Travelling in EU without a passport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is it possible to travel to Spain and back without a passport as a British Citizen, ie with a photo driving licence ?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
If you're driving there's a good chance you'll get through the tunnel or on a ferry going out without showing your passport (but you might be asked....) but no way would they let you back in !

Britsh passport control on the french side is stiff...only place i've ever been asked to leave my car and then be interviewed, on 2 occasions !

once becuase the 3 of us in the car (Me, GF and her son) all had different surnames and 2nd time because I came home a day earlier than originally planned due to my son's illness.

No chance of going through any airport without showing your passport, might be 3 or 4 times before you get on the plane

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Okay thanks for that

flotador

No, as the British don't have ID cards, a passport is the only valid ID for international travel. [:)]

Other nationalities, such as Spain can travel to all EU countries (including the UK) on their ID cards. [:)]

daman

Originally posted by flotador

No, as the British don't have ID cards, a passport is the only valid ID for international travel. [:)]

Other nationalities, such as Spain can travel to all EU countries (including the UK) on their ID cards. [:)]
I thought since Schengen, that once on the mainland you didn't even need id?

tradman

Originally posted by daman

The UK maintain an opt-out agreement from the Schengen Agreement so passport control is still required.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter

certainly i just cross borders of other eu countries without producing on the mainland but often travel to Switzerland so then i need it

Ron Clay

I have been all over Europe by plane, car and train. You certainly need your passport and you won't be able to get back into the UK without one.

The latest passports are very difficult indeed to forge. I forget how much I paid for the last one, but it was around 70 quid.

Passports are the one I/D document that is universally accepted.

Puckleman

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Ron Clay

I have been all over Europe by plane, car and train. You certainly need your passport and you won't be able to get back into the UK without one.

The latest passports are very difficult indeed to forge. I forget how much I paid for the last one, but it was around 70 quid.

If this is true, how come the country is full of illegals.[:(!]

flotador

I dont show it, but my ID card is also used for hiring cars, booking into hotels, verifying that the credit card i produce is mine.....And a hundred other things [:)]

Ron Clay

Originally posted by Puckleman

Originally posted by Ron Clay

If this is true, how come the country is full of illegals.[:(!]
Hanging underneath lorries? Maybe the passports of other countries in Europe can be easily forged?

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
You will get back in, but you will go through a some messing about first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.