Trail camera

62tucker

Site Supporter
I got a trail camera.. A camera you leave out and comes on when something walks in front of it..
Had it on shed roof all night and brought it in at 1 pm. And just watched the footage..put some bread and seed out..
Birds never started to feed till 8am. I thought it be earlier than that..
Got some nice close ups of magpies. Pigeons. Plenty of blackbirds..One had short tail..maybe last year baby but not sure. Think got a glimpse of a thrush and a nice little Robin.
Theres a few little bird go in next doors tree as she got feeders hanging in there but none came onto my shed roof..
Enjoyable new hobbie.
Hope its useful for fishing.
Maybe see whats going on outside my bivvy when doing overnighter or might be better off not knowing

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Good luck - I got something similar too (I assume you saw my thread earlier with the photo). I'm using an Earthtree TC600.

I had it set up wrong on the first night, but it took a shot of something in our apple tree that could be a weasel/stoat, but it's not sharp enough to know what it was and with no video there no way to tell. I dont think it was a squirrel at that time of night.

We saw some mouse activity last night as well, but had some water on the lens so most of the footage was fairly poor.

Hoping for better this evening. The magpies have just eaten the few peanuts I put out earlier, so plan to rebait once it goes a little darker.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by spanky

I dont think it was a squirrel at that time of night.
I was sat watching the cctv one night (well, about 2am) when movement on a roof caught my eye....thought i was watching rats running along the guttering and then realised it was a family of squirrels!

Philocalist

Slightly off-topic, but one of the most surprising things I saw was several years ago, sat watching animals outside feeding, via infra red. It was a regular feeding station with all sortd of stuff left out by the owners, and attracted all sorts of 4-legged beasties after dark, including the local moggies. The surprise was watching foxes appear, and approach the food only to be seen off repatedly by one or other of the cats, typically very agressively ... I'd always assumed that domestic cats might be on the menu for a fox?

frankg

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Philocalist

Slightly off-topic, but one of the most surprising things I saw was several years ago, sat watching animals outside feeding, via infra red. It was a regular feeding station with all sortd of stuff left out by the owners, and attracted all sorts of 4-legged beasties after dark, including the local moggies. The surprise was watching foxes appear, and approach the food only to be seen off repatedly by one or other of the cats, typically very agressively ... I'd always assumed that domestic cats might be on the menu for a fox?
If it is an older, small or sickly cat that may well be the case, but if it's a healthy cat in its prime, then it would take a brave fox to take it on.
A cat is very well armed, etremely fast and will attack the face and eyes. As a fox relies on sight to feed and hunt, it runs a big risk of getting seriously injured if tackling a healthy cat.
I've seen our cat just sit on the drive full of confidence with a large dog fox only a couple of meters away. The fox made no attempt to approach him....which was probably a wise move as I've seen our cat take on other toms....and he's frightening! [:0]

Last edited:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I've just checked the footage from last night... many visits from the local mouse, a walkby from the cat and then nothing - I think the lens frosted up at about midnight and anything after that failed to register.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I got mine set foe a photo then 30 seconds video

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
would any of the camera's mentioned emit a warning glow or flash - thinking on putting one on a moderately used footpath to see what is about at night - but concerned that the odd late night walker may see it and remove it.

Feedback welcomed.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
It doesn't flash, just uses IR technology to record. You can set them up for photo, video or both with a wide range of settings.

They are quite discrete - mine is about the size of a large bite alarm, camo coloured and has a range of fixing options (screw mount or strap mount). It's range is about 4-5m so you might be able to position it out of arms reach.

Technically you might need to put up a CCTV warning sign, but not sure where you stand on this.