Top kits

Paul22

Site Supporter
After using all these top kits what do you do with the rigs considering they will have probably been shortened etc, straight back onto a winder or bin them and remake the rig.
Another good question.........
I always put mine back in a winder a lot of the time I tie hooks direct so if I think the hook has seen better days I bin it if not I put the hook back in my magnetic hook box. I then wind it on a winder and sort it at home.
If I haven’t had to shorten it too much I will just re-use it but if I have chopped a lot off I will either make a shorter rig up just changing the float and take a bit of shot off or if it’s too short bin it.
I also get a pen knife and open all the stotz and re-use them.......if it has been re-used already I will bin it you know if it’s been re-used by the damage done to it from opening it previously.
If you use it too many times it just slides up and down the line.
I never throw floats away most times they are ok just to use but sometimes I will re paint it if it’s required if it’s damaged I will tinker with it if it’s knackered I keep it so I can make repairs to old floats. You can replace broken stems or tips using old floats.
If the rig had an hook length I always replace this as this is the bit that gets hammered........ having said that if I didn’t catch much I will leave it on.
If I’ve trashed a rig I will use the line to make hook lengths if I think the line is ok so it’s not wasted.
I always save float rubbers/silicone.
Blobs or float stops get re-used as there is a way of getting them back on the wire .......simply save the blob/float stop on about 10 inches of the line it was on then get the wire loop it was on and tie it to the line with a single granny knot you will find the blob/stop will slide back onto the wire just cut the bit of line off.
It might seem like a lot of messing about but I don’t usually use more than three rigs so it only takes me a few minutes to sort.
I have copied or followed Neil of the nenes advice and only make rigs up on .13 and .17 line and a couple on .19 for margins so it’s all pretty straight forward.

map

Always bin the rig. My OCD couldn't handle not knowing how long a rig length is...

Fred Davis

Nothing worse than putting on a margin rig only to find the rigs to shallow ;-) Used to do it but now just trash the rig as I need to know that it's all perfect with no weak spots.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
It also depends on knowledge of the venue, the more you know about a water the less top kits you need as you have a really good idea what will and won't work.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
If you use Connectadjusts there's no problem with shortening or lengthening rigs.