 50yrs and still have plenty to learn.
Remember.........slowly, slowly catchy monkey!!!:);)