Travelling to venue by bus or train

Hi there,

I apologise if this topic has already been covered. It's my first time on this site. Well any fishing site really!.
I don't drive but I would like to travel further afield for my fishing.
I was just wondering if anybody has any experience of travelling by bus or train with fishing rucksack and rods.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Reelfishinggirl

Yes, I've done it, I no longer drive now. Travelled from West Yorkshire to Chesterfield (Barlows Fishery) with carry-all, rod hold-all and carp seat (couldn't carry the seat box). The first problem was the bus to the train station. The driver wouldn't let me on saying there was to much luggage. The next bus came and the driver said no problem as long as it did'n't interfere with other passengers luggage. The train to Chesterfield wasn't a problem (had to change at Sheffield), I was even helped by the train conductor. I didn't have any problems when coming home from train conductor or bus driver.
To be honest, I think it all depends on the mood of the bus driver, or how full the bus is.

Welcome to the forums by the way. :D

bluemack

Site Supporter
I used to many years ago,i would,nt(could,nt) do it now i think i,d pack it in if i had to rely on public transport these days.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I was meeting another MD'er at Chesterfield rail station for a 'meet up' of other MD'ers at Barlows.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I spend a lot of my time down the river and own Nash Scopes due to their small pack down size. I also just take a ruck bag with a chair fixed. I am hoping that this will be OK as I'm not sure I could take any less tackle. My ruck bag is quite compact and my rod sleeve is only about 50" tall so I'm hoping that this will be OK. If not I'll do what you said and wait for the next bus!. I would hope the train will be OK though I have certainly taken more luggage than that on the train.
To be honest I would never give up fishing its too big a part of my life now. I will have to use public transport to go further afield as my disability prevents me from driving. I would rather take the hassle than not go at all.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Reelfishinggirl

You should be fine with those. I find though that the earlier you go, the better chance you have of getting on the bus, it's less busy.

Kev86

I used to do years ago, but now I drive everywhere, Hi and welcome to the site by the way.

Kev

Hi,

Thank you for all your advice. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about it now. Thank you for welcoming me. I like to start as early as I can anyway. I like the rare sessions that I can fish to be as long as possible. Which I suppose is something that most people on here would agree with.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I would agree with that, but then, I fish 3 or 4 marathon sessions a year (48 hour non-stoppers). I also like my dawn till dusk sessions. Not bad for a 65 year old teenager. :LOL:

I've never fished overnight but like you I also like dawn to dusk sessions. I have only just started fishing on the river and I'm now addicted. I like my carp fishing but I've found that once you know where the fish are you've kind of solved the puzzle. I find it a lot more challenging on the river as its rising then falling then fast paced then slower. The fish are there one minute then gone the next. Sure you get to know a few hot spots but sometimes your prebaiting a few swims and then you catch elsewhere. The Derwent where I am can just rise out of the blue and I wouldn't have it any other way!.

biggsy

Site Supporter
I've never fished overnight but like you I also like dawn to dusk sessions. I have only just started fishing on the river and I'm now addicted. I like my carp fishing but I've found that once you know where the fish are you've kind of solved the puzzle. I find it a lot more challenging on the river as its rising then falling then fast paced then slower. The fish are there one minute then gone the next. Sure you get to know a few hot spots but sometimes your prebaiting a few swims and then you catch elsewhere. The Derwent where I am can just rise out of the blue and I wouldn't have it any other way!.
Which Derwent not the Yorkshire one?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I feel the same way about the river Trent, and I live quite a bit away from it. I take it you mean in Derbyshire then? When I lived in Sheffield I used travel to Derbyshire and fish at Longacre, the Erewash canal and Darley Bridge. I used to have a car back then.

Last edited:
No the Derbyshire Derwent. The local resevoir at Carsington takes water out of the Derwent at Ambergate which can effect the flow and depth quite quickly. I am based in Matlock and fish the river there. I am hoping to go to the lower Derwent at Belper and towards Milford and eventually Borrowash. Hence why I wanted information regarding public transport. Do you fish the Yorkshire Derwent?.

NoCarpPlease

By the sounds of the kit - it shouldn't be a problem. I take a lot more on the train when I'm travellling to the airport for a skiing or foreign holiday!

The one thing I'd bear in mind is nets and footwear. Mud and especially fishy smells might be viewed as anti-social.

I think the Trent seems to be the place to be from what I've heard. The fishing there looks fantastic. I do like the the river near me though. The fish are nowhere near the size they are at the Trent but I often have the whole river to myself which I think is special. Where I live its all about the fly-fishing. If you spend time on the river though you will find that the fish are there. It's just like people think that you have to go towards Ambergate to catch anything and it's just not the case.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I know what you mean. There's always that glide or deep run that everyone ignores, and some good sport can come from those.

Absolutely, watched people throwing food over the bridge in the middle of the town centre. Even though its in the middle of town nobody fishes there. The fish have got a constant food supply and let's be honest a chub will eat anything that they can get in their mouths. Which lets be honest there's not much that they cant!. Its why I like rivers so much and why I've got so hooked. You can be fishing the most beautiful and remote spots or the middle of a town and you can catch anywhere. To me there is no venue quite as beautiful as a river, weather a hot summers day with crystal clear water and everything full of life or a muddy coloured fast flowing river surrounded by frosted trees and the chill that I think entices you to rove that bit further!

sapperrich

Site Supporter
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I spend a lot of my time down the river and own Nash Scopes due to their small pack down size. I also just take a ruck bag with a chair fixed. I am hoping that this will be OK as I'm not sure I could take any less tackle. My ruck bag is quite compact and my rod sleeve is only about 50" tall so I'm hoping that this will be OK. If not I'll do what you said and wait for the next bus!. I would hope the train will be OK though I have certainly taken more luggage than that on the train.
To be honest I would never give up fishing its too big a part of my life now. I will have to use public transport to go further afield as my disability prevents me from driving. I would rather take the hassle than not go at all.
Hi, I carry the similar tackle as you and have to use public transport. I just make sure I miss rush hour and school kicking out times, buses pretty quite then. I've only been on this site a few months and believe me you don't need to apologize, they're a great bunch on here.

Ah that's great thanks. I think your right I thought probably leave around 10:00 and bus home about 19:00 or 20:00 and that should pretty much miss the work and school times. Seasons nearly over so I want to be making the most of it?.