Trail camera?

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I'm looking to buy a trail-cam to put in my garden to spot night visitors.
I have seen a badger and a fox over the last few years.
Any ideas, without spending too much?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I'll ask my son tonight, Brian.

He has had about half a dozen different ones over the last three years, mostly cheapo Chinese stuff which lasted about a week before packing up.
He bought a much better quality camera a couple of months ago. Yes, it cost more, but the clarity is superb, and it makes for fascinating viewing.

Similar experiences with the CCTV.

It's amazing what you can catch in your garden at night, isn't that right Barbelcatcher? :D;)

Dusty Rhodes

Chervil

Site Supporter
Brian, I bought this one last year, mainly to get pictures of the Hedgehogs in my garden, which then promptly disappeared! I am more than happy with it, I use rechargeable batteries, which last a few weeks. You can set if you want video or stills, or both, length of video and how many pictures you want it to take each time.
The lens works better the further away the object is, but that said it still works fairly close in. The added bonus was that, if you put a review on amazon they will send you a 32 GB card or a card reader. I was a little dubious, but got the card through in a couple of weeks.

IMAG0024.JPGIMAG0210.JPGIMAG0469.JPGIMAG3014.JPG

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Right, Son's home.

Bushnell are good, but he bought a Browning, based on the excellent unbiased reviews on the website:

You can view examples of video captures from their various cameras, on the website.

Hope this helps, just hope also that you don't get too many bears in your back garden! :oops:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
This is the one I have (Earthtree). I think it's a slightly newer model but it's basically the same unit.

EARTHTREE Wildlife Trail Camera 14MP 1080P HD Hunting: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

It's pretty reliable, load up with 8 rechargeable batteries and charge half of them ever other week (leave the others in keeps the time date correct).

Had no problems with it once set up and images are a reasonable quality.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
That's great - you can tell what it was you slipped in, when you went out on the decking!
Rather smelly stuff, I believe? :sick:

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Thanks all. :waving:
Banksy....Hi Dave, that looks a great camera but too expensive for my needs.

I looked at all the above links, and some others, and get the idea that they don't come with an SD card as standard.
I was expecting to buy a trail-cam, unpack it....add my batteries and place it in the garden......job done.
Trail cam review:-"...and this one was ready to go out of the box, just add batteries and an SD card and follow the menu."

Am I being a bit naive and/or missing something?
'Just add batteries' I would have expected, but add an SD card.....no!
Do they operate without a card?
Do you have to bring the whole unit inside to view on a PC?

Chervil

Site Supporter
Thanks all. :waving:
Banksy....Hi Dave, that looks a great camera but too expensive for my needs.

I looked at all the above links, and some others, and get the idea that they don't come with an SD card as standard.
I was expecting to buy a trail-cam, unpack it....add my batteries and place it in the garden......job done.
Trail cam review:-"...and this one was ready to go out of the box, just add batteries and an SD card and follow the menu."

Am I being a bit naive and/or missing something?
'Just add batteries' I would have expected, but add an SD card.....no!
Do they operate without a card?
Do you have to bring the whole unit inside to view on a PC?
Brian,
Mine didn't come with Card or Batteries(I use Poundland rechargeables, which I find really good). I think at the moment mine has a 16 GB card in it. When I first got it I had the video option on as well, which obviously uses the memory much quicker than just stills. But it will also depend on how much movement is in your garden. I take my card out to view the pictures, but it also comes with a cable. I look at mine every 2-3 weeks, I normally have loads of battery life left and about half a card.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Just ordered the 'Chervil recommended' trail-cam plus a card and 8 rechargeable batteries.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Just ordered the 'Chervil recommended' trail-cam plus a card and 8 rechargeable batteries.
When you use it, it is a bit of trial and error to find out length of video and how many pictures you want it to take etc. Saying that it is really easy to set up, just remember to format the card on the menu. I'm at work at the moment, so don't have the box with me, all I did was search it on you tube and followed the set up with them.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
First night, a black cat.......then a fox.......then a badger.......not a bad start, still not set up completely but couldn't wait to get recording.
Fox arrived first and ate all the peanuts, then the badger, too late...all gone. He didn't look too pleased.

I was trying to upload the videos but kept getting an error message.

p.s. Ignore the time and date, not set up yet.

IMAG0033.JPGIMAG0041.JPG

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I use an "APEMAN" camera with great success - I will append details later - have to get to an appointment for 9:30

Chervil

Site Supporter
First night, a black cat.......then a fox.......then a badger.......not a bad start, still not set up completely but couldn't wait to get recording.
Fox arrived first and ate all the peanuts, then the badger, too late...all gone. He didn't look too pleased.

I was trying to upload the videos but kept getting an error message.

p.s. Ignore the time and date, not set up yet.

View attachment 12907View attachment 12908
Really glad that you're pleased with it. If the bit of paper is in the box about the review on Amazon, then worth doing.